It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were in chare of disclosure, when would you do it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
If the government decided they were going to disclose ET life in the next year, and you were in charge of the timetable, when would you do it (assuming it was all going to come out over the next year)? I was just curious what time/date/season would cause minimal collateral effects on the psyche, economy, etc...? Winter ( snow might keep riots down)? Summer (students are not in school, wont disrupt colleges, etc...), When would you make the offical announcment of ET intelligent life? Weekend ( stockmarket closed)? Weekday (more people at work, less chance for riots)? Morning, afternoon, evenining, midnight?

[edit on 29-10-2007 by b309302]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Benchmarks and time tables are for the Neocons. I go now, do now. If I was your leader I would not decieve you. I would not hesitate to inform you of the truth, no matter what panic it could start.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I would, as you said, disclose during the colder months of the year, and on a Sunday or Monday. Anticipating the usual panic and potential mass demonstrations that could happen, by disclosing in the winter time it might quell the knee-jerk reaction of the public. When warmer weather rolled around people will have had time to digest the FACTS that I have disclosed and reasonable public discourse would rule the day.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Christmas would be a good time.

Half the population wouldn't even know disclosure had happened, there would be far too much mirth and merriment going on.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by made2fade
Christmas would be a good time.

Half the population wouldn't even know disclosure had happened, there would be far too much mirth and merriment going on.

I think I would choose Christmas season, also. People would be caught up in their own families, shopping, and feeling overall happiness, etc. I think that winter might be too cold, people staying inside, thinking too much about negative things.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
One of the arguments as to why there has been no disclosure is pretty simple. They don't know 'enough'.

Scenario #1 Not -sure- they are Extraterrestrial:

Let's say we know there are incursions, but we are not -sure- they are Extraterrestrial (say, they -know- they are not earthly; Russians, etc.). Then it makes sense not to disclose. I mean, seriously, would you want your gubmint saying 'they're here' if they aren't sure. It's actually an irresponsible act.

Scenario #2 They don't know the home world of the "pilots/occupants":

They know the incursions are non-terrestrial, but they don't know the home world of the "pilots/occupants". Experts might give similar theories as a layperson - ET, inner-Earth, extra-Dimensional, future Earthings.

Scenario #3 They don't want the ET to know that WE know:

They know the incursions are Extra-terrestrial, i.e., from outer space, because they tracked a craft from out beyond, oh, say the orbit of Mars. They don't disclose because they don't want the ET to know that WE know they are being tracked. This kinda makes sense from the military/National Sec. point of view.

Scenario #4 They have to admit they can't protect us:

We know ET is here, they know we know. But we don't know their intent, nor where they are from. Knowing it could be more destabilizing the less they know (i.e., they have to admit they can't protect us), they decide not to disclose until they know more. Plus ET isn't really threatening us, so there's no pressure on that front to disclose too soon.

Other scenarios Non-living; Ephemeral; Extreme high tech:

Robots probes, ultra-dimensional probes or other 'ephemeral' types of incursions (iow, no concrete evidence, even if circumstantial evidence - for ex: the non-terrestrial merely -tells- us they are from the future/other dimension). Finally the 'probes' could be so advanced that we're not able to tell what they are, probes, living, non-living, just that they are not earthly but info is extremely hard to acquire.

You could really keep going with several more.

The point is, there's really only one scenario that it would be safe to disclose. That would be the one where:
1. They know we know;
2. We know where they are from;
3. We have some real assurances of their non-hostile intent.

So when you think about it, arguably there's really a fairly narrow set of circumstances under which a responsible gubmint should or would tell their citizens.

Now, I agree if ET really is abducting people they should make the leap and let people know.

The way to do it is by a somewhat gradual means.

In the best case scenario:
1. Disclose that we've had communications from a distant star system;
2. Soon after, disclose what they've said or their intent (if any);
3. Disclose that they're going to send representatives;
4. Disclose that they'll be here next month.

2 cents.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Announce it a day before or on Valentines. It would make the day far more crazy. Thousands of significant others finding out that their loved ones aren't from Kansas. Priceless. Plus, imagine all the talk shows that would eat this up...

