It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nov. 11 cyber jihad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Security experts are saying that a reported al-Qaeda cyber jihad attack planned against Western institutions should be treated with skepticism.

The attack was reported by DEBKAfile, an online military intelligence magazine. Citing anonymous "counter-terror sources," DEBKAfile said it had intercepted an Oct. 29 "Internet announcement," calling for a volunteer-run online attack against 15 targeted sites, set to begin Nov. 11. The operation is supposed to expand after its launch date until "hundreds of thousands of Islamist hackers are in action against untold numbers of anti-Muslim sites," the magazine reported.

Such an attack could be launched with a known software kit, called Electronic Jihad Version 2.0, said Paul Henry, vice president of technology evangelism with Secure Computing. This software, which has been in circulation for about three years, has recently become more easily configurable so that it could be more effective in a distributed denial of service attack, such as the one suggested by the DEBKAfile report.

Attackers would download Jihad 2.0 to their own desktops and specify the amount of bandwidth they would like to consume, not unlike the SETI@home software package used to scan for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence.

src www.infoworld.com...

Debkafile is a poor source of information however the story still stands. E-commerce attacks would prove disruptive as we've seen from past incidents but the problem here is that Nov 11 is a Sunday. Not a whole lot of business going on that day.

brill

[edit on 1-11-2007 by brill]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I thought we were all gonna die on the 12th of October.

I guess it was just Yankee fans.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I've been wondering who would post this.
Pretty daring of you considering Debka is the sole source.

However...

With a little research you might find out where that threat was intercepted, and what (some of) the content was. Although Debka broke silence first, others were aware of this specific threat since Oct. 1st when it was first posted.

The software that the quoted article glossed over does exist, has been used, and has been reported about by sources.

As for the attack. Phhht. Its good to be aware, but my teenage son could do better job of it than this concerted dos attack via proxies this software does. This threat IMO, is not gonna be very notable in the short run.

Forgot to add that Wired also ran story about it.

[edit on 11/1/07 by makeitso]

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
From the inside, behind the curtains:

Although this thread didn't get much attention, its appropriate to update it.

Would you believe that Debka was right for once?

Having a habit of digging into things that should not be looked into, I'd found a post that provided a link for the primary source to download the E-Jihad software for this Nov. 11 attack. It had already been updated from V.2 to V.3 by that time.

Then yesterday a little known blog publicly outted the site. It didn't take the "citizen anti-jahid" crowd more than an hour completely destroy the download site.

By that time, I'd already passed the software, screenshots, etc. to a friend, who analyzed it, and turned it over to the Anti-virus mfg's.

In short, the proposed attack has been canceled.

Involuntarily.

new topics

top topics

join