It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staying in a tent for about a month....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ice_Man

One thing you might consider is doing some outdoor chores for your Aunt so she will feel you are contributing. Cut the grass, clear brush, wash the car. Then if you have to ask to stay again, she will be more than happy. Plus it will keep you occupied and make you feel good.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The ants on the Gulf Coast can be killer out in the woods, so you might want to get an air tight ice chest for your food and snacks, etc. I personally love to camp out and look at the stars. Maybe you'll see some cool things in the sky, like UFO's and meteors, etc!

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
You might want to check out the Leonid Meteor Shower, on November 17 and 18!

stardate.org...

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Ok iceman...ur tent is ok EXCEPT for RAIN...so get a cheap poly tarp to go over it big enough to reach the ground so u can weight it down with something heavy all around...nothing worse than getting wet & cold in survival situation...u can remove it in non rain times to stop condensation inside if ur warm enough.... ur shelter is the most important thing in survival followed by water...if u can't afford a Wiggy's Bag then make sure ur sleeping stuff is warm & that u are very COMFORTABLE...someone said 'Layers' (not the chicken kind
....the other thing u will notice first is that u will become more AWARE...because u will hear everything...sound travels really well through tents thin skins....the very best tent to live in is a Tee Pee....(not a tent a Lodge) ....u can use cheap poly tarps & any poles if need be....u will become an OUTDOORS person & spend most of ur time OUTSIDE ur tent...another shelter using poly tarps or plastic will be a bonus...having electricity will certainly make a HUGE difference & alot easier on u....just be careful of leads in rain (keep them out of water puddles if possible)....otherwise turn the power off while leads laying in water....the fire spoke of is a REFLECTOR type...heat gets stored in rocks & also reflected back towards u...u can live in a Tee Pee but u usually just sleep in a tent...u'll be outdoors most of the time....ENJOY.....GB

[edit on 4-11-2007 by dave7]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
an excellent opportunity to get back to the basics

try not to use the extension cord too much
make your own fires using primitive techniques
sleep under the stars ( depending where you are )
take a walk in the woods at night

think primitive . . .

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a couple of ideas

If you have anything wool - don't pack it up - wool is fantastic - it can get damp and still keep you pretty warm - plus it is a bit water repellent naturally (note I didn't say waterproof) - if you know any knitters befriend them see if they will knit some wool socks or a vest or even a blanket (doesn't have to be fancy - garter stitch and bulky wool which would go fast) for you - most knitters love the process of knitting and socks take a couple of days so not a huge project - a wool vest and hats and maybe even fingerless gloves (all pretty quick to make too) can make a huge difference in keeping your core warm. I'm a knitter and am learning to spin wool now too - so I know how long it takes to do things (and I am not the quickest knitter out their either)

make use of your local library for books to read and also for Internet connection...

Also if you know any campers maybe you can borrow a couple of things - if anyone has a lantern you can get light and you would be surprised at how much heat they can give off (every little bit helps) and maybe someone would have a porta-potty you can borrow - that way you can use it and dump it once a day in a location away from your camp where you have done the hole thing.

Also if you don't have a car or something that you can keep a supply of dry clothes in be sure to get some big storage bags to put clothes in -- the last thing you want is to have your clothes get damp or wet. Also if you do borrow library books you can put them in a bag also so they stay in good condition.

And like someone else said - if you can do some chores for your Aunt to show that you appreciate her letting you stay on the land - It is a help because if you were looking for somewhere else to camp you can be chased off for trespassing etc. And she will look on you in a good light too and may be more open to you maybe using her shower every couple of days or something - hey every little bit helps ....

Also keep up the good outlook - that goes a LONG way - and remember no matter what - you will still have things better than the pioneers who didn't have a lot of the modern things we all have mentioned here-

edited to add - don't overuse the offer of the electricity you don't want your Aunts electric bill to go sky high -

[edit on 4-11-2007 by justme1640]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I don't think I could ever let someone live outside,especially a relative,I was raised differently I guess,home is for sharing with family,besides I've never camped in a tent before

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wow, this is a pretty interesting opportunity for you I will say. I know it can be hard, but you will experience something that many people in today's society never will (preparedly, anyway)

Is there a stream or pond on her land?

Some thoughts:

-Put your tent on the generally high ground. Keep the wind (rain) and the sun in mind for how you face it and how you sleep.

-Bring some powerbars along for situations you need energy, not just for food.

-Bring a small mirror with you that won't break easily, helps you check for tics, also a good signalling device, generally useful anyways.

- Check for tics every day. Check your tent for spiders/scorpions/whatever before you go to sleep.

