It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats up with the FCC double standard?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Fine fine fine Howard Stern, BTLS, and other "explicit" people

But yet Oprah and Tyra Banks and say pretty much whatever they want?

www.youtube.com...

Oh no it's ok to have a puppet of a sexual organ and talking about its functions.... mind you this is audio and visual

Or how about 'rainbow parties'??? Oh no it's ok for Oprah to do a segment on it right?

The rainbow party was first publicized in October 2003 on the Oprah episode "Is Your Child Leading a Double Life?", which was about the perceived trend of increasing sexual promiscuity among American youth and the lack of parental awareness of the supposed sexual practices of their children.

en.wikipedia.org...(sexuality)

How about Howard Stern talking about something equally as explicit???

In another broadside at Howard Stern, the Federal Communications Commission today fined Clear Channel Communications a whopping $495,000 for last year's broadcast of an allegedly indecent bit on the King of All Media's popular radio program. Acting on a listener complaint, the FCC hammered Clear Channel over an April 2003 broadcast during which Stern and his cohorts discussed their sexual practices and the use of a personal hygiene product called "Sphincterine."

www.thesmokinggun.com...

Oh it's ok only a 500,000$ fine that's it.....

The FCC is seeking to fine Clear Channel for segments of the Bubba the Love Sponge show, which aired on four Florida radio stations between 6:30 a.m. and 9 a.m. It was the single largest fine ever proposed for indecency.

www.news4jax.com...

That's it??? Oprah or Tyra nothing.... And I'm not defending Imus but even in his situation it was not as bad as what Tyra did in the above youtube video

I would just like some opinions on why the FCC is so crooked, thanks

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
You're totally right on this. It's nothing but a double standard. The only reason people like Oprah and Tyra get away with it is because there fan base is composed of the same bleeding heart crybabies that bitched about HS and Bubba. The FCC more interested in keeping these people quite than upholding fairness. Good post!

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It all starts with someone filing a complaint. You can do this by just filling out this form:

fjallfoss.fcc.gov...

They will act on it but a real person has to complain in writing first.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I will try a complaint, but I doubt they will do anything to their precious Oprah.... Really though did anyone watch that Tyra video how can she NOT get in trouble.... FCC? Please tell me

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The FCC has an odd patchwork of rules and regulations about content, and they're just not going to be "fair" anytime soon. And it doesn't really matter.

Are you finding it difficult to get your fill of swearing or graphic sexual imagery or discussions? Then what's the problem? At this point, everybody can pretty much choose whatever degree of filth they want to be exposed to. So the system seems to be working just fine.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
But it isnt the point of what the people want with the fcc, it's the people performing.... Why should some dj out of Florida be fined 750k and Oprah get away with it? Yes I can find whatever I want but how about the people being fined 750k is a lot for a local dj out of Tampa Florida.

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
But it isnt the point of what the people want with the fcc, it's the people performing.... Why should some dj out of Florida be fined 750k and Oprah get away with it? Yes I can find whatever I want but how about the people being fined 750k is a lot for a local dj out of Tampa Florida.

Let's face it life's not fair. Oprah and Tyra are safe, they don't threaten anything. I don't consider Howard and Bubba revolutionaries, but perhaps they are cultural revolutionaries in a sense; b/c they are always pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable in American culture.

new topics

top topics

join