It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a real American?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!

I think that the point been made was that an American is anybody born in the continent of America.

When you see Unites states, that is where you are born if born in the US territories.

But Of American means that the Unites States is located in the Americas.

I was born in the Caribbean Island of Puerto Rico, funny that when ask about my Nationality I will say American.

Like Jedimiller posted everybody born in the continent of the Americas is actually an American.

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
So if sombody born in Puerto Rico, who cant speak english, and has never been to the United States travels to Germany, and sombody asks them what nationality they are, will they say American?

posted on Nov, 11 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

Yes, we are Americans because we are located in the Americas. Also PR is a territory of the US so that makes us citizens of the United States even when we are not a state.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I dont remember seeing tons of American Flags being flown in Peurto Rico on the 4th of July.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

Nope I am an imaginary American.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I am an American....

I am NOT some obscure citizen of the world, nor do I ever want to be or intend on being as long as I draw a breath..

obscure citizen of the world?
so far as i've seen it, those in our history who consider themselves as citizens of the world have been far from obscure

two examples that pop into my mind would be gandhi and einstein...

I appreciate other people being patriotic to their countries because I am to mine..

I was born here..

so?

Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American. Being born here in America doesn't make you an American.
-Malcom X

I fought for this country..

I bled for this country..

I continue to fight for this country..

ok, question for you.

unless you fought in WW2, how did you fight or bleed for this country?

every single war you could've fought in within what i'll logically assume is your lifetime hasn't been in defense of the country.

and anyways, so what if you were born in this country?
would you help a down on his luck american over a down on his luck foreigner just because he's an american?

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Madness,

I am sorry,

I completely forgot how you always respond to my posts or I would have avoided this thread...

Allow me to restate the following..

My beliefs are my own, they are not here for you to judge.. What I have done and why I have done it, you can not possibly understand..

So, again, I apologize for creating any drama, such was not my intention..

Thank you

I will be more careful from now on..

Semper

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
no one is a real american. Real Americans are the natives who lived here before the migration took place. from all over the world, America is a place where everyone who hates the rest of the world wants to live.

In essence, if you hate your country and come to America you are saying. "You know something, I hate my country, so I'm going to American, because in America they will accept me as I am"

that's when you become an American, when you get that freedom to be part of something else. And when you add to the democratic system.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Someone sent me a quote by Theodore Roosevelt on being an American:

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

OK So what about all the people who come here to hate America? Are they American in your mind? I guess in your eyes the 911 hijackers were American too, What about all the scumbags I saw burn American flags in front of a veteran cemetary while they were holding forien flags? .Anybody who lives here who is from another country who is willing to soak up all the free rays of sunlight America has to offer but willing to leave for their other country is not American, I hate to break it to you, but a lot of people come here not to be American, not to care about America, but to get whatever they can from it then leave.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

you're right, your beliefs are your own and also, in the case of fighting for america, nothing more than beliefs.

unless you took part in the civil rights movement, the women's rights movement, the homosexual rights movement, or any of those other "fights" for freedom that this country has experienced, you haven't fought for this country.

not a single military conflict since WW2 has been a fight for america. you can't defend this position, so you'll just deflect like you did. this isn't about drama, it's about a position that you hold that is entirely idiotic.

oh, and if you want to say i can't understand it, it's just an insult to both my humanity and my intelligence.

[edit on 11/12/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

I think you're confusing the words race and nationality.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tac109

We celebrate the fourth of July as all the federal holidays just like the US main land.

Also we fight and die in wars just like anybody born in the US mainland.

So just because every house in PR doesn't doesn't have a US flag during the 4th of July doesn't make us any less US citizens.

I have never seen a PR flag in my parents house in PR either, does that makes them less Puertorrican.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You are an American if you choose to be. Citizenship has crapass to do with it because how does a group of people (the Government) get ordained the power to dictate what nationality someone is? It has nothing to do with where you were born or where you grew up. It's what nationality you identify yourself with, in this case "Nation" being the body of people and culture we are referring to. Traditionally speaking, a "Real American" would object to the idea of Citizenship completely as Government recognized citizenship did not exist in the USA until after the Civil War. A "Real American" would also object to welfare, social security, Pre-emptive wars, a two party system, "Democracy", medicare/medi-caid, and they certainly would not be interested in Public Education. Keeping the historical ideals of being an American in mind, how many of you claiming to be an American could honestly say you support the type of "Americanism" that existed prior to the Civil War. Other than slavery I am all for it and I am proud to say I am an American. A Floridian first!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Interestingly, I have many friends from Guam, and I just got back from there. They see themselves as American, and are very patriotic. I don't see why people from the territories HAVE to see themselves as American (it's their rights as Americans to think what ever they want), but it is cool to see someone from a small island in the Pacific connect to the same beliefs as me.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Its funny how everyone in this country who says they are American and say lets close the boarders is saying that now that they are in but no one living in America now is a True America sure you call yourself one because you live here but it wouldnt be if at the time when your ancestors who first came here were turned away because they did not help create the USA. Everyone here is here because their parents migrated here or their great great grandparents who ever it may be that came here did exactly that migrate here for a better life free of religious oppression or for a better opportunity or maybe to just live free and not be in a dictator controlled country. Unless of course your Native American which is the original Americans they were here first then the other Americans came and murdered them and took their land and double crossed them but hey thats how it got started and if it really bothered me that much I would leave but it doesnt because I was not a part of that time in the USA. I am here now and am doing what I can to make this a better place for my kids and yours mind you.

I fly two flags why not because I feel I am both but because I am an American but I do not forget where my family is from. You dont fly another flag because you dont know where your from and if you did you would be proud to be from there and not hide it. ask your parents or grandparents what flag they flew I bet it wasnt american only you are probably the generation who grew up here and know nothing of your heritage or maybe you do but dont care for it who knows Im only speculating of course. If this country went to war with the country my ancestors are from I would fight for the USA why? because I only know the USA I was born here I lived here and I will die here! (Does that not make me American enough for you)

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

If this country went to war with the country my ancestors are from I would fight for the USA why? because I only know the USA I was born here I lived here and I will die here! (Does that not make me American enough for you)

Makes you enough of one for me my friend... Fight beside me anytime..

I fly two flags as well, One Marine and One U.S... LOL

You are STARRED my fellow American..

Semper

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I am a Coaster,

I am a New Zealander,

I am a Taswegian,

I am an Aussie,

I am a Sao Paulino,

I am a Brazilian.

I have been known as each of the above at various times in my life and will probably add to the list before I die. I am a citizen of the world, I own my footprints and where I lay my head is home.

I am Earthling, I am.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
pride goes before a fall.....more important to be a Human Being...tribal fighting rampant with nationalism...important to recognise we are ALL related, one human family all actually related....when we can see this truth, we will realize all the trouble thoughout history has been one big Domestic Dispute....Family Fued......GB

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by M4K4V3LI

All im saying is that I dont like people who call themselves American, then when America gets into some trouble, their suddenly from somewhere else. I have learned a lot from all of you that have posted here and I thank you it has opend my eyes a bit wider you could say,

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join