It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat 5 Sidr strikes Bangladesh (Over 1000 killed)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

DHAKA (AFP) - A powerful cyclone packing winds of up to 240 kilometres (155 miles) an hour has hit Bangladesh's southern coast, the director of the country's meteorological department told AFP Thursday.

"The cyclone has battered Bangladeshi coastal areas. The centre of the cyclone is crossing the Khulna-Barishal coast near the Baleshswar river," Samarendra Karmakar said.

The area is close to Bangladesh's border with the Indian state of West Bengal, which is also expecting highly destructive winds and torrential rains.

scienceblogs.com...

Gonna cause some trouble over there. 6m tidal surges expected.

[sorry if posted elsewhere, did'nae see it]

[edit on 15-11-2007 by melatonin]

[edit on 16-11-2007 by asala]

[edit on 11-16-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Here is another article on the cyclone which hit Bangledesh earlier:

Powerful cyclone causes havoc across Bangladesh, forces evacuation of hundreds of thousands

A cyclone that slammed Bangladesh's southwestern coast with winds of 240 kph (150 mph) crossed the country Friday after leveling homes and forcing the evacuation of at least 650,000 villagers, officials said. Two people were reported killed.

Tropical Cyclone Sidr buffeted coastal areas with gale-force winds, driving rain and high waves when it roared ashore on Thursday, forest official Mozharul Islam said in Khulna, 135 kilometers (85 miles) southwest of the capital, Dhaka.

I hope for the best for those who were victims of this storm.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
glad someone finally posted this. I read about the evacuations this morning... I hope Bangladesh make it out of this okay, they are so prone to flooding that I worry many will be homeless after this.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Reports so far are that 500 + may have been killed so far and this number will rise,

I know that many here in the UK have family over there,

My heart goes out to them all,

news.sky.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Officials: Bangladesh cyclone kills at least 425

That is such bad news, definitely not what I wanted to hear this morning. The govt is even admitting their having trouble keeping count of the number dead.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Hate to be the bringer of bad news, but the death toll has jumped significantly.

Cyclone Toll Reaches 1,100 in Bangladesh

ugh.. this poor country has more than it share of natural disasters and deaths.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Yeah, my heart goes out to these people. One of the commenters on Chris Mooney's blog posted this earlier:

It has been 24-hours since Hurricane Sidr made landfall on the Bay of Bengal coast in Bangladesh. Last night, there was hope that the brunt of Sidr's force would be felt by the less populated areas of the Sundarbans, the mangrove forest that stretches along the western third of the coast. It looks now that the storm hit the coastal belt pretty much dead center, in the district of Bagerhat- a highly-populated area. A friend who runs clinic in the town of Mothbaria, one of the towns in the very center of the devastation, says that there is hardly anything left standing, save a few brick and concrete buildings.

The roads are also gone, washed away by the storm surge. She's unable to go to her clinic only 2 kilometers away. There is no electricity. Food and supplies are scarce, and she estimates that in a few days there won't even be enough rice to go around. Most alarming is that a large number of women and children seem to be missing.

Nearly all of the country has been out of electricity for the last 24 hours, and phone services have been severely disrupted. (Of the numerous phone calls that I have attempted to make, only two have gone through so far.)

linky

Good message from Sheril Kirshenbaum on the blog as well.

[edit on 16-11-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Islamic Red Cross say toll may reach as high as 10,000

Ten Thousand!!!!!!!!!

I feel so sad for this

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Looks like it may even get higher,

This really is a terrible event,

Aid agencies say the number of dead could rise to 15,000.

A government official declared the disaster "a national calamity".

news.sky.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
God this is terrible...

Can't even imagine what it's like, but I pray that this situation is calmed soon...

Is anybody sending aid here?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
last i heard aid was being sent but only able to reach 1% of the people

very very sad indeed..dont they go through enough without natural disasters always hittin them?....one of the few times i feel bad for natural disaster victims

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Very bad cyclone. My heart goes out to everyone over there and their families else where. Mother Nature can be very brutal at times.

top topics

join