It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. - No Space Militarization -- Defeat to U.S. & Israel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Russia, U.S. Clash on Space Militarization

www.plenglish.com

Russia scored its second consecutive victory with the Resolution Preventing Arms Race in Outer Space by 170 votes over US opposition and Israel abstention.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow win condemns US plans to militarize outer space and preserving the space free from arms buildup.

Along with China, Russia also submitted to the 62nd General Assembly a draft resolution to create conditions to develop space research under UN supervision.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-11-2007 by anhinga]

[edit on 3-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Amazing! Shocked that the U.S. Quagmire is getting it handed to them on issue after issue.

The initiative thwarts US President George W. Bush recent doctrine on National Outer Space Policy and absolute US prerogative that denies other countries' free right to use outer space while insisting on developing weapons to be used there.

www.plenglish.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Sounds like the UN really don't want these space weapons-trouble is the UN don't have their own space ships so how on earth can they check up on what the USA are doing up there?
I bet there are already tons of space based secret weapons,governments have been talking about them since the 50s.I think they are up there by now,some from other countries as well as the US.

Good post

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I know Silcone Synapse, someone or thing HAS to be monitoring what's happening up there, maybe the ISS? Could be as simple as that, let alone the fact that the U.S./Israel have been WANTING space-based weapons for a long time, and have (stupidity) published articles about it, that's probably what got them clipped.

It's amazing in the postmodern age that people still research/think about what to weaponize. I mean, they have people w/ jobs for this! I know, many others will cry 'defense' and at that point I happily think of Michael Douglas in Falling Down:

"Just admit there's nothing wrong with the street.... I don't want breakfast, I want lunch.... you missed me...." Any favorite lines out there?!

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Just wait till the "america has every right to do what it pleases with space" crowd move in, this should be fun...not...

Why can't every nation on the planet accept space should be open and free for any nation who wishes to explore it...Near or far ?

Without trying to use it to one nation's advantage on Earth....

I just don't understand this kind of posturing in the UN....What exactly is it supposed to achieve ?

In any event, the US and Israel will likely ignore any UN resolution on this issue, as they've both done so more than any other nations in the history of the UN...

Sad

Great op, BTW as always

EDIT -- for afterthought

[edit on 3-11-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Keep in mind Rilence, that China, Russia and France didn't agree w/ ol Res 1441 (authorizing war in Iraq), had veto power.

Washington needs support from at least nine of the 15 council members to win approval for a resolution, providing France, Russia or China do not cast a veto

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

I wouldn't think for a minute that they're not going to ignore the ruling and continue on doing whatever we feel like. Our building of such programs is probably faster than U.N. litigation.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Like I posted elsewhere, you're right, the aggressor has the vote advantage in the U.N. -- but the U.S. ain't making friends quickly, so this could pass considering a lot of the neo-cons are on the watchdog outs, Libby, Wolfie and Rummy, so I think this could be defeated before it gets worse.

There already are weapons in space -- HAARP.

Otherwise, the space program is garbage. Retiring the shuttle in 2 more years?! And others are telling us that nanotech is way AHEAD of its time?!? We should have the freaking space elevator by now, along w/ worldwide Mavlev trains, not just in China, Russia and Japan.

Iran even has Mavlev train plans, 200+ mph, those could save the U.S. economy Instead, we got traitor Pelosi who "doesn't support impeachment."

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
At the end of the day, anyone who supports the militarization of space is simply sick, and lacks humanity IMO...

Don't we already have a zillion ways to kill each other without adding some more ?

Shouldn't space and the near earth environment be a haven for the ISS and its predecessors to do useful things that can perhaps benefit most of us ?

I think the most damning thing to come out of this is the US' lapdog, Israel abstaining from said vote...I mean, you're kidding, right ???!!!

Israel will not ever contribute to the exploration of space in my lifetime in a meaningful way, yet thru its spineless abstaining of the vote on this matter, it gives the US an ally in potentially militarizing of space, where most other nations on the planet support the peaceful use of the space close to Earth and beyond...