"Today, we meet alien spouses with 3 breasts"
"Meet alien wives who say it is standard belief to eat their husbands after the first child is born."
"Say hello to an alien husband who claims his third leg is really a third leg."

How fun would that be?!

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Geez, that was an incredibly insightful post. I wouldn't be surprised if the parameters you laid out are in fact the exact ones the government has laid out. Fascinating.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   

If the government decided they were going to disclose ET life in the next year, and you were in charge of the timetable, when would you do it (assuming it was all going to come out over a few days)?

How can you ask for a timetable and then give us one?

It's an intriguing question though...

Me, I'd start with the announcement of life microbes found in an asteroid.
Then, a few months later, I'd announce water outside the earth.
This would be followed in a few more months with the discovery of live, but primitive organisms on Mars or Europa.

These steps get everyone more acceptable of the idea of alien life in general.

Then, in a year or so, assuming we've either:
1. Figured out some of the tech
or
2. Made friendly contact
Then I'd let the cat out of the bag and show recovered craft and/or bodies, etc. and try to inform the public of some of the basic FAQs...

If we've done neither 1 or 2, then I'd still be on the side of keeping it secret to
1. Not upset the status quo and destabilize society
2. Ensure we don't rile the aliens (remember, THEY are keeping the secret too....takes two to Tango...)

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

nice thinking beyond the usual cover-up-conspiracy accusiations toward the government. really nice thinking. Actually you could start a seperate thread on that post.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Disclosure has global implications, and would affect all parts of the world in different ways.

The focus shouldn't be bringing about the least amount of potentially damaging change; it should be about bringing the right amount.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I would claim that God had sent his angels down to earth, or demons respectively.

Basically i'd try to make it as religiously symbolic as possible*, to get people to go 'ohhh' and 'ahhh', in that order - try to awe people into a contemplative mindframe about what this could mean for the human race, as opposed to everyone reacting at once and blowing each other up.

As for a time-frame, it is not a matter of when, but how.

*This would also help to stop the religious masses turning on each other.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by Throbber]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Sorry, mistake in the original post. I didn't mean over a few days. I meant over a year. Just assuming you had a year for whatever reason to make the facts known. And when would you make the official announcment. I'll correct that.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Actually, you can ignore my previous post.

What seems fitting is to do it at halloween, when people are actually expecting something spooky. (not this one, of course).

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Throbber, has a good point, however Halloween could be a time when no one will take it as seriously. You know, kind of like an April fools day type of thing.

I think that Winter is your best option because its colder and people are less likely run out in the streets and panic and riot and form mobs.

Your not someone giving us false hope are you?

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I would agree that Christmas would probably be the best time. Cold weather might be a benefit to keep people indoors and out of the streets. Plus you get the added advantage of people being very distracted already with a hundred other things to do.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by b309302]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Nice and interesting post OP!

Me, personally i would do it on april fools day
that'd get everyone talking...

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

This is my thought also, Gaz. Let it out slowly over a period of weeks and months, in small doses. First disclose something small and non-threatening then ramp it up.

That way you're not giving too big a 'reality altering' dose, and since no one thing is too much, it's likely that no panic will result.

This is what many thought was happening when Disney started to let out some information and developed some exhibits at DW related to Alien contact, but for some reason it seemed to fizzle.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I probably would make sure nothing too major was revealed on a weekday.I would be too worried about the stockmarket crashing. I think even in slow doses, the actual announcment of intelligent ET life being confirmed is going to have an impact. I mean we all know the Iran war is probably coming, but it still is going to hit hard once the bombs actually drop. Same for ET's, always going to be something I don't think you can totally prepare for, reguardless how slowly you prepare the public. I'll definatley be calling in sick if I work that day though =)

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I would do it on January 1st 12:00 am, right when the ball has dropped in the big apple. Could you imagine what all the people would be saying after they get over their hangovers in the morning or afternoon.

Of course who's to say they're not doing it right now. You know, over a period of time, like Badgeo1 said. Build it up until 2012.

[edit on 10/29/2007 by Solarskye]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join