It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zoroastrianism - Abrahamic faiths all flawed?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I agree that bigotry is one of the biggest issues with current religions. However, if you don't believe, are you to worry at all what they think of you? I don't go to church cos I got sick of hearing that I was a heathen since I had long hair and wore earrings. So what. Now I know more than them, and I believe they are mistaken, but they are too "high up" to listen to a heathen spouting the inadequacies of their chosen faith. Join with me in ignoring their stupidities and continuing our search for what IS real and true. Be a truth seeker, not a worried hate monger.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12SeVeN34
I agree that bigotry is one of the biggest issues with current religions. However, if you don't believe, are you to worry at all what they think of you? I don't go to church cos I got sick of hearing that I was a heathen since I had long hair and wore earrings. So what. Now I know more than them, and I believe they are mistaken, but they are too "high up" to listen to a heathen spouting the inadequacies of their chosen faith. Join with me in ignoring their stupidities and continuing our search for what IS real and true. Be a truth seeker, not a worried hate monger.

Well yeah I understand.

It's still really, really obnoxious though. It's hard to have a meaningful religious convo with some people if they believe I'm going to Hell. -__-;

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
My only advice is to not let yourself fall to their tactics. Bigotry is easy to fall into. When you think you are right, you might ignore information from other sources. Be ready to learn that you are wrong once in awhile.

Also, they think most of us will go to hell. Funny thing is, I think we're there now! Muuhahahahahahaha!

lol!

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It's not even about bigotry.

They can be talking about it in the nicest way possible, and it is still utterly obnoxious; in fact in some ways it is more obnoxious because then you'll look more foolish if you punch them in the face for their blind faith.

I sincerely believe Hell was completely fabricated by the Catholics and the Prophet Muhammad to give them "moral justification" to spread militarily.

And now despite the liberal society in the western world the Christians still believe in hell adapted to a more peaceful society so it becomes utterly incompatible.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I don't have time to look it all up right now, but off the top of my head (and since this is a thread about Zoroastrianism), the persecution of Christians under the Zoroastrians. I think it culminated at one point in the massacre of 90,000 Christians. As I said before, the Persian influence in this world didn't ALL result from peace, love and harmony. At one point, they controlled most of the known world.

[edit on 25-10-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

And what exactly makes you any closer to a true religon than anyone else we have already shown you specifically that christ did in fact teach about hell so how is this a catholic invention? But to be fair most Christians and Muslims can just as easily dismiss the belief in your Godess with little more than there is nothing in the historical record to show that any people believed in a solitary Godess until the modern age. And again there is no doubt that Christianity and Islam have had their share of wars but that hardly makes the idea of going to war because God told them to a new idea, hell in the OT the Jews did it quite a bit and pretty frequently going so far to claim God gave them a specific stretch of land. Please quit grinding your axe against other peoples religon, which it is very clear that this is all you are really doing anymore anyway and completely ignoring atrocieties and wars fought by other religons solely on the basis that they are ammeniable to you and your position. Their faith is no more invalid than yours. A more liberal and peacful society you have got to be joking.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm merely trying to disprove religions which I see as destructive to society and my own beliefs.

Are you daft? Seriously, stop bringing up things that have nothing to do with it.

It's really irritating me. I wish religions that believed in hell and conversion never existed.

I'm speaking from a secular standpoint.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I wish religions that believed in hell and conversion never existed.

So you wish Zoroastrianism never existed?

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

So because you view them destructive, gives you the right to prostylize? Because now that is what you are saying your intent is, to remove other peoples religon and replace it with something you like better. Now you have just put yourself personally on even footing with Christianity and Islam. Basically what you have just said put your religon in the same dumpster of those wish didn't exist. And sorry to say if you believe this society to be more liberal and peaceful from any standpoint is still a joke because all one needs do is look out the window and see it is just as harsh and cruel as it ever was.

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Jovi1]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

I wish religions that believed in hell and conversion never existed.

So you wish Zoroastrianism never existed?

It's almost dead anyway, who cares? It's no worry...but I still would prefer it, although I guess thats because I'm not sick of it.

But yeah it's low priority to destroy.

Originally posted by Jovi1
So because you view them destructive, gives you the right to prostylize? Because now that is what you are saying your intent is, to remove other peoples religon and replace it with something you like better. Now you have just put yourself personally on even footing with Christianity and Islam. Basically what you have just said put your religon in the same dumpster of those wish didn't exist. And sorry to say if you believe this society to be more liberal and peaceful from any standpoint is still a joke because all one needs do is look out the window and see it is just as harsh and cruel as it ever was.

Yeah pretty much.