It just goes to show how several billion dollars of hand outs per year over 50 years can buy the US whatever it wants...

Shameful....

EDIT -- for clarity

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I find this funny that the UN is claiming space as an area it can control. How can any Earth bound organization have any say in what happens outside this planet's atmosphere? Are they going after the Moon next? Maybe set up shop on Mars as well? What happens when any group is able to live outside of Earth's atmosphere without any help from Earth? Will the UN try and tell them what to do?

Saying you can't do this or you can't do that in space won't stop anyone from doing it since the UN has no way to enforce any space laws it approves. If they can't enforce things on the ground how are they going to do it in space?

This vote comes from the fear of losing control. The UN will not be able to govern space and whatever they adopt will be laughed at when things start ramping up outside of Earth's atmosphere. I hope that a new organization gets setup for space since the UN is not a good model to use.

As far as weapons in space go, they are already there. Does a spy satellite not count as a weapon? Just because it lacks the ability to shoot a missile or rocket doesn't make it any less dangerous. I guess the UN thinks otherwise. Maybe they forgot that kinetic and non-kinetic weapons cause the same end result. This vote won't change a thing.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well, I guess Russia "won" a moral victory... People should really do more research before posting. Allow me, "Although General Assembly resolutions are non-binding towards member states, internal resolutions may be binding on the operation of the General Assembly itself, for example with regard to budgetary and procedural matters..."

Even if the issue heads to the Security Council where the US is a permanent member and therefore wields a veto power for any resolution, it is a dead topic.
There is no need to ignore anything as in this case general assembly resolution are recommendations and not laws...

[edit on 3-11-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

In that case...The US is going to (further) militarize space to what ends ? why ?

To do so is completely pointless...To do so would bang a couple more nails in the coffin and push us ever so closer to armageddon...

As I've said previously, there is no way anyone in their right mind could support the (further) militarization of space if they had even a single shred of humanity in their body...

The only way they would support same would be if the honestly believed in their country's superiority over all others, even to the point of the destruction of all nations...

EDIT -- Spelling

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

Hmm… yes we will militarize space as whoever controls the high ground controls the battlefield, space is the ultimate high ground, control space and you effectively control the world, especially in this day and age. From an area to station weapons that can strike any point on earth on short notice without much vulnerability, to destroying other countries space assets, and therefore limiting their capabilities. Ensuring our space assets remain safe and secure, to ensuring we always have freedom of travel into and from space. Ensuring we can deny a county the ability to even get into space, to ensuring we have dominance in the new resource and national space race. I sincerely thank China for waking the US to the emerging Space War and the emerging Cyber War, but the latter is a different topic all together.

I'm not interested in moral preaching so save your breath…

[edit on 3-11-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Space weapons are a bad idea-when one country gets them,many others will try to do the same.
If there is a battle,even a very small battle above our atmosphere it would be catastrophic for the future of space exploration,for the globe would become surrounded with billions of tiny pieces of battle debris making it darned near impossible for future spacecraft to get into space safely.Goodbye earth based astronomy as well.It would be a nightmare.
A bit like a nuclear war in the way that there would be no winners in a space war.
But like I said before,Ido think at least a couple of countries have already got offensive weapons in space.I remember reading somewhere about the russians possibly having a machine gun turret on one old spacecraft,can't really remember where,or how reliable a source.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

Bravo for militarizing space to suit the US' ends....Unfortunately, space, or even global conflicts won't help the US in the near future...

If you reckon the US militarizing space is a good thing, then go buy long term futures in stocks, bonds, commodities....Whatever you like....

They won't make you money, because despite what you think, the worlds economy DOES NOT revolve around the US...

The main drivers around the worlds economy the last couple years have and will be resource rich countries (which the US is not one of) and resource poor countries who are prepared to pay whatever it takes to secure raw resources (again, not the US) in order to continue their explosive growth in GDP...

