It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake in Central USA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I've been doing research on the New Madrid Fault Line and didn't know it could be so devastating. Heres what I came up with:

Source

THE GREAT NEW MADRID EARTHQUAKE OF 1811-1812 was actually a series of over 2000 shocks in five months, five of which were 8.0 or more in magnitude. Eighteen of these rang church bells on the Eastern seaboard. The very land itself was destroyed in the Missouri Bootheel, making it unfit even for farmers for many years. It was the largest burst of seismic energy east of the Rocky Mountains in the history of the United States and was several times larger than the San Francisco quake of 1906.

Sounds pretty devastating, especially considering that structures around these parts aren't built to withstand major earthquakes.

THE NEW MADRID FAULT SYSTEM EXTENDS 120 MILES SOUTHWARD from the area of Charleston, Missouri, and Cairo, Illinois, through New Madrid and Caruthersville, following Interstate 55 to Blytheville and on down to Marked Tree, Arkansas.

THE HIGHEST EARTHQUAKE RISK in the UNITED STATES outside the West Coast is along the New Madrid Fault. Damaging tremors are not as frequent as in California, but when they occur, the destruction covers over more than 20 times the area because of underlying geology.

A DAMAGING EARTHQUAKE in this AREA, 6.0 or greater, occur about every 80 years (the last one in 1895). The results would cause serious damage to schools and masonry buildings from Memphis to St Louis.

A MAJOR EARTHQUAKE in this AREA, 7.5 or greater, happens every 200- 300 years (the last one in 1812). There is a 25% chance by 2040. A New Madrid Fault rupture this size would be felt throughout half the United States and damage 20 states or more. Missouri alone could anticipate losses of at least $6 billion from such an event.

[edit on 11/3/2007 by Uniceft17]

[edit on 11/3/2007 by Uniceft17]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Sounds pretty devastating, especially considering that structures around these parts aint built to withstand major earthquakes.

I'm not sure where in those parts you live but on I 40 from Jackson to Memphis
all interstate overpasses have cables connecting them to keep the overpass from falling onto interstate below in case of earthquakes. Other than that I must say I don't know about the commercial and residential buildings in the area.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeavilyArmed

I'm not sure where in those parts you live but on I 40 from Jackson to Memphis
all interstate overpasses have cables connecting them to keep the overpass from falling onto interstate below in case of earthquakes. Other than that I must say I don't know about the commercial and residential buildings in the area.

I live in Northern Alabama, not too far from the Mississippi/Tennessee boarder, Ahh, I didn't know that, I don't think anyone around here has earthquake proof buildings, mainly buildings around here are built to withstand tornados, I guess we can only hope nothing happens.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I've read about that 1800 earthquake, the country was, obviously, totally unprepared for it, the site mentions every 200 to 300 years is overdue status -- making the first date for the next strike -- 2012.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I jumped on this thread because yesterday I felt a stong tremor that lasted about 4 seconds and then there was a residual slight shaking that lasted close to 15 seconds. In my backyard are some curious cracks in a couple of different places and my intuition tells me that it is connected to New Madras. I live in the center of Missouri. I ahve also had daydreams about the Great lakes spliting wide open and creating a large mass of water and debris from the northeast to the coastline just above Louisianna. The country will in essence become seperated into two chunks of land and much will disapear into the ocean.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Missouri has spent big bucks reinforcing bridges and I'm not sure about the overpasses in the eastern side of the state, not sure about the whole state. the problems are from brick and unreinforced concrete structures, in the St Louis area, they will collapse easily.

The national guard in the state has bought 5 circus tents just to set up around St Louis if and when this goes down. They expect 500,000 will be homeless. Lord know how many would die or be injured, but I bet it will be ugly. I do wonder if all the lock and damns running down the Mississippi will survive???

If it does happen and I'm at home, I will most likely die or be trapped. I live in on of those 50 or 60 year old brick unreinforced buildings, oh joy.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Not meaning to bring my thread completely off topic, but Antar have you ever heard of Edgar Cayce, he was a well i don't know exactly what to call him, but he was born in 1901 and told everyone that precisely that was going to happen, that the great lakes would flow into the Gulf, you should look him up sometime.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Check this out (also posted here). See how the 1811/1812 quakes were felt.

"Isoseismal map for the Arkansas earthquake of December 16,1811, 08:15 UTC (first of the 1811-1812 New Madrid series)."

Source: USGS

New York felt it more than New Orleans...

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Check this out (also posted here). See how the 1811/1812 quakes were felt.

"Isoseismal map for the Arkansas earthquake of December 16,1811, 08:15 UTC (first of the 1811-1812 New Madrid series)."

Source: USGS

New York felt it more than New Orleans...

Thant is pretty scary, I live in the 7.0 zone in North Alabama. Nothing around here could withstand that.

top topics

join