It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boffins invent invisible tank

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Really? Strange, I never found anything that says the BoP successfully demonstrated active camouflage. Links?

What projects tested AC on troops?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The possibilities for this in warfare are endless. Imagine a full blown riot in a city center and as the crowd grows you could sneak in a battalion that will just appear before your eyes 100 feet from you. Or imagine transporting troops through a deadly neighborhood in Iraq to avoid any casualties. Or imagine soldiers firing upon an enemy and the enemy digs in while a dozen tanks make their way behind the enemy undetected and just start torching them before they even see what was coming.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Where's that BBC link?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Not sure about the BBC one but here's a few others

modoracle

armed forces int

defensetech.org

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I'm not very enthusiastic about this

1. If it doesn't work in IR spectrum, than it is useless, because most tanks use IR even during day. So not much use on modern battlefield.

2. I don't know how effective it would be against guerillas armed with RPGs. They engage the tanks on short distance and I don't think it is so well camouflaged, that you don't see it when it's, let's say 50 meters away.

Of course it is important how much would it cost and how maintance intensive it is. If it's cheap enough than it might be used, but I don't think it would be cost effective with price of 500 000$ or so.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2
Some one posted roughly 6months ago that they saw(well kind of) a stealth tank while walking their dog or some thing around bovington Dorset.
The individual claimed he was walking down a gravel road when he heard the sound of an engine, he claimed an invisible tank drove past him kicking up the gravel and leaving a dust trail. He got ridiculed and i even think a mod labled his thread with the FAKE.
Hmm this man was taliking the truth and got laughed at

I remember the thread and i also remember correctly that the location was not Bovington.

I have spent a lot of time down there and indeed this is the place for such thing's to be made.

The name is A.T.D.U however i highly highly do not think anything so secret would just be blasting around Bovington made there yes tested no.

There are much more secluded place's for such thing's.

Another thing to think about with such stealth vehicle's is heat pattern's you might be invisible to the naked eye but look thru some thermal's and your gonna see a huge heat source.

A long way away from true stealth i think.

Regard's
Lee

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Won't the tank still cast shadows though?

I mean, just because we can't see the actual tank itself, we just see "screens", which light will not be able to travel through, thus creating a shadow.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
good job now apply the same technology to all allied units, a invisible tank with stealth technology low profile, electronic & chobam armor/deffence sounds like the ultimate tank is on the horizon

still theres a few problems tho, heat & sound

this would be next level warfare if the same technology was applyed to ships & aircraft, would be like a boxing match with the hollow man lol so unfair

[edit on 3-1-2008 by BRITWARRIOR]

[edit on 3-1-2008 by BRITWARRIOR]

<< 1   >>

join