Don't really care, I'm sick of tolerating their religions which I see as sexist, strict, and such. So yeah I guess I'm an extremist.

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It is always a great thing when you run across people whose primary complaint is the intolerence of others, yet practice the same intolerence themselves against those they do not agree with.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
It is always a great thing when you run across people whose primary complaint is the intolerence of others, yet practice the same intolerence themselves against those they do not agree with.

Actually I was thinking the same thing over the last several weeks. The OP wants respect and acceptance of his/her newly imagined spiritual belief but is unwilling to give the same to others...in fact this person actively seeks places on the board where he/she can attack others and their belief.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om

Men and women do have different gender roles. Can't you see this?

In a very light sense only.

Women give birth to children. Men don't.

Doesn't mean a woman cannot have a job and a man cannot raise children at home.

Unless you think that is sinful against god?

[edit on 10/19/2007 by Kacen]

I think everybody should be able to do whatever they want. On the other hand, we should not be forcing people to do what is against their instincts. Men and women not only have different anatomies, but typically have different psychologies as well. Of course there are people that are exceptions to the rule, and those people should be allowed to do as they please.

We have all seen contortionists that can bend their bodies in unusual ways, but if the typical person tried to bend their body like a contoritionist they would probably snap a tendon or break a bone. Similarly if the typical man or woman were forced too far outside the traditional gender roles, they would be unhappy. That is not to say their are gender "contortionists" among us like men who really want to stay at home and raise children or women who want to work in construction, but most of us are happy somewhere within the traditional gender rules.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Kacen,

Am I understanding you correctly? Do you believe that the Biblical accounts of events that predated Cyrus were concocted during the reign of Cyrus and melded with Zorastianism?

So, for example, the story of Abraham was concocted or altered during the time of Cyrus and was kept in the new form ever since?

Is that an accurate representation of your beliefs?

Eric

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

It's still really, really obnoxious though. It's hard to have a meaningful religious convo with some people if they believe I'm going to Hell. -__-;

Something you need to realize,Kacen, is that that is THEIR opinion... They have no say in the plan of God... Thank, God, for that!!

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

Funny thing is that out of ALL of the wars fought in the name of religion, (see below please) there is ALWAYS a political or material gain to be had.
I am inclined to think that religion has been used as an excuse for purely greedy actions every single time.

reply to post by Kacen

And as for you Kacen. I am a fellow pagan and I am sorry to say this but it really sounds like your just another femnazi pagan that came to paganism because you have a ax to grind with society (about gender roles), venerating the goddess yet forgetting the fact that there is a god and BOTH are key. Your signiture REEKS of it and your statments dangerously skirt reeking of it.

Yes gender roles in society are EXTREMELY screwed up. But it isn't because of this or that religion. This or that religion has those screwed up attributes because of society.

To say that is this or that is this or that religion's fault is ENTIRELY too simplistic and it IS letting the people at large, the ones that propagate these foolishnesses off the hook. Like I have been screaming at atheists. Blame the creator not the creation in a sense.

The afformentioned below area: and I will point out how atheists LOVE to say religious wars are fought over practically purely over religious differences

[edit on 30-10-2007 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I find the information about Zoroastrianism very enlightening.
I was raised as a fundamentalist Christian here in Houston, not the ecstatic form...more of the "intellectual" seminary-type studying from the codexes. The preacher was very skilled in Aramaic, Hebrew and konai Greek and I felt as a young man I had witnessed the truth about reality. That was severly shaken in ensuing years of trial/tribulation...I grew up and realized it was all a facade. What was interesting was some of the quips that were parlayed out of the Bible studies..."Religion is Satan's ace-trump" for instance. This preacher taught that all other forms of belief were inspired by Satan and that Christianity was not a religion, but a "relationship".
It is truly liberating to know that the truth is...."we are just here, period!" No divine plan, no angelic conflict..just our reason to guide us. As a conservative cum libertarian, I am disappointed that the Republican party is so dominated by religious zealots and the true litmus test has, instead of sticking to the tenets of the Constitution, become abortion. The preacher I mentioned above was a rarety...he said there is nothing biblically that states that abortion is a sin...even the Jews taught that until birth, no soul was attached.
I just wanted to inject my thoughts here as a personal witness to a conversion process from theism to reality.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
islam considers zoraster as one of theire prophets.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rtaylortitle

No you mean preach your gospel. (pretty sure I misspelled that eh its late)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
So ... (ahem) 4 years go by and not a single person points out that the three wise men who followed a star, so bright, that it could even be seen during the day, were followers of Zoroastrianism. They were looking for a King, and found him in a manger in Bethlehem.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join