It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WoT, can we be human here for a bit?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm sitting here scratching a lottery ticket, listening to Metalica, I listened to Stone Sour before this and will probably listen to Theory of a Dead Man or My Chemical Romance after this. Damn, I'm doing good, 3 vowels came off first. A good sign. Do the troops have these things? Forget your political bent, think of those that upped. They did it for you. That's what service is.

Second Metalica tune, Fuel. Damn, the "h" wasn't bad. Do the troops have these distractions? Doubt it.

Let's leave the WMD and "oil war" crap alone for a little bit please. We're talking about those that felt the need to serve. Not a bad calling. Excuse me while I sit in my safe living room and scratch another letter. Damn, "w" only gave me 1 scratch.

Queen up, 39. "a" only one other vowel left. A good sign. Jimmy Buffett. A few consanants, not bad. I wonder if it's as hot in Afghanistan and Iraq as it is in New Mexico or Arizona. How would a Maine boy, or a Canuck deal with that heat?

Sum 41. Scratched out. Won $5. Detroit Rock City was classic. Current time in Afghanistan is 6am. The next day. What are they going to deal with today?

Getting my point? There are more than just us here. These are service people doing what they upped for. There are mothers, fathers, girlfriends, boyfriends, brothers and sisters of these people that worry about them every minute.

Let's have some respect for them and their families. Bitch about the WoT in other threads because of what you consider a conspiracy but let's have some support for REAL people that are just doing their job here please. And their families.

I'd wager they wouldn't mind hearing the tunes they want and scratching a lotto ticket as well. They're a little busy though.

I hope this makes sense to folks.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think it makes sense. I have a neighbor who job it is to be the liason for families who lost a soldier. He is often the first contact they have with someone from the military, not a very fun job.

I know a dad with an 11 year old son who has served two tours in Iraq and in May probably will be headed back for a third.

You probably have seen this, but it seems appropriate:

[edit on 26-10-2007 by pavil]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have respect for the military. I do. I don't have an ounce of respect, however, for the male sociopaths that listen to Drowning Pool who join up in the military to go and shoot colored people. Unfortunately, these types make a up a large percentage of the military. If this offends some, fine. But as a sociology and psychology student, I can say with confidence that in order for you to willingly sign up for the military knowing full-well where you will be shipped, you need to have a few loose screws upstairs.

That is not to say that there aren't a lot of good men and women in the forces who truly believe in what they are doing. I hold nothing against them.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I hear you intrepid.
My co-worker just walked out the door for his next deployment.
Kuwait for now.
Never seen - Always heard
193rd Special Air Wing

Peace

~B

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
It's true that youth is wasted on the young, for those are the ones joining and going off to fight. If they had a few more years of experience under their belt it would probably mean the end to all the crazy old mens wars. If our youth only had an idea of what was truly going on, there would never be another skirmish.

We can't fault them though, for what misery youth would be without dreams of glory.

My youngest daughter finished first in her class, had a full boat scholarship to college, The world was hers to take. She joined the military. This time next year she'll be in Afganistan. (sp?)

I can't explain her decision. Hell, I can't explain my decisions at that age. All I can do is respect it.

There are bad people in this world and we need people who are willing to fight to stop them.

So the rest of us may go on in peace.

Just my thoughts,

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernDystopia

Hey, i listened to drowning pool when i was in high school and i didn't join the military.

I'll just say i was feelin a little dark at the time, and felt that the only thing worth doing was fighting - but not for someone else, for myself, of course.

I have every ounce of respect for those who go off to fight for their country as part of what they feel is patriotic duty.

I just wish that our political masters wouldn't abuse the military like they do.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I totally agree with the assessment that our troops are being USED by the gov't, damn shame for those that feel the need to serve our countries. That is a noble calling imo and they are NOT being served properly.

As you can tell I was listening to tunes last night and saw this one for the first time:

Amazing, I've been following Green Day for years and hadn't come across this. Some will call it a propaganda piece, I think it is but it spoke to me enough to start this thread.

My son graduates next year and he's made it clear he wants to go into the Engineers. That makes me proud but will also be worried once he's deployed.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I totally one hundred percent agree with you OP. I truly believe 95 percent of America do as well. What we don't agree with is our troops being 'pimped' out by this current war machine of a government. I die inside a little bit every time I read of stories such as pleas for carpet mats to sleep on so they don't have sand flies eating them while they catch a few z's for fear of getting flesh meniasis. I've been pissed as hell for the last seven years and have emailed every last dag nabet congressman and senator and white house about my views of there foreign policy and spineless cavings to the executive branch. We have been dumbed down and news blocked to the point we aren't even allowed to see the coffins coming home. I guess they learned well the psyops since Vietnam. No, it isn't fair they shoulder the burden of Bush war. No, it isn't fair college expense is out of reach for so many now. No, it isn't fair I get to listen to 'What new' on NPR typing on my computer in my safe little hobble while these guys and gals just want to stay in one piece and alive for another day. I think a draft and a war tax would be a great thing to lay the vines of reality into the safe, secure leaf piles of complacent America.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I also believe that a bill should be passed that every son, daughter, grandson, grandaughter of EVERY Congressman and Senator and President between the ages of 18 and 35 will take point on EVERY current and new war. Now that would make me very happy indeed. They wouldn't allow Prince Harry to serve because it might make a political row if he was captured. Cow cookies!

