It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under pressure...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under pressure
Under pressure
Pressure

I see it in this subfora, up above in ATS, in other forums. It appears that cracks are starting to show. Are the 'neo-atheists' really having such a big effect? Or is it more?

Myself, I think it's more complicated, and that another factor is important. One strain of Xianity is causing your faith issues, the meddling in politics, the lies, hypocrisy, attempting to 'reconstruct' society in their image (eeek!).

The data is in, attitudes are a-changing:

The study shows that 16- to 29-year-olds exhibit a greater degree of criticism toward Christianity than did previous generations when they were at the same stage of life. In fact, in just a decade, many of the Barna measures of the Christian image have shifted substantially downward, fueled in part by a growing sense of disengagement and disillusionment among young people. For instance, a decade ago the vast majority of Americans outside the Christian faith, including young people, felt favorably toward Christianity's role in society. Currently, however, just 16% of non-Christians in their late teens and twenties said they have a "good impression" of Christianity.

The study explored twenty specific images related to Christianity, including ten favorable and ten unfavorable perceptions. Among young non-Christians, nine out of the top 12 perceptions were negative. Common negative perceptions include that present-day Christianity is judgmental (87%), hypocritical (85%), old-fashioned (78%), and too involved in politics (75%) - representing large proportions of young outsiders who attach these negative labels to Christians. The most common favorable perceptions were that Christianity teaches the same basic ideas as other religions (82%), has good values and principles (76%), is friendly (71%), and is a faith they respect (55%).

linky-dink

These guys are not doing your faith any favours.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I'm not at all that surprised...
hmm don't know what else to say, maybe if they stop trying to convert everyone, then they might have a better image.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
this seems to be more of a cultural progression than the product of the works of a few brave individuals.

it's probably more likely that the "neo-atheist" works are a product of the same process instead of a cause of it.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
this seems to be more of a cultural progression than the product of the works of a few brave individuals.

it's probably more likely that the "neo-atheist" works are a product of the same process instead of a cause of it.

Aye, that's exactly what I think.

The neo-atheists (Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens) are feeding off a change in attitiudes and society. Which is then hopefully going to feed back into society.

But have you noticed that a lot of christians/faithful seem unable to see this? The blame seems to be laid at the feet of the new voices in atheism - or as some like to call them, the 'militant' atheists, heh. Silence them, and everything will be rosy again.

Even the other day, Karen Armstrong, who calls herself a 'freelance' monotheist, and who I did have some respect for, all but blamed Dawkins for islamic funniementalism. So far off the mark.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Aha. This explains a lot of the hostility and what comes across as rage and hysteria in some of the threads, that I see directed at nonbelievers.

All my life, I've been so far ahead of a trend that I seem like I'm behind the times. I'll take something up, be looked at strangely for five, ten or twenty years, then suddenly, everybody thinks it's "cool" and I've moved on to something else.

Perhaps our culture is evolving away from the god meme. Only time will tell.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

You think you're sooo coool don't you. Haha im just kidding.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Only if being so far ahead of my time I look like an ubergeek counts as being cool.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

melatonin - of course there will be more critical attitudes as people become less judgemental and more accepting of others as a worldwide trend due to many factors including accessible travel; homogenous and universally dumb media broadcast worldwide ... However, the rage from believers of all hues comes from an insult to their sense of 'self' or ego. If a person judges their soul/self/ego to consist of their faith, job, home life and interests, then you cannot fail to offend their whole sense of worth by attacking their faith.

However, if a person can rationalise their faith and stand on a slightly separate platform, it is really amusing how neo atheists also get worked up when THEIR own sense of atheism is under attack.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

The study shows that 16- to 29-year-olds exhibit a greater degree of criticism toward Christianity than did previous generations when they were at the same stage of life.

linky-dink

[edit on 5-10-2007 by melatonin]

I could not help but think of these lines spoken by Miranda in Shakespeare's play The Tempest:

O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!

Our world is changing toward modern ideas. People are beginning to think for themselves. Now if only they can apply this power toward constructive ends, say helping the environment or stopping global warming.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
it is really amusing how neo atheists also get worked up when THEIR own sense of atheism is under attack.

I've yet to feel having my own sense of atheism attacked since I fell into that category. It's pretty hard to attack the lack of belief. I don't feel that atheism is a defining part of me like it appears to be for faith-dudes.

I feel more worked up when people denigrate scientists, heh.

top topics

join