It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invisible tanks by 2012. odd year choice, but anyways. whoa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
www.news.com.au...

www.foxnews.com...

NEW technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by Britain's Ministry of Defence.

In secret trials last week, the army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012.

The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

The result is that anyone looking in the direction of the vehicle only sees what is beyond it and not the tank itself.

A soldier who was at the trials said, "This technology is incredible.

"If I hadn't been present I wouldn't have believed it.

"I looked across the fields and just saw grass and trees - but in reality I was staring down the barrel of a tank gun."

How the technology works in combat is very sensitive, but the Defence Ministry is believed to be also testing a military jacket that works on the same principles.

It is the type of innovation normally associated with James Bond.

The brains behind the technology, Prof Sir John Pendry, said the next step was to make a tank invisible without the cameras and projectors.

The Daily Mail, in The Herald Sun

[edit on 1-11-2007 by jimmy1200]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure I saw a demonstration of this awhile ago on TV. It was with an APC, and they were creeping up a field toward a house, trying not to be spotted.

There were problems with the durability of the cameras/projectors, and going too fast upset it. Very cool, but as of now, impractical.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The cameras and projectors may be damaged by a cannonball or a bullet, then the tank will be no longer invisible. Such delicate devices perhaps practise flimsy on battlefield.

The invisible tank technology seems to be not practical at present but it illustrates a good prospect of application and extension.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
New generation 'deep blue' supercomputers. Not just for defeating chess masters anymore.

top topics

join