It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the birds?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I remember songbirds driving me nuts in the early morning hours. It seems they are no longer existent. Or, seriously lacking in number. Is it just me who has noticed this change?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I killed them all because they wake me up in the morning and I don't like to be woken up.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
It could be that the lot of them decided to fly south before the winter hits.

Not that winters have been extremely harsh in these parts lately...but still...I think thats probably why you are not hearing as many birds.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think they are just moving around as they see fit. I have the oppisate problem. the number of song birds in my area has increased. I work nights so they really annoy me and this its a dull roar.

That would lead me to believe that they just move around

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I am an amateur birdwatcher and here is what I have seen and read -There are several things that have detrimental effects on bird populations:

1. De-forestation
2. West Nile Virus
3. Chemicals (used on yards and shrubs, eaten by bugs, which are then eaten by birds, which then affects their fertility)

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I have been a avid bird watcher for decades, I'm a hunter and hunt doves, quail and other fine feathered friends.

Anyway A train station I use is a natural fly way and I have observed birds flocking both to the northeast and to the southwest, but during this season change from summer into fall, I haven't seen any groups larger than 3 or 4, usually they flock in the hundreds or thousands...We will give it more time, at this point they are a month late.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I have been a avid bird watcher for decades, I'm a hunter and hunt doves, quail and other fine feathered friends.

I think this is the answer!

Really!
People have had such a negative effect on the environment and exacerbate by ruthless animal slaughter/murder/hunting call it what you will.

And we call ourselves civilised!!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Like all of Nature there are cycles in high and low population's and maybe it's a "down" time for songbirds. It's been a dry year here in the southern NY area, and bird number's do seem down, I'm talking game birds here i e: Duck's, Pheasants, ect......... I'm also a hunter...Birds, Rabbit's, Deer, 'yotes, Fox, all have special place, lightly browned and served with a hearty Merlot...Hunters are NOT the cause of animals disappearing anywhere ever...Yard Chem's and Virus's are the main killers of critters... Put down the remote, back away from the screen, and take a walk in the wood's on a daily basis....Another Glorious Day to Excel...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Dood i live in brisbane australia and there are too many damn birds for my liking. Thye keep waking me up. Its driving me crazy. Especially these two stupid pigeons that sit RIGHT outside my window on the roof water drain pipe thingo. ARGGHH. I keep shooeing them away but they keep returing 10-15 mins later and woooe woooe stupid pigeons. I got one the other day with a zone mint that i threw at it. It ruffeled its feathers did a nasty look at me a flew away. But i was so tired but yet soo happy i got it... lol

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
In a Bugs Bunny sort of mood today.

Rabbit season
Duck Season
Rabbit Season
Duck Season

MMMMMMM.....DUCK!

our fine feathered friends make for fine eating.

Hi Kosmick, guess you can start yelling at me...its been a while. I think I need a good talking too, or send me a U2U. haha

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Woody or Malard Duck cooked medium rare with a cold smoked Grouse and fresh cheese.....Ya Trader, Orange Co. NY knows how to eat well from nature...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm coming to 'your' house for dinner. I'll bring the chablis.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My SO and I were just commenting on the lack of birds here in the Rocky's this morning.

Usually there are huge flocks of Ravens nesting in the Rio Grande valley in the bosque. This fall there are precious few and to my knowledge, Ravens don't migrate.

But on my river walks I don't see any bird carcasses so..........

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneshot1
Hunters are NOT the cause of animals disappearing anywhere ever...

This seems like a pretty insular comment...maybe you should check out these links:

www.enotes.com...

nationalhumanitiescenter.org...

tm2.co.nz...

www.taxidermy4cash.com...

and I'm sure I could track down a whole lot more.

[edit on 5-11-2007 by AotearoaSon]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
OK...here's what I think is going on

Drought=almost everywhere
Drought=less food
less food=less birds

Furthermore, it seems to me that squirrels look skinnier than they have been. Could this also be because of the drought?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by totalvigilance
OK...here's what I think is going on

Drought=almost everywhere
Drought=less food
less food=less birds

Furthermore, it seems to me that squirrels look skinnier than they have been. Could this also be because of the drought?

Plus Urban expansion, loss of habitat, human environmental degradation and chemical use, hunting, competition from exotic/introduced species etc etc...

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
We have a lot of birds here jpm1602.

Lot's of quail
Baby quail under my truck.

Bird of Prey

Doves, ravens, woodpeckers, hawks, falcons, hummingbirds ect... No lack of birds here!
Of course, I feed 'em!
Have to keep re-filling the hummer food, because of the winds.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AotearoaSon

Indeed, but the drought is the straw that broke the camel's back. Birds really were more plentiful in previous years, seems like, I guess without water and food your health goes and other environmental stressors can do you in.

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
AOTEAROASON: Market Shooter's, Poachers, and non-restricted Shooting of game is NOT Hunting. America reeps the rewards of high Game populations and the land they live on, by the grace of Sportsmen who have paid the taxes since 1912, and who have pushed for and gotten Game Laws in all the states. More Deer, Turkey and other critters are here then when the Indians roamed the wild, Because of Sportsmen.....HUNT ON...

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I know they eat *Quail under Glass* in Las Vegas.

But they ain't getting mine!

Quails and All birdies are my friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join