It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powell: Iraqi intent sufficient to justify war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Hmmm read this:

"I think it was clear that this was a regime with intent, capability and it was a risk the president felt strongly we could not take and it was something we all agreed to and would probably agree to it again under any other set of circumstances," Powell told reporters on Tuesday.

I think somebody said that before around here but who was it?

good article, check it out:

www.rense.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Thats good enough for me. And I'm in Iraq so....

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by medic
Thats good enough for me. And I'm in Iraq so....

I understand that you are serving in Iraq right now, and I, in no way, mean any disrespect. I am wondering why it doesn't bother you that the entire premise for the war was a lie? I mean, if Bush & co. hadn't claimed that Saddam posed an immediate threat to the US, none of the 500+ American casualties would have occurred. Even Powell said that he's not sure he would have gone to war if he had known the truth.

Asked if he would have recommended an invasion knowing Iraq had no prohibited weapons, Powell replied: "I don't know, because it was the stockpile that presented the final little piece that made it more of a real and present danger and threat to the region and to the world." He said the "absence of a stockpile changes the political calculus; it changes the answer you get."

Asked whether the American public should be reassured that so many intelligence agencies were so wrong, Powell replied: "I think it should be reassuring to the voters of the United States that we found a regime that's clearly demonstrated intent and clearly had the capability, and that the president had the information from the intelligence community."

So all of the lives that have been lost as a result of this war, were justified because of some threatening future "intent", and faulty information from the intelligence community?

I realize that no one, especially those serving in the military, wants to believe that the country they are sworn to protect would betray them. Even if you don't feel used or misused, I feel it for you and I wish all of the men and women serving overseas right now safety for the time you have left and a quick return home.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
At this piont it's like "water under the bridge" for me. I mean is; i'm already here, and saddam is gone. So what was wrong in the past doesn't bother me that much anymore. I mean everybody is dwelling in the past so much. Iraq is better off with out saddam, so to me it was still proactive for us to be here. Justmy view though.

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Medic,

so what do the average Iraqi's think? Do you get a chance to interact with them at all? What is the general concensus over there?

posted on Feb, 4 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
A lot of countries have intent to protect their resources, and Iraq was one of them--oil.

Saddam and Iraq's innocents, and hopefully their future, will be much better after toppling the dictator.

I just think that it would've been better if the U.S had went with U.N. approval and alternative methods of removing Saddam's regime.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I talk to Iraqis on a daily basis here, mostly workers, but all the same. MOST iraqis are happy we're here, especially children. but sometimes i still get the finger, and yelled at, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I mean they act like i'd expect them too. But for the most part alot of Iraqis like us being here.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
medic,

now if we can just get the average american to see hear and believe what you just said then this will be a done deal a lot faster.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Yeah, exactly.....the problem is perception is everything and the media dosen't feed anything positive to them. All we here about is attacks, riots, looting, ect. And don't get me wrong we are still getting attacked alot. Probably more so than when saddam was still on the loose, but the people in general seem to be on better terms with us. I mean we got mortered yesterday at 5:45 am here, the attackers missed anything important, but it's still a crap way to wake up. But when the workers came on camp they seemed to be as pissed off as we we're about it. They talk alotta crap about the insurgents and especially about saddam. These people are excited about a new start. And for the most part I like em. They are agreeable people. And they always try to share they're lunch with you.

top topics

join