It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3:40 A.M.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I went to bed too late last night. I was having a fun time in chat with some of the usual suspects.

But alas, I have court this afternoon, and I needed to get some sleep. Snoring in a hearing is frowned upon by the judge in most cases.

I fell asleep pretty hard and fast despite the fact I'm always a bit nervous the night before court. I was sleeping really well, having a dream that I was enjoying, though I don't remember what it was.

Then the phone rings. I forgot to turn the ringer down before I went to bed. Rats. I look at my clock. 3:40. Argh. I ignore it and when the caller gets my machine and hangs up, I know it's an old customer of the crack dealer who had my phone number previously. It's been about 8 months since one of them called, so I thought they'd all figured out that she's moved on.

Ah. Silence. I turn over and try to go back to sleep. 30 seconds later ... RING. RING. RING ...

I fly out of bed with my hair standing on end and my eyes as big as saucers like a mythological avenging fury and pick up the phone.

"WHAT?!"

"Uh ... is Fred there?"

"Who?"

"Fred."

"Do I sound like Fred to you? There's no Fred here. And thanks so much for waking me up jerk."

I can't slam the phone down, because it has an off button. I miss those old slam-worthy phones.

I was steamed, but not so steamed it took more than 15 minutes to go back to sleep. But now I have court today and I'm so tired!

What is it about crack heads that they think it's not only acceptable to call after 10 PM, but if nobody answers the phone, they think it's OK to call back!

At least it wasn't the original pest, Rhonda Bonds. She would call, ask for "Carla" and when I would say wrong number, she'd call back again. And again. And again. One night she called me five times in a ten minute period, all at 2:30 AM. I finally had to put a call blocker on her number. Then she called me from a cell phone a couple of times until I threatened to have her arrested.

People with drug problems shouldn't be allowed to call out of their houses to anyone but 911 after midnight.

I do have caller ID, though ... if I was feeling particularly mean, I could call this Fredseeker at random times throughout the day and night today.

But nah. He just better not call me back again or I may have to put his number up on Craigslist, selling something in high demand, and asking people to call only after 3:00 AM.

[edit on 24-10-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Hay Major,
Hope you got some sleep, and best wishes for your court meeting

Hook up an answering machine that says some thing on these lines.
" Hello, if you are calling to place an order please press 1. If you were stupid enough to have done this I don't wish to waste my time talking to you any way, good bey"
...or " Hello, we are currently not taking orders, never have and never will, thank you"

WIS

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If I didn't get calls from court officials, I'd put something like, "The crack dealer you think you are calling has dropped off the face of the earth. Go out on the streets and look for her. I'm sleeping."

I just don't get the hanging up on the machine and calling back right away thing.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

We've had a like problem thanks to the previous owner of our current phone number. We can't order a pizza because of the trouble they caused. The people that call at all hours speak mostly Spanish which make anything I yell back at them almost usless unless I mutter one magic word "Immigration".

Since then I've change my home number anyway. I never use it for much because I cell phone everyone.

I hope you get some rest very soon.

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My sympathy is with you MM. The apartment that I live in now must have been inhabited by some descendant of your homeboy Fred.

Not only do I have someone calling looking for Terrence, but I have some stupid collections agency calling me incessantly. There were times when this company was claling me every other minute for a half hour...no joke. I ended up calling their main office and being a tad harsh with the poor woman that answered the line. All has been solved and the calls for Terrence have calmed down to a trickle.

Hope all went well in court

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
freakin' crack heads and their late night dope calls

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
By FSM DW, I forgot all about the collection agencies looking for Carla.

Oi! Carla! If you're reading this and you used to have my number, pay your freaking bills already!!!

Court went great, actually! Won't have the decision for five days, but I am fairly confident that for once my ex's lies came home to roost. And roost they have. I'm so glad not to be him tonight.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
hey double m,

u2u me the number and i'll call and harass em a bit for ya

Sorry for your troubles. I have the same problem here, only it's with mexican illegals who just made it into the country looking for Carlo wanting to be picked up. Luckily, I speak enough spanish to let them know that I'm not Carlo and I then wish them luck in finding him.

Take it easy,
jasn

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
MM
Glad to hear that court went well for you. That alone should give you some rest.
I once had some pushy woman calling for my daughter months after my daughter had moved out of the house. Problem is, I worked the night shift and this woman would call at 3 in the afternoon or so and I'd politely tell her that my daughter didn't live here anymore and that I worked nights and slept days so please don't call here anymore. She would immediately call back and demand to speak to my daughter. I blocked the number but she just went to another phone and called from there. Several times.
Then she'd get personal and abusive demanding to know what kind of lazy bum I was to still be in bed at 3 in the afternoon. I'd hang up on her and she'd call back. I didn't want to unplug my phone because my kids know that if they need me they can always call no matter what time of the day or night. This priviledge extends ONLY to them. Finally, when I dragged my sleepless self to work that night, I waited until about 3 in the morning and called this woman's home number. When she answered, I said, "what are you doing in bed when the rest of us are all up and working? Get up you lazy bum." I called her about 5 more times before she finally decided to take her phone off the hook. I haven't had any more phone calls from her.
The good news is that if you keep the same phone number for any length of time, the crackheads will eventually quit calling it. Of course there's always the random drunk who misdials your number at 3 in the morning, apologizes profusely for waking you then spends another 5 minutes wanting you to figure out what number they're trying to reach and why you're not it. *aaarrrrgggghhh!*

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
What is it with people? That Rhonda character had the nerve to get mad at me for her making me mad for waking me up!

I don't know if it's a decline in common sense, or if people are just hopped up on goofballs anymore.

new topics

top topics

join