It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear plant guard videotapes coworkers sleeping on job

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Nuclear plant guard videotapes coworkers sleeping on job

search.cbsnews.com

Federal agents are investigating security concerns at the nation's nuclear power plants after video footage surfaced showing guards asleep on the job. Sharyl Attkisson has the exclusive report.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.abovepolitics.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Video here..
www.cbsnews.com...

Alarming to say the least. The entire security staff, armed with machine guns, snoozes away while this one guy films it.

search.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
This is just great. It takes 4 or 5 months to get the NRC or someone to do something. Let's not hassle the nuclear power business with this minor detail. No terrorists seen around the plant lately. (One must be awake to spot trouble or are they using that 'remote viewing' process)

Why am I not surprised that the only guy who should be employed when the security was revamped, the whistleblower, is told he doesn't meet the criteria for the job.

[edit on 11/3/2007 by roadgravel]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Absolutely shameless. The whistle blower should be given a medal.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I'm not sure of my source but i think i've got an exclusive pic of the guy for ya'll: :

Seriously this should not happen
Ok, no terrorists have been seen round the corner of the centrals facilities but that just can not happen.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
While this may not be right, I can't say that they are entirely at fault either, considering the hours they work. The guards we work with are pretty good about staying on their toes, but most of the time it's simply a boring job. That whistleblower is an idiot if he thinks he actually caught something all that spectacular.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
While this may not be right, I can't say that they are entirely at fault either, considering the hours they work.

May I suggest a different line of work or after work activities. Since when is sleeping at any job part of the duties. This wasn't one or two incidents, it had become a normal part of work.

The guy isn't claiming spectacular, he just wanted things to be safe. Looks as though the standards for American workers in the eyes of some people has slipped quite a bit.

I wonder if the Homer post might not be to far off either for the control room.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
2 things came to mind while watching this, were the guards on break while catching the cat nap and what are the guards shifts 8 or 12 hours.

The fact the whistle blower was fired is to be expected. I know it's not supposed to work that way, but this is real life and the guy was not a team player in his action. He should be glad he wasn't accidentally shot in the middle of the night, at the plant.

What these guys are doing, sleeping, is what many public sector employees do on breaks, regardless of the shift. Even the firemen don't always wax the truck.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think its time to replace these private security guards at nuclear plants and create some sort of Department of Energy level paramilitary security force to protect all nuclear power plants in the US. The DOE already handles the protection of nuclear material shipments via the Office of Secure Transportation so why not just have them do the whole thing?

Basically it would be something similar to the UK's Civil Nuclear Constabulary: en.wikipedia.org...

This would only affect civilian nuclear power plants and materials. Military nuke facilities and weapons and shipments would continue to be protected by the service police of the individual branches.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by ChrisF231]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Great to see that they have not done a damn thing to stop this happening since the last time then...

Heres another incident from a while back:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Is sleeping at nuke plants the new national sport or what?
Pretty scary really.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
That was also probably one of many units of guards at the site which were taking advantage of their breaktime to get some Z's and thus be more alert on the job. There's always guards at the front gate to greet you. Again, the whistleblower is probably some dupe trying to get his 15min of fame.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So the security was reorganized with terminations happening because guards were sleeping on breaks. Doesn't sound logical to me.

new topics

top topics

join