The US already sold its manufacturing industries up the river thru the 80's and 90's, that won't change at least for a generation or so...

So militarization of space helps the US how, in the medium-long term...??

Given your history of posts from the "yes sir master sir" side of things, I'd be interested in your take of this from a REALISTIC view of the world outside of wearing your uniform, real or imagined...

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Right on, SS

At last some sanity

Militarizing space is bad ju jus for some many reasons it aint funny...

It only advantages those who gain an initial upper hand...Once the others catch up ( assuming the US isn't stupid enough to launch a unilateral attack), its a stalemate again, just like the cold war...

The thing is...

If the US did so and called everyone's bluff, everyone else would feel sufficiently threatened to attack the US....That includes former allies like the UK, France and Germany, not to mention Russia and China...

Anyone who advocates US militarization of space is banking on the destruction of most of the human race...

Thing is, you wont be in the bookmakers queue long enough to collect...

Think about it...

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If we're not maintaining weapons in space or preparing to put them up there, I want NASA disbanded and its funding given to private firms for all our space research and exploration. It's unacceptable to wait until others already put them there before we do. Because others will, as soon as they are technologically capable. The UN only has relevance to the countries that actually benefit from its existence, anyway.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rilence

Bravo for militarizing space to suit the US' ends....Unfortunately, space, or even global conflicts won't help the US in the near future...

If it was not the US militarizing space, it would be somone else. Russia cannot keep up with the US war machine, and there for russia goes and crys to the UN about 'weapons in space, omg!'

If you reckon the US militarizing space is a good thing, then go buy long term futures in stocks, bonds, commodities....Whatever you like....

It could be used to thwart would be enemys. This would benefit your nation as it is under the US military umbrella.

They won't make you money, because despite what you think, the worlds economy DOES NOT revolve around the US...

Partly true, however one cannot deny the undeniable fact that the US is the worlds largest consumer. Meaning if it wasnt for americans buying everything...there would be no market to buy all the items that would begin to flood the market. The global economy today is sustained by a 'supply and demand'. Without the US the global economy isnt growing at 5.1% a year now is it.

The main drivers around the worlds economy the last couple years have and will be resource rich countries (which the US is not one of) and resource poor countries who are prepared to pay whatever it takes to secure raw resources (again, not the US) in order to continue their explosive growth in GDP...

Again, what would happen to these resource rich nations if their was no one there to buy it? So, without someone to consume said resources, the economic growth comes to a complete halt. So, I would say that it is the consumer who helps sustain such growth, and who is the worlds largest consumer? higher demand = more $$$. which then = more economic growth.

Also, natural resources will not be their forever. What happens when they dry up? The US is already ahead of the game in these regards.

The US already sold its manufacturing industries up the river thru the 80's and 90's, that won't change at least for a generation or so...

Not true at all. the US is manufacturing more than it ever has currently. What many people forget, is that the US relies on robots to do much of its manufacturing work to date. Not some kid making 30 cents a day in china (china who is not a resource rich nation BTW, so according to your logic, there must not be a future for china as well)

So militarization of space helps the US how, in the medium-long term...??

The future is unkown, technological developments are open ended in other words. It is that, and the unknown that keeps the US pushing further and further ahead. China and russia are threats that the US must not overlook. Any and every advantage the US can get over said enemys, is well worth it.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by West Coast]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Why should the U.S. listen to the U.N regarding space weapons.?
Of course the U.S. should further its space based weapons. The only reason the other countries are against it is because they currently don't have the technology and they don't want to fall to far behind the U.S. in space weapon technology.

Besides, with countries like China shooting down satellites, we have to remain the leader in space weapon technology.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Frankly if the nations of this earth cannot settle their differences here than they do not deserve to be in outer space.

We cannot evolve in factions with conflicting agendas once beyond earths atmosphere we are one people earth people and should be proud to be so.

Imagine our petty differences being amplified throughout the solar system we have to grow up there will be space enough for all and resources beyond imagination.

Space should bring peace not war when are we going to learn.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join