-Obviously bring a good knife or three.

-Bring a few boxes of healthy cereals, like Cheerios or Total and eat breakfast.

-You do not need to worry about calories out there, but nutrients.

- Bring a compass (or know how to use the sun/stars) and pencil and paper, draw a simple map that makes sense to you.

I'm no expert but those are my thoughts and advice. Oh and use this as an opportunity, look at it that way. You may learn a lot out there if you are lucky! Good luck!

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Having been homeless myself some time ago, I wish all the best to ya IceMan

Are you able to look at other kinds of shelter besides a tent? You mention that you have 20acres of land to play with with plenty of woodland, perhaps you could have a go at building an alternative structure such as a bronze-age roundhouse in case it really gets too cold under canvas

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
not sure who u gunna signal with that mirror
...but good for checking hair/face so u don't look too wild
.....Native Amercian friend of mine said this= [Tell him 2 build a TALLER Sweat Typ lodge, 15 ft dia., Hole in top for smoke hole. ].....better check with Aunty first before u go cutting up her trees....check out this wonderful low impact Hobbit House in Wales built by guy with no experience using forest woods... www.simondale.net... ......GB

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
A hobo stove can be built by cutting a 2" hole in the bottom of a metal paint can. It conserves wood and produces a point source flame for cooking and boiling water. The same size and shape can be built out of about 30 bricks and produces a hotter flame.

It is pecan season on the gulf coast. I have over 100 pounds stashed away in pails. There are still another 2 weeks of prime picking. I just wander downtown from vacant lot to vacant lot. Plant a row of pecans on your aunts land even if you have to do it in the middle of the woods. When you children are in the same predicament in the future... there might be food.

Keep two 5 gallon buckets for bathing. Use a wash cloth and soap with one bucket to lather. Use the second bucket and the same cloth to rinse off the soap. Aunty should be willing to fill a bucket for ya.

RICE AND BEANS is cheap healthy living that dry stores easily and cooks up in 30 minutes on a wood fire.

Just important as a knife, is a carpenters hatchet for fueling small fires and driving nails. Also up there is a pair of pliers, small shovel or trowel, and a watch if you land a job.

Sleep off the ground; two cinder blocks and a 2x12 keeps the bugs off.

Have a positive influence on her land. Plant winter crops. Rake leaves away from her house, etc.

Dress in layers. Nobody is going to freeze on the gulf coast with 3 layers on.

You need vitamin B12. Without it you will loose your mind. Unless you are very resourceful, B12 only comes from animals, milk, cheese, and eggs. At least once a week make sure you get something of that sort. You may be able to store hard cheeses under 12" of earth this time of year in a sealed container for a short period. Other than that, you're gonna have to buy as you go.

I renovate condemned buildings. I have spent the last 5 years in buildings that no one else would touch. No heat, no A/C, only running water a hose spigot, only power a temporary pole and extension cord. I cook behind the building I am currently working on with a hobo stove and bath with 5 gallon buckets inside. Realize you're not alone. Many men before you have roughed it.

Having a woman with you helps. It creates a polarity of who tends to what is inside vs who tends to what is outside. Who tends to camp vs who tends to the rest of civilization. Who tends to meal preperation vs who tends the fire, etc.

Having a dog... it may be an extra mouth but it is a valuable warning, companionship, etc. And he'll keep those rascally squirrels out of your pecan trees.

Having a cat... keeps mice and other critters that are cat size out of camp... AND having a cat is a free heating device while sleeping.

The recommendation about a 3 sided firebox to radiate heat towards you definately holds. Try stacking rubble concrete if available... I know the gulf coast is short on rock.

I spend every april in the missouri ozarks for 30 days. We stay in a geodesic dome tent about 20' diameter that we built out of old chain link fence pipes. I covered it in canvas and.... though I hate to admit... blue tarp when it rained.

A cheap pair of rubber boots will save your feet if you are experiencing wet weather.

I'd stay out of aunty's hair for the most part... but about once a week be nice to aunty and watch that you don't get to sit in on sunday dinner.

Place a cheap ad in the shopper, craigslist, or thrifty nickle. Carpenter for hire. Painter for hire. Whatever you do best and a phone number where someone can leave a message; perhaps with a friend. Seek small contract jobs with $500-1000 value once or twice a month.

Water tight storage is really important when you are in the woods. Try galvanized trash cans and rubber bungees to hold the lid down. A hermetic jar (glass jar, wire bail, rubber ring, glass lid) can keep rice dry on its own without additional shelter in almost any conditions. That said... so can a salvaged plastic 2l soda bottle with a screw off lid.

