It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.MIX: 26 – What I Believe - Part 1

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

You must all be open to all the possibilities because as you all say there is no way we can prove or disprove anything at this point.

the problem with that is that the same applies to things i can make up. carl sagan illustrated this point with "The Dragon In My Garage"

some claims may be untestable, but that doesn't make their probability 50/50

Just because i say you have to believe in all possibilites does not mean i believe in a 50/50 scenario. without observational evidence it is impossible to calculate the odds of any scenario to any degree of certaincy.

This is to say that the 'A' typical God scenario may be a 0.01% possibility in my eyes whereas the Big bang theory or the universe always being may have higher odds... this is still only my opinion and thus i Must be open to them all if i am to remain objective on the topic.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

oh, alright. thank you for the clarification on that.

guess i was a bit too quick to make a conclusion, should have asked you what you thought first

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
What I believe.

I believe it’s important to occasionally sit down and take stock in the things you believe in. Sure, its easy to list off the things you don’t believe or have discarded because your journey has taught you better, still, it’s often hard to actually list off the things that you do believe. I learned this in a fellowship discussion group long ago. Since then I’ve had to occasionally sit down and put on paper the things that have been bouncing around inside my head.

I start with the last list I made and remove the things I’ve learned to be, well, not wrong but no longer applying to me. Then I add what I’ve learned over the time since I wrote it and go from there.

It makes things allot easier when I’m asked about my beliefs as well. Rather than having to go into a drawn out explanation I can hand them the latest list. I highly recommend this to everyone as well.

Matter of fact, I have learned that its thru the sharing and caring we have in each others lives that we are best able to grow.

Now:

I believe that before man, before the Earth, before the beginning of time, the truth existed, it’s the only thing that has never changed. It’s the only thing that has never needed to change.

I believe that unconditional love is the greatest gift you can give to this world, And to yourself.

I believe that the path someone walks does not make him or her holy. They must make the path holy regardless of the path they have chosen.

I believe that if you can’t see god in everything, than you can’t see god in anything.

I believe that there is only one race, the human race, and we’re all in it together, whether we like it or not.

I believe that forgiveness is not a gift to the person that wronged you; Forgiveness is a gift to yourself so that you may go on with your life in peace.

I believe that even though we express ourselves individually our spirits are all a part of the same being, the one who created all things. E Pluribus Unum, Out of many (people) One (spirit).

I believe that my true reflection will never be seen in a mirror before me, but in the eyes and hearts of the people I share my life with.

I believe that each of us has only one true gift we can give to this world, the gift of ourselves. Everything else will fall away

I believe that political power in the hands of religion has always, always, led to tyranny. I also believe that political power in the hands of religion will always lead to tyranny.

I believe that I have yet to meet a person who could not teach me something, if I will only pay attention.

I believe that every religion or designated path is in itself a cult, for no other reason than it narrows your mind from the broader realities.

I believe that your soul is as unique as the fingerprints on your hand. No one knows what you have learned and of the journey which brought you here. No one that is, except you. That’s why it’s important to share.

I believe that hugs make kids grow. (And they’re not bad for adults either)

I believe that though I am but a drop in the ocean, I am still the ocean. So are you.

I believe that if your heart is at peace with the life your living and your soul is at peace with your creator, who ever you consider that creator to be, than everything else is just icing on the cake.

I believe that hate is a poison to the soul of the person that is doing the hating.

I believe that all who teach us leave a part of their soul in ours.

I believe that in our darkest and most personally damned moments there is a light shining brightly to guide us, and we never realize that till long years have given us perspective.

I believe that your life is a reflection of your perspective on it. If you go around seeing things as being terrible then they inherently will be.

I believe that I have much to learn, and I know I will enjoy every moment of learning it.

I also believe I have a podcast on this somewhere, In case you want to hear it in my own words.

Love and light to each of you,

wupy

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
WooHooo! This time it was only a double post.

If I ever figure out why I constantly get double and triple posts, I'll stop it and post more often.

I'm sure the staff consider that a threat

Love you guys,

wupy

[edit on 11-10-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This was really great! Good to hear your voices! Glad I got to listen to it! Good job!

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Major, just want to say good on you - I too have always taken the stance to never lie to my children, either. I have always told them the truth and been completely honest about my own beliefs (and non-beliefs, as it were).

We celebrate christmas and easter along with the rest of our community, but we use them as an opportunity to discuss the history that preceded these occasions - what fragments of evolving belief systems usurped certain dates and so forth. We celebrate togetherness and learning and an opportunity to DENY IGNORANCE.

At about the age of 8, my daughter expressed some disappointment that I was not the kind of mum that fostered a sense of mystery and magic about these occasions (like her best friend's mum) and l did feel a bit sad about that and questioned whether l had taken the wrong approach. I'm glad now that l stuck to my guns, because now that her best friend's mum has started telling her daughter that she's getting too old to believe in the Tooth Fairy, my daughter's in fits of giggles while l flit about pretending to BE the fairy, trying to steal her tooth for my garden

I teach my kids the best lessons from what each of the religions have to offer, but not under the threat of a vengeful god - out of a healthy respect for their fellow human and out of common decency and sense.

Major, really respected and agreed with everything you had to say.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join