It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colbert's subtle (or not so subtle) hints at Skull & Bones / Bohemian Grove

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

My claims are rather general, like I've stated in my response before yours. They're broad for sake of discussion. I'm not assuming you do anything and I couldn't care less...

And if you're not against evil... Looks like we're batting for the same team. Drinks are on me.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
I personally don't belive in "them." And absolutely agree with you, when you bring a little thing we seem to so commonly lack called "PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY."

DING! DING! DING!

Bob, get that lady a prize!!!

"They" are the excuse people use for the state of affairs because no one wants to take responsibility for it.

"If I'm poor, it's because the Illuminati is oppressing me. If I have no job, it's "the Man" trying to keep me down. If the system sucks we're stuck with it because Big Brother has it all on lockdown."

It's enough to make a man physically ill.

I don't believe in "them" either, which is one reason I get such a kick out of people trying to tell me I'm one of "them" simply because of my fraternal affiliation.

If people at large would only have some personal accountability for the way things are, we might see a big change in the public outlook.

It kills me that 50% of the citizens of this country don't vote, then they have the chutzpah to complain about the status quo.

Un-freakin-believable.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by The Axeman

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the "man's" fault that you're not successful, you have bad genetics, you're overweight, you were late for work, etc... An infinite amount of conspiracy theories exist because people are incapable of coping with their own mistakes and shortcomings. People don't want to be the "master of their own destiny," so to speak. They want everyone else to take responsibility over their own life out of sheer convenience. It's the pathetic law of modern man.

"You are your own keeper."

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think far more people use their religion (aka sins forgiven after a quick prayer session) to absolve persona responsibility than CTists use CTs for the same reason. That being said, it seems a bit off-topic.

I'm still on the fence with the effigy reference. Coincidences make me think more than twice.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

I'm still on the fence with the effigy reference. Coincidences make me think more than twice.

Nah, look: Google image search - keywords: "burning effigy"

And for example: Google image search - keywords: Bohemian Grove

See my logic? I guess I'm trying to illustrate the broadness of the "burning effigy" concept, as opposed to the more centralized results you get from an even broader term.

...It would be too obscure a reference for SC to make in this context. And if he were referring to the Cremation of Care effigy, why would GWB be the 'model'? Explain the logistics of the humor from your perspective, please.

I don't think for a second that SC is beyond making more NWO, Skull & Bones, IlluminatEYE! and Bohemian Grove references, but even his more obscure references are tailored for a broader TV audience. I don't think this is one though.

But I'm always up for a round or 20 of "Where's Waldo", Scientist - feel free to send 'em my way!

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
ah, well put. Due to my own ignorance of that phrase, I immediately linked it to the first thing i am familiar with involving effigies. Obviously not the confirmation I was looking for, hah. Thanks for clearing that up.

On a somewhat related note - Colbert briefly mentioned masonry on last nights show, when talking about a "shadowy elite."

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I'm 51, a bit older than most of the people who watch The Stephen Colbert show and The Daily Show, but I watch every night, their the only show besides the news, I watch on a regular basis.

What I like about the shows is how they show our politicians saying one thing and then either saying the opposite or doing the exact opposite later, now one would think that our real news shows would show this, but they don't.

I don't watch these shows as news but I do feel they actually show a bit more truth on some of our politicians than the real news.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
ah, well put. Due to my own ignorance of that phrase, I immediately linked it to the first thing i am familiar with involving effigies...
On a somewhat related note - Colbert briefly mentioned masonry on last nights show, when talking about a "shadowy elite."

Wow; not to be all back-slappy and #, but that is one of the most commendable and admirable things I've seen posted in a long time, anywhere. If I could award points to you I would, just for that. More people should try to be like that around here. I sure will try to.

Colbert had a a segment very recently where he went on about the Illuminati (IlluminatEYE, as he pronounced it every time) ...I don't have cable now so I'm pretty sure I saw it by it having been posted here... I'll see if I can find it today.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I'll be using this post to document all further CT references made by Colbert - so if you do remember what episode that was from, I'd appreciate you posting it!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well, this is the best I could do. This is most likely where I saw the clip originally, but it's since been removed, and I can't find it anywhere else. Anyway, here's an article about it at JonesReport.com

I just want to add that this kind of humor is precisely the kind of thing that makes people - like a lot of us here - curious enough about the subject to do their own research. It is thought provoking. Regardless of Viacom's intent - this kind of material has backfired. I can't see how it reinforces the status-quo, since it goes over the heads of most people anyhow. It's almost an in-joke. And hell, you might hear me make a joke or two about tin-foil hats, but those have more to do with a playful invitation down the rabbit hole then to actually make fun of someone. I think it all boils down to intent. Viacom might not intend for you to take the red pill, but I think SC does.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i think SC is great, either working for the man or not.

p.s. great link, ill try to find the vid

[edit on 5-11-2007 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

wow you two...I think that you are some of the most intelligent people on this site. If everyone took responciblity for their actions, the world would be alot better place.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join