It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin tells Washington: Russia will not accept military action against Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Putin tells Washington: Russia will not accept military action against Iran

www.reuters.com

Putin, who has said he has seen no evidence that Tehran's program has military aims, met Iranian leaders including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Iran's top cleric has final say on all state matters including nuclear policy.

During the visit, Putin made clear to Washington that Russia would not accept military action against Iran and he invited Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Moscow for talks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   
See how Putin did what Bush didnt dare to do? He went to Iran this Tuesday to talk with the Iranian leaders. He also invited Ahmadinejad to Moscow for future talks.

Im glad to see Russia backing up Iran, and it looks like China will also be backing Iran because of the oil. China is the second largest importer of oil from Iran and a traditional friend.

So will US attack Iran despite the other two superpowers backing it? Hopefully not.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Who wants to bet that they will do it anyway? Russia will not attack the US in response but will seriously think of making a real military alliance with China and making a more agressive stance against the US and may be think of world war 3 as a real possibility to stop the threat from NATO. China and Russia don't see war as a thing they must avoid at any price. They think that sometimes, war is inevitable and must be fought to survive on the long term. It may cost 300 millions chinese, but the war will be won... just like Russia's WW2 strategy.

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
WHEN the US attacks "itself" Russia will have no choice but to go along with it at least until the rubble settles. Once they find out the truth, Russia Can and Will attack us, no doubt about it.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I agree with DGtempe,Russia is not a country to screw with,USA has more to lose then they do,and the Russians are a proud people,don't think they throw out idle threats

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Im glad Russia and China will back Iran, therefore "when" Bush decides he wants to attack Iran (And he will) he has two other superpowers to watch out for, but i really dont think the puppet cares what happens because Bush just follows his orders, and if anything happens to the US he will be the most protected person on that continent.

When he decides to attack Iran i hope people of the US will step up and get that asshole out of office, for your own wellbeing.

apc

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
One can confidently ignore every report about what Moscow said to Washington or Washington said to Moscow. It's all for the musings of the public. The real discussions we know nothing about. We will not attack Iran without some sort of closed-door compromise with the Russians in place. Assuming we actually intend to attack at all.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
(i posted this in a similar thread and it kinda fits here so im pasting it in)

Ha! that is hilarious. Russia's military equipment is obsolete and at best a cardboard cutout. at its strongest the Russian military had technology that was 20 years old and lacking in spare parts. The country is struggling to feed itself and this idiot putin is just posing. deep inside, all Russians know that their military is a fake storefront. they need the world to think they are strong so the US wont invade them, please, if we were going to invade them we would have done it when they were on their knees after Regan got done with them. they are still a divided nation.

here, check this out. it was done by the Swedish Ministry of Defense and it states that Russia is 10 years away (as of 2005) from being any threat as a superpower...IF it can keep its government together. not only that but Russia has its own "Iraq" mess over in Chechnya, where it has been fighting for years.

www.foi.se...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Maybe you don't understand that Russia have enough nukes to blow up the US? In a strict conventional war yes the US would win, but in a normal war, including nuclear war, both would lose. And making the comparaison between Chechnya and Iraq is just silly.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Icybreeze-you do not have to be a "superpower"to have the amount of nukes that putin has.
Maybe the US can out do them in terms of navy,air force,missiles etc,but I would not say that Russia's nuclear deterrent is obsolete.
Maybe they feel that now the US is talking of using nukes in pre emptive attacks-then so can they.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
A resurgent Russia have just as much to lose as the US, if not more.

I find it hilarious that people regard the current US approach to Iran "neoconservative" and aggression on Bush and Cheneys part... You obviouslly dont understand the nature of the beast. Lets put the nuclear issue to the side. Despite Iran's recent victory in the "propaganda war", the world should know that this is a theocratic regime that is insistant on spreading their version of Islam upon the world.

Bush learnt his lesson from Iraq and has attempted to solve the current incompasse through econmic sanctions, of which, the Russians have obstructed to cause the US problems.

The Russians are trying to back the US into a corner over this, almost to challenge Bush with only one option (military action). Putin knows that the US global reputation is already tarnished from Iraq so further talk of military action will only further isolate the americans.

