It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug company refuses to release study on antidepressents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It seems the study showed that the drugs don't work.
..... interesting result that, just shows that the Hawthorne effect is alive and well in medicine. Any change makes a difference, just as long as you make a change"

www.washingtonpost.com...

Makers of popular antidepressants such as Paxil, Zoloft and Effexor have refused to disclose the details of most clinical trials involving depressed children, denying doctors and parents crucial evidence as they weigh fresh fears that such medicines may cause some children to become suicidal.

The companies say the studies are trade secrets. Researchers familiar with the unpublished data said the majority of secret trials show that children taking the medicines did not get any better than children taking dummy pills.

Although the drug industry's practice of suppressing data unfavorable to its products is legal, doctors and advocates say such secrecy distorts the scientific record.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I have seen these drugs work, especially right after an illness.
My Mother was so depressed, and rweather it was the meds, or her thinking it worked, it worked!
She has been a different person!

God Bless the power of the mind!

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Don't suprise me too much. Remeber a while back there was the story about the Glaxo Chief who said that 90% of his drugs only worked in 30-40% of people.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
There's a major flaw in that study. The drug company has to have submitted those trials to the FDA. And because they had to, they become public domain. I work at a small medical company, and our president was freaking out, because the FDA requires all documentation you have proving your product works, including designs and trials. Drug companies are even more watched over, so I can't imagine it's any different.

Check out the FDA website. It takes a TON of searching, but you can find the study you're looking for.

new topics

top topics

join