It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese journalist gunned down by Burmese Troops!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Japanese journalist gunned down by Burmese Troops!

www.thisisl ondon.co.uk

These are the shocking images from Burma of a Japanese journalists as he lay dying after soldiers opened fire on thousands of anti-government protesters.

Kenji Nagai held his camera above his head to continue taking photos even as a soldier pointed a gun at his chest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.usatoday.com
www.nieuwsbank.nl

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Burma & Shan State Watch List
Let's Give Burma Monks A Round Of Applause !
The Companies They Keep in Burma

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I am not sure if this has been posted before but here are photos of a Japanese photographer being gunned down by Burmese Troops..

Ironically Kenji's death may have had some significance as his photo has been splashed on major Indian newspaper front pages.
If there is enough public support for a definitive government action here, then the government here will be forced to do something.

I doubt India can send troops into Burma due to the proximity of China, but
The ame goes for any western led coalition here.
Although I definitely see a UN peacekeeping role here, unless the chinese veto it.

Then its upto unilateral action! But who?!! ASEAN? Australia? Japan?
Do they have the logistics and will to take on Bruma(China)?
The energy prospects here are ruining it all here as well.

I hope India takes an honest-to-god moral stand here. Maybe send in a CSG just off the Burmese coast to put some pressure!
Anything to take troop concentrations off those protestors and innocent bystanders!!! Anything!!!
I hope they do something! This has 'Tiannemen' written all over it!

www.thisisl ondon.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Photo resized

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Nobody has to do anything. I saw a letter allegedly written some soldiers or officers in Burma's military which indicates that some are choosing to side with the protestors. If the dissent continues, the Burmese military may very well realize that the junta has no popular support and overthrow it. No foreign intervention would be required.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Although I definitely see a UN peacekeeping role here, unless the chinese veto it.

I don't think the Chinese nor the Russians have any interest in allowing a Security Council resolution with any teeth to it regarding this. If any action ever happens, it'll probably be another "coalition of the willing."

The best thing would be for uberarcanist to be right and have the military regime collapse without outside intervention.

[edit on 9/27/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
i saw a glimpse of that on the news yester day...and didnt take notice...

it said that the japanese photographers photos were on a newspaper....does anyone have a link to that....or have the pictures??

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The Burmese troops are also native Burma people. But they seem not to think very much or are just to coward to kill the officer who orders to shoot their own countrymen

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If you'd like to see a photo of the Japanese journalist killed:

ca.news.yahoo.com...

May he rest in peace and my condolences to his loved ones. Hopefully his sacrifice will not go in vain.

It seems that he had his hands up as a sign of surrender and he was still shot at point blank range.
Its not as if he was accidentally hit by a stray bullet that was being spray fired to disperse crowds.

HE WAS INTENTIONALLY SINGLED OUT AND GUNNED DOWN!

:down:

Despicable!
What can the world do?
We need UN intervention, and if China vetoes then we need regional unilateral action.

I fear that any internal revolt will just leave a power vaccum that Su Chi etc will not be able to fill.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Infact I believe that the photo(of Mr Kenji Nagai being shot while he had most obviously surrendered) will become one of the vivid reminders of this bloody event.

Just like the photo of the man standing in front the convoy of tanks in 1989 has been imprinted in our minds as the gruesome reminder of the Tiannemen massacre.

Tiannenmen 1989:

Myanmar 2007:

Haunting actually

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
What a brave, brave man... May his death not be without result... Hopefully the world will stand up and take notice.

That's a really sickening photo and he was clearly surrendering.... Those cowards who shot him should be found and justice be granted.

R.I.P Kenji Nagai.

It's also good to know that some of the military are taking sides with the protestors.

Here's a blog on the issue.
blogs.globalgeopolitics.org...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
That's cruel. Yeah, the journalist with the camera, on the ground, with his hands up, I'm so sure was a threat to that soldier.

I applaud the Burmese people for what they're doing. I hope they succeed. Although I don't know much about them or their country, just from what I've seen in the last few days from this uprising, they deserve nothing less than a victory in this.