[edit on 27-10-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Start Pysch testing every single person who wants to join any force, then pysh test them over and over, followed by "You want to serve your country? Go to McDonalds."

Humans are naturally destructive, give a man a gun and he can't help but not shoot. But what do I know, I'm just here sitting in my living room while others decide upon themselves to join the army in hopes of good pay and benefits...with the disasterous realization that you'd rather be dead.

And you don't think the Iraq "insurgents" (citizens who are pissed) aren't fighting for the same reasons? Freedom?

Freedom has many meanings, positive and negative.

[edit on 27-10-2007 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
Start Pysch testing every single person who wants to join any force, then pysh test them over and over, followed by "You want to serve your country? Go to McDonalds."

Humans are naturally destructive, give a man a gun and he can't help but not shoot. But what do I know, I'm just here sitting in my living room while others decide upon themselves to join the army in hopes of good pay and benefits...with the disasterous realization that you'd rather be dead.

And you don't think the Iraq "insurgents" (citizens who are pissed) aren't fighting for the same reasons? Freedom?

Freedom has many meanings, positive and negative.

That is a granted Tomis. How do you think we'd react if China decided to land 170,000 into America and bring us Communism because their President was the 'great decider'.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
That is a granted Tomis. How do you think we'd react if China decided to land 170,000 into America and bring us Communism because their President was the 'great decider'.

I'd do what anyone else would do, defend my country from the invaders, as the Iraqi people are.

Heart is what makes a soldier a soldier, Heart is what wins a war, Heart is dedication to your cause.

From what's been happening in this war, it seems to me the "enemy" has more heart than the "good guys". Why do they? Because you broke into someones home, what do you expect, them to just give up? No, there children are in the same house, there family and lives...they will fight you dead...just like you would fight for your home and family.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more Tomis. I'd much rather demonize the 'deciders' and the gutless senators and congressman than rank and file soldiers following orders though.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'd start Psyche testing every President, senator, and congressman for syphillis and madness and wide crapper stances before I'd test any soldier.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I'd start Psyche testing every President, senator, and congressman for syphillis and madness and wide crapper stances before I'd test any soldier.

True to that. Test anyone in power, from religion to government and you'll realize the gas pump attendant at Texaco is the brightest one of all, so to speak. You know what I mean.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
happy now?

[edit on 28/10/07 by eagle32]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by eagle32

Thank you for your sarcastic reply. Guess we had to get at least one person here that DOESN'T get the point. Now I could leave it at that but guess what, your post annoyed me so much that I won't. You should really do at least a little reading before spouting off. Check my panel dude, I'm CANADIAN.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
happy now?

[edit on 28/10/07 by eagle32]

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by eagle32

Ya know, did you even read the OP? He doesn't mention any one particular nation. Oh and he's Canadian by the way, just so ya know.

I have an email that I friend of mine sent me. Just think about what it's content is. I know that some of this is fluff but pay particular attention to the bolded stuff.

You stay up for 16 hours

He stays up for days on end.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.

He goes days or weeks without running water.

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He gets shot at as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends.

He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket.

He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags._

You talk trash about your "buddies" that aren't with you.

He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.

He patrols the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

You complain about how hot it is.

He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.

He doesn't get to eat today.

Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.

He wears the same things for weeks, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

You go to the mall and get your hair redone.

He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

You're angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.

He's told he will be held over an extra 2 months.

You call your girlfriend and set a date for tonight.

He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home._

You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.

He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

You roll your eyes as a baby cries.

He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet

You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.

He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own people and remembers why he is fighting.

You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of men like him.

He hears the gunfire, bombs and screams of the wounded.

You see only what the media wants you to see.

He sees the broken bodies lying around him.

You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.

He does exactly what he is told.

You stay at home and watch TV.

He takes whatever time he is given to call, write home, sleep, and eat.

You crawl into your soft bed, with down pillows, and get comfortable.

He tries to sleep but gets woken by mortars and helicopters all night long.

You sit there and judge him, saying the world is probably a worse place because of men like him.

If only there were more men like him

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by eagle32
Delete my posts pretend I never said anything and get back to your own magical one sided world.

:shk: wow, you really do not get it eh? Talk about living in a one sided world *ring ring* Hello pot? Its the kettle....... your black.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join