It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Board ignores moment of silence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Board ignores moment of silence

www.lincolncourier.com

EVANSTON - Evanston-Skokie School District 65 has decided to ignore legislation mandating a moment of silence in Illinois public schools, according to school board members.

The seven members of the district's board agreed they shouldn't force teachers in the district's 16 elementary and middle schools to observe the law. They took the action Monday after failing to get a waiver freeing the district from following the law.

"We have no intention of either prohibiting or forcing compliance," said board member Katie Bailey.

Illinois students are required to observe a moment of silence at the beginning of every school day under the law passed last month over Gov. Rod Blagojevich's veto.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hi all! This is an AP news story on an issue that's local for me (Chicago Area). I look at this and applaud. I'm not an atheist, by the way, and I don't think a moment of "contemplation" during your day is a bad thing. But, I believe it should be a personal, individual choice of how and when you do it.
The story here, I think, is the fact that it's a law, passed in Illinois that requires a Moment of Silence to be observed by all schools, public and private. A LAW!
Now, the Evanston schools aren't the only schools who have been ignoring the law. I know that Woodland School District in Gurnee, IL, aren't enforcing this law either.

Good for them!
Cuhail

www.lincolncourier.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

join