It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLB Playoffs '07

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
We had a pretty nice thread last year, so let's do it again. Last regular season game is today.

Who's rooting for who?

Mets....what happened there? :shk:

Yankees! 14 games behind and came back for the wild card Go Yankees!

Who else? Philly? They are doing alright, Brewers? Don't follow the National League as much, but it's real close up to today.

Oh yeah. Red Soxs. They're in too

[edit on 30/9/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
WHAT HAPPENED METS???

I just got done ranting in another thread I started. Blowing a 7 game lead that late in the season is just horrible.
:bnghd::w:

Just horrible!

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah. Crazy

I would have love to seen them in the Playoffs. Oh well...

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Well, I have to admit that I haven't followed the last of the season as closely as I should have. But with the post-season upon us, my focus is being reclaimed. With the NHL season beginning, and my Packers 4-0, baseball has been on the back burner.

AL Match Ups

• Boston vs. Anaheim

I am assuming that the Bo-Sox will go through this series with little trouble. With any sort of consistency from their starters, their bullpen works to their potential, and the bats that they've come to love all season keep up their production, this should be a no brainer. The Angels have a tendency of surprising teams, considering their improbable World Series title a few years ago.

Either way, I'm taking the Sox here.

• New York vs. Cleveland

I want the tribe to win. I really do. Looking at their individual season records, I would even give the Tribe a bit of an edge here. But considering how hot the Yankees are, and their head to head record over the course of the regular season, I think we are destined for another Yankees/Red Sox ALCS. Which isn't a bad thing.

If I am going to be wrong in either of my ALDS selections, I would expect the Tribe to upend the Yankees before the Angels take the Red Sox down.

All eyes are on you A-Rod.

National League

• Chicago vs. Arizona

Not much to say on this one. If Steve Bartman can stay out of Wrigley, I think the Cubbies will take this series. Some solid pitching, good defense, and consistent hitting, I'm hoping that the Cubs are the team to beat in the NL. But then again, Arizona, just as Anaheim, has a tendency of coming out of nowhere.

• Philadelphia vs. ?

Whomever wins the wild card, Padres or Rockies, I think the Phillies will take this series. One through five, they've got some of the strongest bats in the league. Rollins, Rowand, Howard, Utley, Burrell, it can be scary at times. The resurgence of Willy Mo Pena has not hurt either. Last season, the players voted Pena the player in the league who gets the least, out of the most.

Good to see that talent finally going to use.

I'm rooting for the Rockies to take the wild card, and I would love to see them take down the Phillies. But I'm projecting a Phillies/Cubs NLCS.

(This could be Philly's year)

[edit on 30-9-2007 by chissler]

• posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:14 AM
    link   
    The Nation is still accepting new members. Hop on the bandwagon now before the playoffs began.

After Francona and company win another World Series Red Sox Nation will have complete control of the Northern Hempshire. We have already conquered your home ballparks. There is no point in fighting it.

With a young great pitching staff already lined up for next year of Beckett, Dice-K, Lester, and Buchholz we should be set to take on the N.W.O for world domination.

Join now before its too late.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:56 PM
    link   
    2007 MLB PLAYOFFS

AL

a. Yankees v Cleveland - advantage 'kees since they got more bats and a seemingly better staff. I know, Rocket is washed up and Moose is difficult to trust. But Wang is a great starter and JOBA should do well once he gets past the playoff excitement. Yanks in 4 or 5

b. Sox v Angels - advantage? Maybe Angels for the homefield but this one will be close. Both have decent pitching (Beckett is a little overrated like Peavy) and bats. Manny has been hurt and Ortiz is, as usual, killing the ball. Chone has been slumping and always beware of Vlad. No idea on winner, maybe Angels in 5

