It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone write ancient ufo quotes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I've been trying to find something, and can't. Does anyone know if there's any qoutes made by the ancients (greek, roman, etc) that deal with other worlds? Sorry for the short post, I saw two qoutes my a roman philosipher, and the other one greek, but haven't found them on the internet.

-----------------------------
title edit per OP request

[edit on 29/10/07 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by malakiem

Tito Livio, in his "History of Rome", reported witnesses of objects circularly shaped which flew in the sky and that they had been seen over many Towns of the Empire. It adds also that a King of Rome, Numa Pompilio, was personal witness of the fall from the sky of one of these "flying shield" and that it had included it between the practical objects of cult of the religious ones that was promoting.

Seneca, in its "Treaty of natural sciences", mentioned many observations carried out on the manifestation of inexplicable "luminous beams" that appeared to the unexpected one in skies of an ancient town, which remained static for several days, then disappeared to the unexpected way as they had arrived. It happened also, in according to the reports, that from Rome many groups of Legionari they ran in aid of the town believing was destroyed from a fire of immense proportions generated by immenses red beams coming from shields in the sky. When the soldiers reached the town they found an enormous fixed beam in the sky.

Ancient and early modern ideas
See also: Cosmic pluralism
Belief in extraterrestrial life may have been present in ancient Assyria, Egypt, Arabia, China, Babylon, India and Sumer, although in these societies, cosmology was fundamentally supernatural and the notion of alien life is difficult to distinguish from that of gods, demons, and such. The first important Western thinkers to argue systematically for a universe full of other planets and, therefore, possible extraterrestrial life were the ancient Greek writer Thales and his student Anaximander in the 7th and 6th centuries B.C. The atomists of Greece took up the idea, arguing that an infinite universe ought to have an infinity of populated worlds. Ancient Greek cosmology worked against the idea of extraterrestrial life in one critical respect, however: the geocentric universe. Championed by Aristotle and codified by Ptolemy, it favored the Earth and Earth-life (Aristotle denied there could be a plurality of worlds) and seemingly rendered extraterrestrial life philosophically untenable. Lucian in his novels described inhabitants of the Moon and other celestial bodies as humanoids, but with significant differences from humans.

Giordano Bruno, De l'Infinito, Universo e Mondi, 1584 Photo courtesy of P.C.Authors of ancient Jewish sources also considered extraterrestrial life. The Talmud states that there are at least 18,000 other worlds, but provides little elaboration on the nature of the worlds and on whether they are physical or spiritual. Based on this, however, the medieval exposition "Sefer HaB'rit" posits that extraterrestrial creatures exist but that they have no free will (and are thus equivalent to animal life). It adds that human beings should not expect creatures from another world to resemble earthly life, any more than sea creatures resemble land animals.[6][7]

Hindu beliefs of endlessly repeated cycles of life have led to descriptions of multiple worlds in existence and their mutual contacts ( Sanskrit word Sampark (समपर्क) means 'contact' as in Mahasamparka (मह‌समपर्क) = the great contact). According to Hindu scriptures there are innumerable universes created by the Supreme Personality of Godhead to facilitate the fulfillment of the separated desires of innumerable living entities. However, the purpose of such creations is to bring back the deluded souls to correct understanding about the purpose of life. Apart from the innumerable universes which are material, there is also the existence of unlimited spiritual world, where the purified living entities live with perfect conception about life and ultimate reality. The life of these purified beings is centered around loving devotional services to Supreme Personality of Godhead. The spiritually aspiring saints and devotees as well as thoughtful men of material world have been getting guidance and help from these purified living entities of spiritual world from time immemorial. However, the relevance of such descriptions have to be evaluated in the context of a correct understanding of geography and science at those times.

