It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Turks no longer love the U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Why Turks no longer love the U.S.

news.yahoo.com

Istanbul, Turkey - The US has hailed Turkey as moderate Islamic democracy, the kind it would like to see develop elsewhere. It's a key NATO ally, with US aircraft stationed here.
Yet, as Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice arrives in Ankara Friday to defuse tensions over Kurdish rebels operating in Iraq, she faces a nation that is now the most anti-American in the world, according to one survey.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The Turkish people see us a enemies now. Its part of their pop culture and entertainment media. To them we are now the Russians. Their people believe we are on a collision course. What does that mean for NATO, the EU, the Kurds, and Iraq. Does Iran have a new friend? What a mess. I am really not looking forward to $150 a barrel oil next year.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The situation with the Kurds is essentially the big deciding factor of what happens next.

Will the U.S. help or step aside? Will Turkey go into Northern Iraq with Iran? Will the Congress pass the Armenian Genocide bill? Will Turkey take advantage of a war in Northern Iraq to go into Cyprus?

What happens in the next few months could be crucial to determine where Turkey is headed.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

They hated us when I was stationed at Incirlik between '76-78. That was during the American Arms Embargo, as a fallout after the Greek-Cypriot War. Do you know what it feels like to be in another man's country, defending it & him, & literally have stones & bottles thrown at you? Those were my younger days. I couldn't leave Turkey until I gave a customs official a bottle of whiskey, because of some stupid glitch on my claims form. It was during the Carter admin but a direct result of Ford. Oh well, nice place to visit, Crusader Castles, Roman & Greek ruins.

Don't get me started on their great leader Ataturk, who was partly responsible for the Genocide of the Armenians. That was a lot of human beings that paid the ultimate price for giving up their guns & then their lands, just to end up with out a grave. The Bataan Death March, only on a MEGA scale.

Don't get me wrong, I served, and help defend a hell of a lot of people of multi-religious & ethnic backgrounds during 2 wars myself. 29 countries, 5 continents.... I sure as hell would not want to be an American in Turkey at this time.

But the Turks are going to hate anyone who steps on their pride. Thing is, the hate curve ebbs & flows. It is politics & foreign policy. Yes, we better watch our step in the Mid East, because there are a lot more "players" involved in this ongoing chess game now.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This move by Nancy Pelosi doesn't help the situation either....

CNN Article

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that she intends to move ahead with a vote on a resolution that labels the deaths of more than a million Armenians during World War I as genocide.

If we already have strained relationships with our "allies", why would you want to go and introduce some overdue, do-nothing resolution that states that our allies commited genocide during WWI? Granted, I know the Armenians want this to happen, but is this the right time to do this?

I notice the Yahoo article doesn't even bring anything up about that.

new topics

top topics

join