NL

a. Phils v Rockies - advantage? Can't pick that since they're pretty evenly matched, CO has the season series lead by 3 games. Helton and Holliday are like automatic hits. Fighting Phils? What a season aside from the Metsies collapse. In my opinion, JROLL is mvp. Utley, Ryan Howard, Hamels on DL second half a little, they're all back and think Phils should win this in 4 or 5

b. Cubs v DBacks - advantage Cubs. Dbacks are young, going w/ more of their farm season was their plan this season and worked since they won the division, B Webb is a good starter but who else they got? Cubbies got Alphie Soriano and Zambrano. Pinella is a great manager, see the Cubs (!) winning this one in 5 // / /

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 05:58 PM
    link   
    testrad don't get ahead of yrself remember what happened to the SOX the last two season?!!? HA! chone and vlad will walk all over them in fenway

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 02:30 AM
    link   
    I see how my Rockies get no love nationally and understandbly so, no one has watch them play this year.

Rockies have the best offensive line up in the Major Leagues period, look at the stats of those guys from 1 to 6, may be the Yankees have a better line up on paper, but this guys bring it everyday. I was there on Monday for the tiebreaker game and its like everyone knew that they were going to come through.

Now to business, as much as I like the Yankees, pitching is too shaky and the bullpen is horrendus, you need pitching specially in a short series IMO and Yankees starters don't last more than 6 except Wang, Cleveland wins, unless Yanks bats go off.

Boston has the pitching and offense to win it all, in a short series anything can happen, but Boston should beat Anaheim.

D-Backs are just to reliant on their pitching and is not like their pitching is that good, meaning if the other team puts more that 3 runs they going to have a hard time wining, Cubs are more well balanced, this is going to be a strong one, I think D-Backs in 5.

And my Rockies, let's see, both teams are pretty much the same, average pitching, good offense, lots of runs are going to be scored on this one and right now I take my Rockies bats against any other team anyday right know, besides they been playing win and in or lose and out games for pretty much 2 weeks already so that should give some confidence to the pitching. Rockies in 4.

Good luck to anyone that has a team in.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 11:46 AM
    link   
    I want the Rockies to win it all because - well - they're the Rockies..

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:26 PM
    link   

Originally posted by chissler
    The resurgence of Willy Mo Pena has not hurt either. Last season, the players voted Pena the player in the league who gets the least, out of the most.

Isn't Willy Mo on the Nationals?

JbT

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:29 PM
    link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
    We had a pretty nice thread last year, so let's do it again. Last regular season game is today.

Who's rooting for who?

Mets....what happened there? :shk:

Yankees! 14 games behind and came back for the wild card Go Yankees!

Who else? Philly? They are doing alright, Brewers? Don't follow the National League as much, but it's real close up to today.

Oh yeah. Red Soxs. They're in too
    [edit on 30/9/2007 by enjoies05]

Myself, Im watching as much of Arizona that I can. Really like what they have going on over there in the dersert. Good pictching, great young talent (Chris Young. Justin Upton + Others), and of course Eric Byrnes - which is always bonus points for coolness.

Mets... I didnt watch much of them this year, but ouch, I could see a cleaning of house next year. Delgados getting old, Glavine is old, ect.

Yankees... Man, I hate that team
    . See, Im a Bluejay fan and its always either the yanks or the sox kicking the # out of my team. Hate them, same with the sox.

I really hope for the Cubs too. Would love to watch history be writen with a little more flavor if the Cubs could win it all. Its been what, like 90+ years? Would be a good story,

JbT

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:38 PM
    link   

Originally posted by testrat

Originally posted by chissler
    The resurgence of Willy Mo Pena has not hurt either. Last season, the players voted Pena the player in the league who gets the least, out of the most.

Isn't Willy Mo on the Nationals?

Belive so.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:35 PM
    link   
    after june the mets were a sub .500 team. The phils got in by the numbers. It was a season long collapse.

I see the ALCS as Cleveland vs Boston not sure who will win. NLCS Arizona vs Colorado. not sure who will win. I think that all the expansion teams will win a title before the Cubs...

JbT

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:33 AM
    link   

Originally posted by acegotflows
    I think that all the expansion teams will win a title before the Cubs...

Would that not be something...Even the Jays have won a couple.

