It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for die hard seti searchers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Can you run the comand line seti and the web page seti at the same time with different WU's.

Why I ask is that if you can.. wouldn't that double the WU output??

Has anyone tried this?

Chris

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzChris
Can you run the comand line seti and the web page seti at the same time with different WU's.

Why I ask is that if you can.. wouldn't that double the WU output??

Has anyone tried this?

Chris

Hi Chris!!

Pleaae have a look at this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... which *might* help answwer your question?

I use the client here but others use the command line - successfully - whatever, just so long as we get those wU's crunched, eh?

xn

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
no. I tried this a while ago. I was processing 2 workunits at once, but each client was twice as slow. In terms of time to process each workunit would double, but in the end you'll get the same amount done.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn
no. I tried this a while ago. I was processing 2 workunits at once, but each client was twice as slow. In terms of time to process each workunit would double, but in the end you'll get the same amount done.

Thanx for the details xn - it always seemed too good to be true (that you could get *more* from the same CPU).

I understand the command line version is faster, as there are no graphics involved, but it all seems rather awkward to set up: the last programming I did was with machine code in the mid-70's - and some Basic in the 80's!! Nowadays, I let others have the head aches!!

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xn

I actuall did some math on the processing of WUs with the command line version and mutlple WUs.
In plain English what I found was that is it takes you 4 hours to complete 1 WU by it's self but it only takes 6 hours to process 2 WUs. Cuts 2 hours from the bottom line. However the percentage goes doww from there

I still think it is work working on multiple WUs. As far as using the command line and the screensaver. who knows how it will efffect the perfomance of each and your computer. Let us know if you try I'm interested int he outcome

join