It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick RAM question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hey i've got a Vista machine. AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 2.30GHz

Currently has 1024mb ram.

My old computer recently blew up
and i had a 512MB DDR400 RAM in there. Can i put it in my Vista machine? I ask only because i remember reading somewhere that sometimes some machines need to have the same type or Ram or something?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
You'll need to check the Type of RAM that your new machine/motherboard takes. Most likely your 512 stick is DDR and the new machine uses DDR2... one or the other, you can't mix them.

I've worked with a few boards in the past that allowed for both PC133 and DDR memory, BUT you have to use one or the other... not both, at the same time.

The best way to check is to look at the PC/motherboard manual or find the make/model printed on the board itself.

Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by iCEdTenG

Download this utility to check whether what memory is installed in your new system.

CPUID

Go to memory and you can see the memory type. If its DDR2, your motherboard can only accept DDR2 memory modules. If its DDR, you can try installing the DDR400 memory.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hey thanks for your reply i thought there was something to do with the difference in RAM just couldn't remember whether it was size of stick or type of stick.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by amitheone

Thanks for that program very helpful i was trying to find something like that before but it would just tell me the size of my memory and not the type. Yep it seems it is DDR2 and im guessing my old stick is DDR as i bought it a few years back. All it says on it is LEGEND 512MB DDR400 so i'm guessing that's not DDR2?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
No. It's not DDR2. Don't worry, we are in the same boat, lol. I just bought 2 weeks ago a 1 gig stick DDR400 and last week, my 5 year old motherboard and PSU went smoking. What bad luck!

So, I bought a new computer with Core2 Duo on a Gigabyte Motherboard with solid capacitors with 1 gig DDR2-800. This will last me for long.
I can't use my new DDR400 stick, so I guess I've to sell it.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by amitheone

Hey!!!!

Neat program...

Thanks...

Semper

top topics

join