It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Key HIV/AIDS strain came from Haiti, now may be able to make remedies for it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   

SourceThe strain of the HIV virus which predominates in the United States and Europe has been traced back to Haiti by an international team of scientists.

So now scientist's are saying since they (think they know) know that AIDS came from Haiti, they can now possibly make remedies for the HIV virus. Shouldn't they be able to make remedies no matter where it started?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jca2005

SourceThe strain of the HIV virus which predominates in the United States and Europe has been traced back to Haiti by an international team of scientists.

So now scientist's are saying since they (think they know) know that AIDS came from Haiti, they can now possibly make remedies for the HIV virus. Shouldn't they be able to make remedies no matter where it started?
(I added the bold text for emphasis)

I was puzzled by the same question. Of course, since I'm not a microbiologist or, for that matter, a scientist (medical or otherwise), it did seem to be a rather valid question: "Why would knowing where AIDS/HIV first developed make any difference in developing a treatment?

I found a blog, A.U.F.A.P. or Artists United For Aids Prevention that focused on AIDS/HIV and this question was answered -- at least to my satisfaction.

"The main challenge of developing a vaccine against HIV is its tremendous genetic diversity," he said.
Knowing the gamut of diversity within subtype B could be important for effectively developing and testing vaccines that will work in Haiti SOURCE

Incidentally, the blog went on to provide a history of AIDS/HIV and it was extremely interesting. HIV/AIDS Basic Information

[edit on 11/2/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

new topics

join