It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superbolide over Finland 28.9.2007 9.39PM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Finnish newspapers reported today about a Superbolide seen over almost all parts of Finland except the southern and northern parts.

www.avaruus.fi... has written articles about it in finnish. They mention that the eye-witness reports received has exceeded the earlier records in less than 24 hours and more is coming. They are still wishing more reports, so they can trace all possible meteorites better.

The website provides 2 videos by Jarmo Moilanen. The 2nd clip has 2 disc-shaped looking objects descending for a moment. probably someone with more experience can explain what they are, as they could be reflections,fireballs.. or something I guess..

[edit on 30-9-2007 by inthemistandfog]

[edit on 30-9-2007 by inthemistandfog]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Those 2 disk looking things are there prior to the flash of light. I was able to go second by second as the flash occurs at 0:00:01.08. Here is a picture taken at 0:00:01.07.

[edit on 30/9/07 by Rhain]

[edit on 30/9/07 by Rhain]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This is interesting... thanks for posting. Im going to try and find out more. Unfortunately babelfish the translator doesnt seem to handle finnish...

A superbolide is apparently a meteor brighter than -17 magnitude(*). Superbolides roughly corresponds to cosmic bodies with dimensions of some metres and more. They are small asteroids or comets exploding in the Earth's atmosphere.

When looking at the second video with the two objects, they are going in a downwards direction until the flash comes, then sit at the same position in the sky after the flash. Interesting. It could be a optical illusion or something though since both objects move in exactly the same manner.

[edit on 30-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
avaruus.fi has been updated once again. They have put up a map describing where they expect meteorites to be They mention them being most likely small rocks, which you might luckily find from your backyard. Usually meteorites are not found in Finland due to difficult terrain.

Unexpectedly maybe, they are not talking about the 2 disc shapes. The closest they mention is "Tulipallo kulkee oikeanpuolimmaisen videon kuvakentän oikealta puolelta." which means: "A fireball moves at the rightside of the rightside pictures visual area." So it is not visible there, but might be rather close to those 2 disc shapes.

There could be something interesting to translate in the article, but these are what I thought to be most interesting points.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If translation is needed i can help with it. Private message me or just post what you want translated.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I have the english translation from space weather.com.

www.yle.fi...

100x's brighter than the moon must have been very impressive indeed.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
As from that video it is seen that it was really bright. I am really sad that i was not in Finland to see it. When it is dark and something flash so bright it feel's strange. I once saw that kind of flash durnig a thunderstorm in very dark night. All you see is white light for some second's after. This one was -20magnitude brightness..
That would be 1000Times brighter than full moon

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Now might be fun time to go and look for it, dont they fetch a nice price someplace?

top topics

join