It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leonardo's "Last Supper" Goes HiDef Online: At 16 Billion Pixels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I found this interesting and thought a few of you guys would too. The detail is excellent I think. The link at the bottom goes to the picture.
I spent about 40 minutes looking at it..
I have a short attention span. It took a little while to load.

Leonardo's "Last Supper" Goes HiDef Online
Internet Users Can Now See 15th Century Masterpiece At 16 Billion Pixels

~~

(AP) Can't get to Milan to see Leonardo Da Vinci's masterpiece "The Last Supper?"

As of Saturday, all you need is an Internet connection. Officials put online an image of the "Last Supper" at 16 billion pixels - 1,600 times stronger than the images taken with the typical 10 million pixel digital camera.

The high resolution will allow experts to examine details of the 15th century wall painting that they otherwise could not - including traces of drawings Leonardo put down before painting.

www.cbsnews.com...

Photo
Last Supper

www.haltadefinizione.com...

[edit on 28/10/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This is absoulutly amazing with what you can do with techonology!!

I wonder what people will find too! WOW, UP TO 16 BILLION!??! Outstanding.

Wonder if there will be any incredible findings too, like the Knights Tempart and how the three pillars are there and the "M" in regards to Jesus' arms outstratched.

All in all this is surely to be amazing and looked at.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Old man's memory. Could be wrong. Wasn't this painted on a wall used by Italian soldiers for target practice during one of the world wars and almost the entire picture is merely a reproduction with very few lines actually produced by DiVinci?

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jabawaki

HOLY CRAP!??!!?!

Wow, its thats true, then there isnt any reason to assume that there isnt anything conspiracy realted to it and its all just mistake drawn in?? That would really hurt....

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Looks like somone is restraining another mans hand from shanking Jesus (far left).

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And who is the dude on the far right? He is dressed to impress, and the only guy there that has a crowd (other then Jesus).

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
don't you know that this is dual purpose exercise,

first the pixtel overload on one's PC
2nd, the demand for higher fees by ISPs for the massive increase of bytes
being shuffled around,
(think in terms of the com-cast issue being played out,
where the ISP is effectively 'censoring' the heavy traffic users,
such as those who traffic an inordinate ammount of videos/pics/gaming etc
and their connection 'crashes' because com-cast alledegly wants to cull those users from their subscriber rolls)

watch the 'blowback' crescendo,
and wealth transfer gain momentum
as the average user pays more for service that the bit torrent addicts
caused for everyone else

[edit on 29-10-2007 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
why cant it jus download the whole damn thing at once.. or at leat have the option.. its nice scripting in flash but its annoying to me..

zooming in and out is like im back on dialup. why not grab it all then let my vid card do the work of expanding the pixels..

bleh.

-G

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That sort of technology recently baited out the fact that Mona Lisa 'had' eyebrows. Before her probably well meaning 'touch ups' over the ages. Tech is going leaps and bounds now. Wonder what will be envisioned even 3 yrs from now, 10, 20? Betcha we don't even recognise the dark ages by then.

[edit on 30-10-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
watch the 'blowback' crescendo,
and wealth transfer gain momentum
as the average user pays more for service that the bit torrent addicts
caused for everyone else

[edit on 29-10-2007 by St Udio]

I`m in Japan: flat rate. every month. Unlimited. 10000kb/s, on average.

On topic: this application is seriously cool. Any word on other applications of the technology? I`d love to see this done to the Sistine Chapel.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
great find

The accuracy is certainly astonishing indeed, i hope more pictures will come out in this quality.

@St Udio youve got the wrong provider
3mb flatrate dsl 24 hours a day 7 days a week constant speed

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
3 mb bandwidth im sure.. what your max download speed?

im at 5-6mb and 600kb/s not the best but its that or Cox at 30 kb/s for $15 less a month.

which is why i want an option to download all the data of the image at once! 100mb? pshh.. takes no time at all. ^_^

-G

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

10,000kb/s, on average.

10 mb/s...
10 fn megs per second..
i highly doubt it.. unless you spend many hundreds of U.S. dollars a month on internet access.. in which case you still wouldnt get that download rate since servers wont uplod that fast.. so either your full of poo.. full of poo.. or dont know what your talking about.

how'd this end up a conversation about how fast we can download?

i want to download the whole picture, still, damnit! ^_^

-G

[edit on 30-10-2007 by GlahES]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
While down load speed can be an interesting topic could we please leave it to another thread and continue this thread please. "Leonardo's "Last Supper" Goes HiDef Online: At 16 Billion Pixels" I wonder if this technology could be used for viewing the moon and other planets? Or is that a different ball game

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm not sure if i'm correct on this but, Did they have clear glass cups back then,because there are many on the table .....

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
One example is quartz glass, a colourless high-purity glass invented by Abbas Ibn Firnas (810-887). So why the clear glass..

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
still a digression.. the clear glass cups..

ok so we made a picture digital... woo... yeah... wtf else is new.. thats whay we digress i think.. art like this wasnt supposed to be scaled to a microscopic level. if you want the actual effect that the artist wanted to convey.. visit the painting..

if you want to convey the effect digitally to people who cannot visit the actual painting.. dont freakin make me wait 2 minutes per change in perspective for your #ty ass program to re-upload the given data to my computer when i could have downloaded all the data at one and be fre to roam and zoom in and out at my own pace with minimal waiting.

thats my point and noone will say otherwise because they cant.

people are too courteous on the ATS forums. too damn polotical.
ill digress here about this rather than a more serious posting. And like hell if i'd bring this up elsewhere.. since this whole post is more or less a digression..

weeeee!

-G

top topics

join