You can have 250 business cards professionally printed and delivered to you for only a $5 shipping charge off the net. Try vistaprint.

Don't forget the "travel" basics... toothbrush, soap, tp, fork, spoon, etc.

If you want to go without the tp... a wad of grass does the trick.

See to it you have breakfast figured out before you go to sleep.

An oil lantern is good for reading and would get you off your aunts extension cord... It might be appreciated. 1.99 @ big lots. While you're there a cheap hand saw helps with the fire wood.

If you have a tic or spider issue... Rake an 8' path in a ring about 30' in diameter. NOT ON A WINDY OR SUPER DRY DAY. Burn out everything inside the ring. Set camp there.

Just because you're living in the woods is no reason not to call your grandmother.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You seem to be getting a lot of good advice here Ice Man. I'd like to throw in a couple of safety concerns. A couple of years ago some race fans (I believe it was at Talladega in Alabama) were tent camping waiting on the races and died trying to heat their tent with a lantern. Carbon monoxide is a killer. Not to be taken lightly.

My other concern is that you'll be pulling an extension cord to be used out of doors in varying conditions. Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection is a must. If you can't see to having that you should forget about having electricity under those conditions. You can learn more about it at www.naturalhandyman.com... If you use an existing outside plug in a newer home it is probably protected but check to make sure. Electrical circuits in houses are parallel connected with up to 10 hot outlets per circuit. You'll want to backtrack from the plug that you intend to use back toward the breaker box. You should find a plug with 2 buttons on it marked "test" and "reset". That will probably be the plug that protects the circuit. Check to make sure.

Sometimes you'll find the GFCI to be a breaker in the panel rather than a plug but not very often as they do the same job and cost about 3 times as much. If that's the case though, they're easily spotted. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave7
check out this wonderful low impact Hobbit House in Wales built by guy with no experience using forest woods... www.simondale.net...

Great site, I like what that guy and his family built

I chuckled when I read this part

30 or so small trees and a bit of chainsawing later. Lift logs, prop up, nail together and continue until no longer wobbly.

I wonder if the nanny state in the US would stop someone from building a house like that here? or would bring in the CPS?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SemperParatus
You seem to be getting a lot of good advice here Ice Man. I'd like to throw in a couple of safety concerns. A couple of years ago some race fans (I believe it was at Talladega in Alabama) were tent camping waiting on the races and died trying to heat their tent with a lantern. Carbon monoxide is a killer. Not to be taken lightly.

excellent point - I'm glad you made it - I wasn't meaning to actually heat the tent with the lantern - I was talking about it being a side benefit of the time he might be reading .. And I'm afraid that all the tents I have use have been old and not tight enough to worry about fumes really staying inside - don't know about the new and improved ones

And as you may have guessed by my post I am much more of a put on another layer person - and I sit with a lap robe that I made along with my hand made socks and fingerless gloves - I hate turning on the heat and life got in the way this summer and we still have to split some wood - we have a nice pile in the yard waiting to be split - it may not be as aged as we would like (it also isn't newly cut wood) but it will work for the winter - just will mean cleaning the chimney a few more times.

We didn't have the money to replace the furnace and hot water heater for a winter 2 yrs ago and we used the wood stove for everything - heating water to clean with - and clean dishes with etc. - the main thing I missed was the shower - oh how I love my shower. It took a bit of work to be sure the pipes didn't freeze because it was a -O F winter but it was also kind of freeing mentally.

Another thing I thought of for the Original Poster - keep a journal of your experience - you may find it interesting later on and you may be amazed at how strong you really are and also realize that overall it could be an experience you enjoyed (despite some not so enjoyable times that are sure to happen
) And if you enjoy writing you could make a series of articles for a local paper for some extra cash or when it is over with maybe you could write it up and sell it to a magazine or something too.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Another question - how far would I want to set my fire area from the tent? I couldn't find this information on google, maybe I wasn't searching with the right syntax or key words. Again, thanks everyone for the information.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Distance depends on the size of the fire, good rule is that a distance where you can sit for indefinate time is good... so just try it out.