I like your picks too.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:28 PM
    link   

Originally posted by arktkchr

2007 MLB PLAYOFFS

AL

a. Yankees v Cleveland - advantage 'kees since they got more bats and a seemingly better staff. I know, Rocket is washed up and Moose is difficult to trust. But Wang is a great starter and JOBA should do well once he gets past the playoff excitement. Yanks in 4 or 5

Well let's see here, yesterday it seemed like the Yankees bats were silent except for Johnny Damon's considering he did bust out the whoopin' stick in the first inning with that solo shot. The Tribe just had the better day offensively than what the Yankees did. Seemed to me that ol' C. C. Sabathia was just on fire yesterday with his pitch control.

As for the National League so far, what has gotten into those Colorado Rockies of late? I mean they have realled off sixteen out of their last seventeen games including the two to nothing series lead the have over the N.L. East Champion Phillies. The Rockies, as of right now, are the most dangerous team in the National League, if not all of baseball.

And the Rockies are the N.L. Wild Card? Ya'll remembered what happened in 2003 when the Florida Marlins started out as bad as they did and what they did in the postseason?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:55 PM
    link   
    since the Dbacks in 01, every team that's won the series has been wildcard. Just who gets hot.

Yanks look done, So do the Cubs and the Phillies...

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 12:35 AM
    link   
    Wow, Yankees are an enigma IMO, how you have a line up like that and just manage to put 3 hits in 11 innnings. Is not only A-ROD struggling is the hole team, but the Indians deserve the credit, anytime you come back to back with guys to throw in the middle and upper 90's with command you going to get good results specially in a short series. The Yankees are getting what they deserved for not having good pitching and they are finding that out for the last couples of years. Is like none one is afraid of their pitching.

Enough about da' Yankees, how about my Colorado Rockies??, we still one away, but still, 2 games in Philly?! This guys can hit thats for sure and whoever think that Matt Holliday and Tulo dont deserve the MVP and ROTY are just nuts. I expect Jimenez to do good against the slow bats of Rollins and Howard, this guy throws in the upper 90's and if has command of his offspeed stuff the Phillies are pretty much done.

Lou put the Cubs in a bad spot, but hey?! In all honesty they should not be playing in the postseason anyways. Anyone keeps talking about how he pull Zambrano early in game one, Im surprised that no one talks about why in the world he did not put Zambrano to bunt an inning earlier with runners in first and second no outs and a tied ballgame. That was just nuts. This are playoffs, play it safe and simple, specially when the other pitcher is not giving you any chances. Joe Torre did the same thing in the first game against Cleveland before the game was blown open and he had the same result, instead of having Jeter to bunt he let him bat, all those guys are struggling!!!, play it safe.

Boston is just being Boston, over the top pitching, over the top offense and is not like Anaheim is a bad team, is that Boston is just that GOOD period.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:30 AM
    link   
    Oh man my Rockies on the NLCS, when the season began I would had been happy with them finishing over .500, of course now I want more and we are in a position to do that.

Rockies vs. Arizona

Arizona can beat you in many ways but their strenght is their pitching, they just have one solid starter in Brandon Webb, he has been hit pretty bad by the Rockies during the season but in his last start against them a week ago were they clinch the division he was phenomenal, Livan is good but his stuff has diminish and against the Rockies bats he would have trouble, the other pitchers are average and my boys are good against the best but even better against average guys.

Giving the anemic offense that Arizona has the good defense that the Rockies have and the really good bats that my Rockies have, I will take the Rockies to win in 6 and Yes, Rockies are going to the World Series.

GO ROXS!

[edit on 7-10-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 10:09 AM
    link   
    I think its the rockies year.. first off, I'm a Met fan so I am def glad to see The Phillies go after Rollins talking up a storm before the season.

I think Colorado has a great shot.. their offense is sick!! Tulowitski, Atkins, Holiday, Helton, and Hawpe... they are gonna score some runs.

Hopefully the Yankees get eliminated this series so I don't have to listen to Yankee fans next year!

top topics

join