It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush immune from War crimes????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
An aquantance told me That a piece of legislation was recently passed as an add on to a different bill that made Bush and his cronies immune from any future prosecution for War crimes. I have been unable to find a link or any news articles confirming this. Is this true? and if it is, is it even legal? edit: here is a link from cnn.....

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 28-10-2007 by canuck7500]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just before Iraq, Bush pulled us out of the Hague, the World Court, where a war crimes trial would typically be brought. Is that what you are referring to or is this something else?

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
no it was something else i believe

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

If im not mistaken, we have never belonged to the world court and the reason given was to protect our sovereignty from outside interference.
According to the explanation given, they did not want US citizens to be prosecuted by a foreign nation for crimes committed in the US.
We arent the only ones that havent joined up though.

World Court @ Wiki

There was a case a couple of years ago where a European Nation, Belgium or something like that, had a warrant out for a certain member of Govt, saying if he entered the country, he would be arrested..
I dont remember who or exactly when this was or the circumstances but im sure someone on here knows what I'm referring to though.

[edit on 10/28/2007 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I found it, started an old thread on this a while back...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
very interesting thank you for the link, however what i was referring too, as it was explained to me, was that this was a recent piece of legislation designed to protect bush and the current members in government from prosecution in regards to their involvement in the invasion of iraq. As i recall, it was designed as essentially a presedential pardon in advance....

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
So in otherwords this is something that the various members of the Hague should have been reminded about when George went after Saddam.

It would explain why several members were reluctant to join him on his little crusade, really.

I guess this also makes them exempt from the ruling on using chemical warfare too, which was used in Iraq at one point, if memory serves correctly.

I'm surprised this didn't cause a #storm in congress.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
whats strange to me is i can find no reference to this, and my friend who told me about it isnt a conspiracy nut like myself, a snippet from the main stream news i believe

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
edited original post to include a link, has this legislation passed?

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by canuck7500

Yeah, it was signed by the President on October 17, 2006.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
abovepolitics.com...
Text of the Military Commissions Act

[edit on 10/28/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
it must be nice, to break laws with impunity......visiting the bank could be so much more fun.....

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Aren't you refering to an Executive Order, wher Bush can just by pass Congress? If so, I remember reading about it a while ago.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 07:18 AM
link   
is this what you were talking about?
www.wsws.org...
cutting off aid if countries dont sign bilateral immunity treaties?

also the guy mentioned earlier may have been kissinger? I remember reading somewhere he is considered a war criminal in some countries (and by me)

top topics

join