It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Cuba be next?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Earlier this month, Bush Administration officials accused Cuba of joining forces with Venezuela's leftist government to destabilize democratic governments in Latin America.

President Bush last year named a commission to speed up a post-Castro transition to democratic rule in Cuba.

Havana is worried that Cuba could be the next on Bush's list for a regime change after Iraq.

"We don't want a conflict, but we will not give an inch on our principles," Castro said in a rambling five-and-a-half-hour speech.

www.washingtonpost.com...

I thought Cuba wasn't really hurting anybody else...who knew. I guess we are going to try "smoking this evil doer out of his cave."

I'm not that naive to believe that we've never had a plot to overthrow Cuba, but it sounds like Bush is trying to speed up that process. It appears that he is wanting to walk in there and shoot Castro in the head.

Interesting post-note on this is that the Bush administration has been looking at Venezuela. (See: One of the biggest oil producers) Not saying the administration is all about the petrol, but there seems to be some "strategerry" in the nations we have been looking at.

[Edited on 1/30/2004 by OXmanK]

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Oh, yeah, there is definatly a motive other than stated to the war in Iraq. For sure. But, this coming from a soldier in Iraq, we are really not in any position to go after anybody for the next couple years. At least not major combat ops. Like here. so i wouldn't worry.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Not right now, at least. There has been plenty of chatter of the draft here lately...

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I replied to that one too, and i'm telling ya'll, there ain't gonna be a draft. You gotta have serious paranoia to really think there is a draft coming. I really can't stress it anymore. i don't know how to make ya'll believe, but i'm telling: It ain't gonna happen

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
If all this war is really about regime change and not oil......why aren't we looking at China?

Is it because China could put up a fight that we "the bullies" of the nations don't want their "lunch money" or is it because China doesn't have the oil?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Lol after the fake IRAQ war. The people where lied to for oil and $$$ reasons.

I don't think public will support a war in the next 10 years

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yeah, probably not. but if you remember we already tried to shut cuba down once. Probably has somthing to do with the current situation there. Also, completly off subject, but whatexactly is fake about the war over here?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think the american people are next, "we" need to take a hit. Then we can move on. We need to have it so there is no need for draft. Make people go. All of the CRAP going on in the white house, with C.I.A. , its is all a trick. I though the C.I.A. knew of 9-11 two weeks before. They are saying they know nothing?
No WMD ? But we have the best intell. What is chatter then if the C.I.A. knows nothing? Please fellow americans Dont fall for the smoke and mirrors.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Once Castro is gone, it's going to leave a power void that the US can easily exploit. It is different from Iraq. Once Hussein died, his sons would have taken over, then their sons ad nauseum. There was no 'waiting it out' in Iraq, unless lettingf the Husseins control the nation until one of them can't knock up a woman counts as waiting

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
good point indeed. however, it would seem kinda odd if castro didn't have someone lined up to take his place wouldn't it?

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by medic
good point indeed. however, it would seem kinda odd if castro didn't have someone lined up to take his place wouldn't it?

It would be odd that he didn't, but then again, it wouldn't be too odd if he didn't.

Also, whoever takes his place won't have the absolute love of the people. Castro has been in power nearly 50 years. He's no longer just a leader, he's a national symbol. You gotta admit, Castro hasn't done too bad of a job making a Communist nation (alot better than Russia did, anyway), all things aside.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
If all this war is really about regime change and not oil......why aren't we looking at China?

Is it because China could put up a fight that we "the bullies" of the nations don't want their "lunch money" or is it because China doesn't have the oil?

It's because China has nukes, a huge land mass to occupy,and a huge army that would be almost impossible to defeat without using WMD.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yes, Castro as well as Venezuela's left-wing government has been working hard against democratic governments down there, but I don't think the U.S. is going to make such a move as with Iraq. Central and South America will be handled the same as we have been doing.
Being concerned about the oil is a waste of time, as it was during the Iraqi war. The U.S. is not taking oil as so many lunatics warned. We aren't even taking the oil-related construction contracts.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

It's because China is a greater asset to the US independent than it is under military control (that and the fact that any war would be a stalemate). Invading China would disrupt their economy, and in turn the world economy.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
yeah, messing with china would have disadvantages dealing with more than just the military side of things. Economy is a good example. And yes, iraq, probably was more or less about Oil, but not in the idea that we were gonna steal it. I think it dealt more with stability of oil. If it did indeed deal with oil. but we definatly arn't stealing it. and castro definatly did make a strong communist nation. I can't help but think that whoever he attempts to put in charge after he is gone will be liked by the people for the simple fact that Castro put him there. I could be wrong though.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Probably more to do with the 1+ Billion Chinese and the large nuclear arsenal.

Not to mention China threatens the US with a nuclear strike about twice a year.

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by medic

I had heard in various discussions the no particularly hidden agenda of the US towards Cuba was effectively wait for Castro to die, then normalize relations.

Crazy old coot can't live forever.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I don't know, Castro has been doing well in outliving a whole assload of people...

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Bush has the habit of telling his constituents whatever they want to hear and then betraying them. Why should this case be any different? I would only worry about an attack on Cuba if he stood to benefit financially, very substantially, from it. Otherwise the cost(risk)/benefit equation doesn't work.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
so with financial benefits in mind, how does Iraq justify your oppinion?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join