Ps. make sure that the firewood you use doesnt spit out flaming bits.. don't know whát trees there are in your region (nor how they behave in fire) so just observe before leaving a fire on for the night. (or ask locals)

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
this has turned into a good info thread

flagged

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i wouldn't have my tent any closer than 3 yds for small fire...with Tee Pee or large sweat lodge type dome u have ur fire inside...i bought an old bit of green canvas for $5 at a secondhand yard yest....something like that or corrugated iron sheets could also be used to 'reflect' fire heat onto ur back & protect tent from sparks...basically an outside 'kitchen' can just be 4 poles & a roof (tin or whatever)...old aluminium sheets even better because so light & easy to work (punch holes through with nail & wire or tie into place)...ur imagination & resoursefulness will be ur only limiting factor....u can get those polystyrene boxes for free from supermarkets...use for storage & also break sides off to create 'FLAT' bits which are wonderful 'INSULATERS'...to sit & sleep on under ur bedding...cardboard boxes (especially those large fridge type) are also very useful to sit or sleep on, plus for fire lighting....u can live off what others throw away...including food...(back doors of food places)...supermarkets.....WHEELIE BINS
...those large metal ones at building sites are wonderful treasure places....carpet, timber etc, God knows what ur find in them....ur prob. alot safer on ur aunts land than under a bridge or in a squat (empty building)...so i'd prob. be asking if i could make a 'CUBBYHOUSE' down the back somewhere...ur tent UNDER a tin roof would work really well...especially if u filled in THREE sides & had ur fire out the front...(BUS STOP TYPE SHELTER) u'd have fire heat reflected back into tent & wouldn't have to worry about poly tarp to keep rain off tent.....i did this once using an old trailer canvas annex...it took the weather & tents where dry inside......& face SOUTH for solar winter warming SUN......GB

[edit on 5-11-2007 by dave7]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Where parcel size is 20 acres; out in the country, straw bails are a dime a dozen. It may be advisable to build a curved wall of straw bails around the north side of your tent... maybe 5 feet tall. excellent wind break and thermal mass for cheap. Doing so may inspire you to get a small parcel yourself and live in a straw hut

If there is a downed tree of considerable size on her land... consider carving yourself out an area amongst the branches to plop your tent; thats what the deer would do; thermal mass.

Every day... get up early. Get dressed. Wash your face. Brush your teeth. LEAVE CAMP. Walk the street, meet people and neighbors, network, find things to do... even if they do not pay. Productivity is the antidote to depression.

You mentioned you are a reader... stop by the library and pick up some books on self improvement; nobody is above such. Steven Covey's "7 Habits" for example.

Hot rocks. When it is wicked cold out... and I have to do something outside... I keep palm sized hot river rocks in my pocket. Set them in your fire's coals, (I use my wood stove) let them get really hot... wrap them in cloth and then stick 'em in your pockets. 30 minutes of heat to go; it'll keep you warm until you get to doing something productive.

Every hotel room has a bible in it. If you respect the book, your tent should too. Keeping a bible clean and dry in "the woods" can be a humbling spiritual experience in itself.

Flag your poo hole. You will have visitors and they may come to visit when you're not around... Its one thing to step in dog poo; a whole other animal to be knee deep in someone else's pit... A road cone works well.

A roll of hemp string from the craft store can be really helpful for keeping food off the ground, tying down your tarp, etc.

Hang a pair of pants in your tent, preferably cargo pants. The pockets will become your "night stand" where you can dump your keys, wallet, watch, etc. each evening.

Be sure you drink your 8 - 8oz glasses of water a day. You're around a fire; which is new... you're doing a lot more walking, which is new... Stay hydrated if you want to stay productive.

You are going to have a new time schedule. Dawn to Dusk becomes a very real thing when you are away from city lights. Don't fight it... go with it; and bring it back to the city with you when you return; the early bird catches the worm.

Leave no trace. If you pack it into your aunts land, pack it back out when you leave.

Establish a personal monthly budget. What do you expect to spend when you return to "the city"? What do you have outstanding that you need to fix? What is your action plan to "fix" it? How much can you reasonably expect to earn monthly? What will you spend on food? What will you spend on housing? What else will you spend? Be detailed with your budget. You are in the woods, without a roof, largely because your previous budget, or lack thereof, failed.

I don't know you, and I don't want to pass judgement... but consider your personal "recreational" habits... We all have them. Consider their MONTHY cost in dollars. Perhaps this is the time to give up your daily "expresso".

Sri Oracle

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
I’m sorry if this is out of place. But, I don’t know what is wrong with people any more. The world I live in-- is COLD AS ICE!!!! I mean she’s your Aunt. A relative why can’t she take you in. People use to take strangers in for the night.

I was wondering the same exact thing. Oh well, at least he gets to use the land to set up a tent.

Don't really have anything else to add that others haven't, but I'd recommend you get some books so that you aren't bored stiff when there's nothing to do.

Good luck with the camping as a necessity thing, I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join