It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant garbage patch floating in Pacific

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Here's the latest satellite image of it:

Burnnnn.....lol. But seriously.. thats friggin sad

posted on Nov, 17 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   
A garbage mass this size floating around in the ocean? where can i find pictures of this?

Pics or its not real....

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
A garbage mass this size floating around in the ocean? where can i find pictures of this?

Pics or its not real....

Well, I imagine photographing actual trash in the ocean can be deceptive..why not watch the videos and see the Pieces of plastic and trash of various sizes found on the beachs and floating in the water.

Plastics alone are a huge issue.

The level of garbage in this reported zone is 6 pound of trash for every pound of plankton. Pretty sad

Were talking about floating plastic as well as plastic that is all the way to the sea bed. Personally, I was looking for things like milk jugs and bottles, but then you see the reality of plastics when they are broken up into pieces and they appear more like beads and such.

The problem is compounded when plastics bond with other toxins in the water and become more toxic then they originally were when they entered the water.

Being a citizen of the Puget Sound region, people used to want to see proof of the problems associatted with arsenic emissions. In addition, like the tobacco industry, while executives who testified in court claimed that nicotine was not addictive and such...time told a different story.

Garbage in the ocean is not a new discovery. Its the amount, and the type...couple that with hypoxia dead zones and an ignorant population, and you have a recipe for potential massive complications with the inclusion of eventual extinction over a period of time with the gradual degradation of the condition of our oceans.

We are keepers of the Earth and should we mistreat that which has nurtured all Gods creatures, eventually the bill comes.

Without pictures.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
wouldn't it be great if a company like google set up a prize of several million dollars to the team that could go and clean that patch up?

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am willing to listen and belive many things.

But a pile of garbage over 1/2 a million miles in size is not one of them that i will accept after reading a couple articles.

This shouldnt be so hard to find...

.... and look on the bright side, if this does exist, arent we always looking for MORE real estate... a new island 2x the size of texas in the middle of the pacific doesnt sound so bad...

Anyways... a huge mass of garbage floating around the ocean is one of those things that i need to see a picture of to belive.

PS, The Ausie pic was just too funny. Great.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Here is a series of images linked together that if you saw them one by one would be hard to understand.

But since they have been conveniently linked together and played at a high rate of speed, you can watch this movie thus giving you your garbage images. Enjoy

Yeah, these research Marine Biologists are a lying bunch arent they?

Peace

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
we will start believing when there is at the very least a clear picture and video from a credible source, youtube is not one of them..

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by betaiso

How about you post an institution or organization that you might feel is credible and a delivery system that you might believe.

Then well put out the word for a more credible source and see what comes up..

If the garbage doesnt exist, well then I hope you are right, for the sake of the planet and our oceans. The alternative appears at present to be the condition.

Peace

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
10,000,000 tons of plastic in the ocean. That makes me ill.

To those demanding pictures of said floating islands of trash? Give me a break. I am willing to believe experts who have gone out and studied this pollution for tens of years. I really doubt there is a solid mass twice the size of texas floating in the water or every passing boat and airplane in the pacific would not have missed it. This pollution is broken up and spread evenly throughout the water, correct? It is simply highly concentrated in these vast, thousands of square miles.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by NewWorldOver]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
This pollution is broken up and spread evenly throughout the water, correct? It is simply highly concentrated in these vast, thousands of square miles.

/Hug

Well Stated

[edit on 12-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I agree, case closed. Thanks to all who posted on this thread.

Happy holidays to you all

top topics

<< 1   >>

join