It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dexter Series -- Jeff Lindsay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yes, it's true. Showtime's Dexter is books. The books came first.

I just found out about them over the weekend and went down to Barnes & Noble and got all three -- the third one having just come out this month.

the books are:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Dearly Devoted Dexter

Dexter in the Dark

The first two aren't huge books. They're really fast reads, so I finished them already and started the third, staying up too late because they're very difficult to put down.

The stories flow, in the manner of the best stories -- they flow like a Stephen King novel.

They're FUNNY. The show is funny, yes, but the books have these delightfully witty turns of phrase buried in the text like Easter eggs.

And if you think the show is surprising, the books are even better! I didn't think it was possible, but they are.

Having seen the show first, then read the books, I'm not as strict as I usually am with the TV plot sticking close to the novel version. I can see why they changed the story arc to make it work for a TV series.

But the books are deliciously dark and dreadful. The second novel walks the line of genius -- the killer that Dexter is after is more of an artist than the Ice Truck Killer. And he's not even really a killer. He's something much worse. And the dialog about it in Dexter's head is so twisted and hilarious. All I'm going to say about it is, "yodeling potato." When you read it in context, you'll no doubt have a burst of guilty laughter just as I did.

These books are phenomenal, and fresh. Very different from anything else I've ever read, from the wit to the premise.

If you're a fan of Dexter, do yourself a favor and read them.

If you haven't seen the show, read these anyway. The very idea of a serial killer-killing serial killer that works for the police is so unique that any crime or dark fantasy afficianado should not miss these.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I just finished the third book, which brings me up to the end of all the ones written so far.

Anybody that is looking for a good read and appreciates dark fantasy, crime, or serial killer biographies must read these books.

All I can say is WOW. The show is great, it really is, but the books blow the show away! I can barely wait for the fourth one to come out.

Get writing, Lindsay. Whatever will Debonair Dexter get up to next?

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
MM, I'm not really a fiction reader but I really enjoy these types of books. If your inclined to read a good true-crime book, give Profiles In Murder by Russell Vorpagel a read.
It centers around serial killers and how profilers dissect their crimes in order to track them down. I devoured it in like two sittings, its that good.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I LOVE the show,but I havent read any of the books

havent had alot of time,and got to buy them and aah ,well I will surely do that
whenever I get the chance,because I like to study serial killers,and well haha Dexter is not your usual serial killer,hes one of the good guys xD.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I wish i had the money to buy the books..but the bank want my morgage repayment credit fix.
Lovein Dexter!!!! And Michael C. Hall!!!

new topics

top topics

join