People will soon change their minds when they wake up under communist rule, where may i add, such a forum as ATS would not be tolertated. So lets have a little faith in our values and see through the rhetoric.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Does Russia even realistically have the ability to hit the US mainland with a rocket? And if so, would said rocket not just be destroyed by in route before it got here? To attack us on the ground Russia would need to move through Alaska and Canada to get to the mainland and like we wouldn't see that coming?

I believe that US interest in their neck of the woods and other countries surrounding them are very much in trouble though. Why would Russia be so against the defense shield system America wants to put in place for Europe if they didn't think that attacking Europe might be in their future?

I don't know, but it seems to me that more and more pieces are falling into place everyday and time keeps on ticking away........

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This should not be a surprise to anybody, neither when China join Russia sentiments against an attack on Iran by the US.

This is not about who got the biggest cojones or more nukes than who, is about our nation losing its grab on international foreign policies since our present administration is in power and decided to commit itself in a conflict that has left our nation looking like a fool worldwide.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by patrickbateman

Rubbish..The Russians and the Chinese, as well as the US have it in their best interests to keep the current balance in place...

To suggest Iran wishes to spread its version of Islam outside its border is inaccurate and not based in fact...Who started the Iraq/Iran war ? anyone ?

Thought not...

If the US is stupid enough to act against Iran...It will do so unilaterally...
There will be no support from Britain, no support from Australia...

And after its all said an done, allied forces will remove themselves from Afghanistan...

If this is what the US truly wants, go for it...All I do is pay for it in increased food costs due to transport..I dont own a car, so oil doesn't affect me directly...

And to suggest the members of ATS, wherever they may be in the world will wake up under communist rule if the dont support the Bush regime in simply insane...

It is not going to happen...

And the people on this site are going to see thru what you've posted like its glass..

In future, try a bit harder when posting along these lines, eh ?

As far as seeing things thru "your values" do you honestly believe "your values" represent those of more than 10% of the members of ATS ?

If you do, you are poorly mistaken...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I totally agree Marg. The problem is that even when the administration does attempt to solve a crisis credibly they are prone to criticism and cynicism due to past mistakes (the quagmire of Iraq). Which makes it a lose-lose situation.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
We have to remember that the conflict in Iraq affects every nation in one way or another, specially nations in the middle east.

I don't think that the middle eastern Nations will stand for another conflict brought by the US that its presence is already in the area.

I don't think either that US allies during the invasion of Iraq and now none existent will want to commit their nations to help expand the conflict already initiated in Iraq.

If our present administration or the next administration decides to go into Iran it will be all by itself.

Then we have China that is our banker and financier of our wars, will they back up US an keep buying our debt? Is many issues that people do not even think about it when it comes to wagging wars.

We also have the issue of how US will be able to support its military campaign if access to the area is denied by the nations that will turn their backs to our nation.

I don't think we have funding to buy our way in this time with incentives and attactive packages to countries like Pakistan and Turkey.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
-present administration is in power and decided to commit itself in a conflict that has left our nation looking like a fool worldwide.

well, fools...or crazy? either one it leaves the US as one to not be messed with. Kadaffi got the hint quickly and is now in his proper place. all this other rogue, mini nations with insane leaders will learn to follow suit or they will also learn the hard way as sadhaam did.

Remember what being touchy feely with everyone and a reduced military (Clinton Administration) got us. blown up embassies world wide, blown up navy ships, the first TWC bombing, and a feeling that we had a soft underbelly.
yeah but hey France loved us right?

i'd rather be respected than loved.

you eff with the bull you get the horns.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think the number daft posts on this thread is astounding!

Keep up the entertainment!

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
I think the number daft posts on this thread is astounding!

Keep up the entertainment!

Care to name and shame?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
^^
naww.. Where's the fun in that then?!

But I think your responses are quite interesting.. and plausible..
Then again who am I to judge?!

I just think a quick revision of Russia current(2007) strategic forces would change some minds here.
Russia's military projection capability into Iran(and the entire Central Asian Republics) is also something that on can quickly read up on.

They have more military cards to play in the region than many here give them credit for. If they actually play ALL and in what sequence is something that only they know and good analysts can speculate about!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join