It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the Universe so Beautiful?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I was wondering this while my jaw was a gasp from the utter beauty of the visual universe.

While going through images at Hubbles main site hubblesite.org...
I was struck by one of the photos...

Notice that every single bright spot is a potential life bearing galaxy. Does this not look like a flower garden in full bloom?

With that being said, Is there a reason for the beauty of the universe?

I believe that such as a flower attracts a bee, Galaxies, with their obvious optical splendor, attract other life.

Why else make something so appealing to the eye?

Whats the point of a beautiful Universe?

Thanks

[edit on 7-11-2007 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I've got a simplistic explanation for it -- people like bling. The heavens above look like lots of bling.

Can that work?

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Yes, simplistically that works.

I will stop pondering out loud now......

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Chaos within a system of rules will always be beautiful. It excites the mind when seeing other physical things acting in ways that we think. The universe has the same careless abandon we all wish we had the [snip] for.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

Very true indeed.

I think it was made all perdy like so life would get off its proverbial [snip] and take a gander.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I think anything natural is naturally beautiful. There is so much we don't know about life.. infact we know practically nothing.. but of the few things we do know, one thing is for certain... that universe we all look out at at night and see photos of is RIGHT THERE. We are supposed to explore it, we are supposed to be out there checking it out but insteat of finding ways to do it, we are piffling about because 'it's dangerous' or too expensive.. hmmm hold on WAR is VERY dangerous and VERY expensive... come on forget war, if we found somewhere else to live we could have a planet for each of the religions!

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Now imagine some nutjob arrive at the conclusion that "all life derived from dead matter in a chain of coincidence".

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Now imagine some nutjob arrive at the conclusion that "all life derived from dead matter in a chain of coincidence".

Go on... please elaborate

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
I was wondering this while my jaw was a gasp from the utter beauty of the visual universe.

... Is there a reason for the beauty of the universe?

Why else make something so appealing to the eye?

Whats the point of a beautiful Universe?

Thanks

crows also find shiny things appealing,
pack rats are inspired to covet all sorts of things,
one person's visual of a night sky might be said to inspire beauty to behold,
i think it's more awe...

beauty and awe are both higher mind attributes, but that attraction is not much more 'deep' than crows & pack-rats behaviors

enjoy

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The universe was created by the devil along with everything physical.

The reason nature and the universe is made to look appealing is to distract you from your important spiritual development. Your eyes, which are creations of the malevolent one, are programmed to find certain patterns and intricacies beautiful.

It's just another distraction.

As usual it looks like the devil has retained your soul.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
We are supposed to explore it, we are supposed to be out there checking it out but insteat of finding ways to do it, we are piffling about because 'it's dangerous' or too expensive.. hmmm hold on WAR is VERY dangerous and VERY expensive... come on forget war, if we found somewhere else to live we could have a planet for each of the religions!

Nicely said,

You are right. We would be joining the intergalactic neighborhood, but I guess killing people is more important.

Very sad.

SD
So the universe is so appealing because the devil made it as a distraction?

Interesting.

I thought that the devil was a fallen angel. If that were so, wouldn't eyes or other ocular devices be invented/created by some sort of "god". How would the fallen one not stub his toe on the coffee table every single day without something to look through.

But I like the devil idea, its still logical!!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

So are you saying that by putting a rat in space he would want to collect all the shiny stars? I don't believe a creature such as a rat can be in awe. Unless of course that rat was put into a cheese factory

Thanks for the replies people!

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Seeing pretty, sparkling colors triggers a genetic response in us that tells us safe food and water may be nearby. Colorful berries, sparkling water, etc. That makes us happy.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
because we choose to call it beautiful

that's my little zen tidbit for today, glad i found an outlet for it on ATS

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
it gives me a sense of anxiety, all that unknown space..

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser
it gives me a sense of anxiety, all that unknown space..

It gives me a sense of wonder, and I love that.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I find it boggling that the visible universe is so infinitely ginormus. Wonder and anxiousness are definitely feelings I get when pondering the black expanse.

Thanks for the replies

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
With that being said, Is there a reason for the beauty of the universe?

God wanted to inspire his children!

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Well said!

Inspire lifeforms with apparent beauty.

In order for something to be beautiful. A life form must gaze upon something beautiful. Is this saying that in order for you know the universe is beautiful you must have ocular devices to see the beauty?

Are eyes a requirement for beauty. Why would the universe be appealing if you couldn't see it? Are eyes really that universal?

new topics

top topics

join