Within Islam, the statement of the Qur'an "All praise belongs to God, Lord of all the worlds" indicates multiple universal bodies and maybe even multiple universes that may indicate extraterrestrial and even extradimensional life. Surat Al-Jinn also mentioned a statement from a Jinn regarding the current status and ability of his group in the heavens. A more direct reference from Quran is presented by Mirza Tahir Ahmad as a proof that life on other planets may exist according to Quran. In his book, Revelation, Rationality, Knowledge & Truth, he quotes verse 42:30 "And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and of whatever living creatures (da'bbah) He has spread forth in both..."; according to this verse there is life in heavens. According to the same verse "And He has the power to gather them together (jam-'i-him) when He will so please"; indicates the bringing together the life on Earth and the life elsewhere in the universe. The verse does not specify the time or the place of this meeting but rather states that this event will most certainly come to pass whenever God so desires. It should be pointed out that the Arabic term Jam-i-him used to express the gathering event can imply either a physical encounter or a contact through communication.[8]

When Christianity spread throughout the West, the Ptolemaic system became very widely accepted, and although the Church never issued any formal pronouncement on the question of alien life[9] at least tacitly the idea was aberrant. In 1277 the Bishop of Paris, Étienne Tempier, did overturn Aristotle on one point: God could have created more than one world (given His omnipotence) yet we know by revelation He only made one. Taking a further step and arguing that aliens actually existed remained rare. Notably, Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa speculated about aliens on the moon and sun.

Read more here
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Edit your title to write "quotes" and you will get more responses to your thread.

We learned in school that we only became aware of space and other planets around the 15th and 16th Century. This is not true though. Romans, Greeks and the ancient egyptians have more than enough references to the nature of the universe (see post above). This was only forgotten throughout the dark ages (about 4th Century to 15th Century), ages we are only slowly emerging from.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, can one of the mods help me to edit the post? I don't see any edit button anymore. Can one of the mods change it to "Can someone write ufo quotes"? Or something similar? please?

ps: There I changed it

[edit on 29-10-2007 by malakiem]

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Damn, you misspelled it AGAIN. Nevermind.

Anyway...type in various Greek and Roman historians into google along with the word "UFO" and maybe "quotes" (but in this spelling). Then share the results with us. Something like:

Herodot + UFO + quotes

Plinius + UFO + quotes

This is very rare because so many ancient books have been burned and locked up by religious fanatics...but I think there are still some out there.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   
thanks again sky, I know it's a bad habit. I always mispell the same words over again, i'm finally now spelling ancient correctly. I have other reasons why I do that but I don't want to depress the readers of the thread. Anyway thanks for the idea sky.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
can anyone help? does anyone know? I know there was someone who posted two qoutes, I think one was from plato, and the other was greek I think, his name started with an o.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
All I can do is send you to these sites.

Greek Roman Alien Ufo Gods

Just remember that Mythology is most often the term that refers specifically to ancient tales of historical cultures and religion.

I still don't understand your question? " Can anyone write ancient ufo quotes?
Do you mean: show writing's of ancient ufo quotes?
Or actually write or decipher ancient writings?

African Ufo ET Alien God Connection

Chinese and India Ufo Gods

Hope this helps, but if not please explain your question a little more.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   

What I meant was show writings of ancient qoutes, sorry about that. Maybe that's why no one responds to my threads, no one understands what I mean. I was reading 2, one from plato, here it is: It is clear to everyone that astronomy at all events compels the soul to look upwards, and draws it from the things of this world to the other - Plato. There's an example. I saw another one from a greek to. Thanks for the help and advice solarsky.
. Solarsky, are those sites credible and reliable? I've heard of the dropa story in the netscentia website were they speak of the beings from other planets (the story before the dropa)? I've never heard of it.

[edit on 29-10-2007 by malakiem]

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by malakiem
Solarsky, are those sites credible and reliable? I've heard of the dropa story in the netscentia website were they speak of the beings from other planets (the story before the dropa)? I've never heard of it.

I'm not sure if they're true so read them with an open mind. Really never believe anything you read without researching it for yourself.
I'll try and search for some ancient quotes, but I don't know if I'll have any luck.

new topics

top topics

join