It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gordon Brown won't rule out UK role in Iran.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What, you mean that the British prime minister is once again sucking up to the American president by making decisions against the peoples wishes?
[/sarcasm]

Lets face it, one day we will pay for the Americans regime and world conquering ways when we are wiped off the planet by a nuke, wouldnt take much for a tiny island like ours really.

[edit on 11/11/07 by eagle32]

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hello my fellow Britains! Good to see you all posting here.

Brown is just as bad as Blair and will say anything to try and look good, despite the fact he is taxing us all to death!

I watched the Queen's speach at the opening of parliment and thought that it was excellent, in my opinion you could see her input into the content of the speach, showing a moderate line for government policy to follow.

She expressed concern of Iran's possible nuclear proliferation, but indicated that the proper channels should be followed in line with our European allies.

I was also pleased to hear her pledge to help with the troubles in palestine.

Love her or loathe her, I think she is a wise lady.

Brown is just rattling the proverbial sabre here, one of the first things he did was to remove troops from Basra, in light of public opinion. Although I feel that they should have helped the Iraqi's out for a bit longer.

As for Saddam, life in Iraq was better for the majority under his rule, I know the gassings etc, but we didnt exactly jump right in ofter the event did we?

Also we havent gone into Darfur or got rid of Mugabe yet.

Anyway, just my two pennies worth! Good hear from you guys!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeepCoverUK
Love her or loathe her, I think she is a wise lady.

The government writes the Queen speech you know...she doesn't. Government decides the agenda and she reads it. Nothing wise about that.

As for Saddam, life in Iraq was better for the majority under his rule, I know the gassings etc, but we didnt exactly jump right in ofter the event did we?

He did it straight after the first Gulf War and we slapped sanctions on him (again)

Also we havent gone into Darfur or got rid of Mugabe yet.

I found out the other day, Britain already has a small number of peacekeepers in Chad (I'll find the source, think it was the FCO) and hopefully we will remove Mugabe soon.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
He did it straight after the first Gulf War and we slapped sanctions on him

Infinite....

The gassing of the Kurds happened in 1988. The Gulf War happened in 1991.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is also being discussed along similar lines here ;

White House Frustrated with Brown over Iran

With associated interesting comments

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Infinite....

The gassing of the Kurds happened in 1988. The Gulf War happened in 1991.

You sure?

I thought he gassed them for supporting the coalition in the first Gulf War

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There was a conflicy post GW1 in Iraq, in which Bush the First pledged support to Shia and Kurdish fighters if they overthrew Saddam.

Needless to say, the support never came, even they did rise up.

They got massacred, but mostly by conventional means. I don't remember any reports of gassing's, to be honest.

It is the reason why the two No Fly Zones were set up, however, to stop Iraqi Air Force Helo's and Jets bombing Shia and Kurdish area's.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Halabja poison gas attack

The world sat on its backside and didn't give a toss about Saddam Hussein, or what he had done. Even during the first Gulf War it wasn't an issue.

Its only been since the second Gulf War 15 years later, and the susbsequent lack of WMD finds, that the issue has been fudged and the gas attacks were used as a justification for ousting Saddam Hussein.

After the first Gulf War no fly zones were set up to prevent Saddam persecuting Kurds who had wrongfully believed - because the US had given them indications of support - that they could oust Saddam Hussein. As it happened the allied forces backed off and didn't undertake a full land invasion of Iraq because - and this is the sick joke - there was no legal mandate for an invasion.

The lack of legal mandate didn't stop an invasion happening in 2003 though after the Iraqi army and airforce had been decimated, and after 12 years of sanctions.....

[edit on 12/1107/07 by neformore]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hello again,

Just to clear up about the speech, I know it written by the government, in conjunction with the Queen.

Technically she can refuse to read parts of it and or change the content.

Watching the speech, I could see her influence over the content (in that she had sat down and reviewed/amended the content with the government) it seemed more moderate than the government noise that we hear all the time.

Once again, all the best guys

I just noticed how bad my speeling is at three am

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join