It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(SSSC) Roses for Robert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
number (3)

The sun is rising later everyday and it doesn't take long for it to clear the peak of the mountain. The desert flowers in all their glory sway, in the cool winds. A bite of cold in the air say's, it's time for long sleeve sweaters. However, October in the desert is a lot warmer then anywhere else. The chipmunks have yet to go into hibernation and the quail are still gathering food.
Nellie is busily hanging out the laundry, while Ralph slurps down another cup of coffee and reads the weekly newspaper. Nellie and Ralph retired here nine years ago, and neighbors are far and few in between. The desert sun has been kind to Nellie as her face has few wrinkles. Ralph is pushing eighty and his orneriness prevents him from getting a pacemaker. He must of drank tankers full of beer in his heyday, because his stomach is huge! We can set our clocks by Nellie and Ralphs daily routines. Ralphs loud gruff voice echoes across the valley. I don't think he ever bought a new battery for his hearing aid. Claims he doesn't need the damn thing anyway. Tomorrow, although it is Halloween Nellie and Ralph will visit the memorial of their only son. It is located just a few miles away at the local cemetery.. They always go there on every Wednesday to say a prayer and leave some flowers. A routine for them for the past 7 years. Their son was in a skiing accident and fell into a crevice on Mount Rainier. His body was never found.
"Whew! finally done with that... if electricity wasn't so darn expensive I'd use the dryer." said Nellie.
Ralph either doesn't hear her or chooses to ignore her. They've been married a long time and don't talk to each other much anymore. I guess you don't need too.... you just know one anothers needs, after all the years together. Nellie picks up her knitting to finish up a sweater she's making for Ralph. The day passes quickly and night falls. The moon is full and you can see the silhouette of an owl sitting on the fence outside.
"Hoot....hoot....hoot.!" Coyotes are Yapping in search of an elusive jackrabbit or two. Tomorrow is going to be a long day so Ralph and Nellie head towards the bedroom.
Ralph awakens at the crack of dawn gets up and fixes breakfast, like he has alway's done throughout the years. Today is different though, Nellie is a little melancholic. She makes the appearance she's eating for Ralphs sake, but ends up dumping most of her food. Ralph's alway's came across as a Rock of Gibraltar to hide the saddness from within, for the benefit of Nellie. The loss of a child is hard to understand, because parents are suppose to go first. Both are tired and feeling their old age today.
Nellie has a dozen roses and hand-n-hand they walk through the cemetery towards the building which honors their son. There's a maroon settee near their son's memorial space. Nellie places the roses in the urn and adds some fresh water. Ralph and Nellie sit on the settee holding hands and are silent. Their eyes are old, but one tear falls. They hear a voice...."Mom, Dad is that you? Can you hear me? I'm over here"
Nellie cries, "It's Robert! Ralph It's Robert!" Both get up off the settee and move towards the voice right near the roses. Again they hear the voice of their son Robert. " Mom, Dad I miss you two and want you to come with me." Ralph and Nellie are so happy and both speak, at the same time. "How do we do that son?"
A large Brilliant light appears spiraling around and around. "Mom, Dad do you see the light?, asks Robert.
Simultaneously they both speak, "Yes we do son." "Together step into the center of the light." responds Robert. Together hand-n-hand, step-by-step Ralph and Nellie enter the lighted vortex. They see Robert smiling and run to him. Any old aches or pains have vanished. All three hug, cry and laugh.. As they walk off into a green meadow filled with red roses....... and the most beautiful waterfall you've ever seen.
The small cottage were Ralph and Nellie once lived still has the halloween decorations up. The pumpkin's frown is now a smile....... and there's a strong feeling of love, within these walls.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Lovely sentiments in this story mountainstar.
Great job.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What a sweet Halloween love story. You have the nicest story in the contest so far. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
MountainStar..This one makes me want to cry tears of sadness at losing a child, but tears of joy at being re-united together.
Just beautiful.And I love roses....

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Thank-you AD.

Your story had the appropriate ending for 'One More Night'
but it made me bawl my eyes out.

I like to write, but I'll never be as good as you. You have a Natural Born talent.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Starred.

I only wish I could meet
those I've lost, as in your
story.

Well done,
Lex

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainStar

Great story!! That was worthy of a star on my end!! Keep up the good work my friend! You are a great writter with an keen sense of creative energy that flows threw you!!!

As I can relate with this story! This one really almost made me cry!! hehe but just a little misty is all..

[edit on 14-10-2007 by zysin5]

new topics

top topics

join