I don't want to see UN action. The UN gets it's nose in everything and screws it up. They'll end up designating Burma under their control. All a part of the plan.

So, I hope the Burmese people can do this on their own. It's a really good thing to see - not the people dying - but the people actually doing something, unlike in a certain country I know of where a certain president is taking away freedoms in the name of a certain war...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Shooting innocent people and targetting journalists? Nothing we haven't seen already (Israel). Did anybody do anything about that? NOPE. You can most likely expect the same here.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
A youtube video of the journalist being shot..
He seems to be flung off his feet by the weapons fire:

A brave man. I salute him!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
The UN gets it's nose in everything and screws it up.

hmm..
Are you absolutely sure of that?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by prona

Exactly. Governmental tyranny has been going on for a while now. When the massacre of Tlatelolco, Plaza de Las Culturas 1968, was happening, there was nobody that came in to help the students against the police state. If anything, the corrupt government next door pressured the Mexican government to get things under control. It provided the Mexican government with intelligence, resources, and "advice & training" for this situation. This massacre was for what? The same thing these Burmese people want. An accountable government that is there for the people.

Explicit Image

More Explicit Images

I don't mean to derail your thread but this just proves that the world, specially the developing world, is facing a common enemy and has been for decades.

[edit on 023030p://0215 by souls]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Another video of the guy getting shot here.

These guys are doing the real fight for democracy against their government. This is what it takes.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
That soldier is just walking around in his sandals shooting people with an AK. Wtf! He's way too comfortable, someone needs to knock him over the head!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
you gave me a picture of the photographer.....i'm sorry i wasnt clear....i thought they had pictures from his camera....that's what i was looking to see....but thanks for trying to help...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yeah, this has been on the news here pretty much non-stop since last night and its really quite sickening to see a person murder another human being in cold blood like that.

And the Burmese gov't still claims he was taken down by a stray bullet? Please...
Nagai-san was knocked off his feet by the first shot and if you look closely, it almost looks like he was shot again when on the ground w/ his hands up.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Another video of the guy getting shot here.

These guys are doing the real fight for democracy against their government. This is what it takes.

Couldn't agree more. Yes my friend this is what it takes. You either die trying or you live forever head down. You want democracy and freedom? That's the way !!! Can't happen by watching TV, eating at Mc Donald or chewiing gum and discusing how your own government is taking away basic freedoms. Maybe is a lesson american people should start learning before is to late.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Exactly what I thought the government would say..
'Stray bullet' it seems!

The killed him I tell you..

But the sad story continues.. Japan has said that it will not press sanctions(yet).
Western countries cannot do much in terms of sanctions(except for an oil company here or there) because Burma has already been slapped all the sanctions it possibly can get from the west.

China won't budge.. They will not overthrow a nice little puppet regime that is CRITICAL to their eyes-n-ears in the 'South Asian - South East Asian' region.

India will not do much since it NEEDS to limit the Chinese influence in Burma thus limiting the Chinese ambitions in the region.

India cannot take unilateral military action that results in partial occupation and regime change because:

1. while India has the logistical ability to do so, it lacks the political will and confidence. The IPKF(Indian Peacekeeping Force)debacle in Sri Lanka not so long ago has made India wary of interfering with others' affairs by using force.
  2. China's response to this would be extremely unpredictable and dangerous. China might co-ordinate extremely forward troop deployments with Pakistan to pressurize India; thus putting India in a very very tricky(even strategically dire) situation. Imagine a Russia like force in Canada and Mexico that deploys troops on the US borders when the US goes to war in Iraq. It would be extremely crappy for the US to say the least.
  3. If India becomes the regional police force, then all the other itsy-bitsy nations around India will become wary of India rather than warm up to her. Nations like Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Bangladesh etc may actively look to ally with entities that prevent India from interfering with their own 'internal' issues; something each of these nations has plenty of...

So as you can see, besides moral support and strongly pushing a UN resolution for peacekeeping, India cannot do much!

And I truely do not see this revolt ending in a submission to democracy..
what democracy? who's democracy?
Who will be the interim govt?
there is no plan here..
Su Chi's party does not have the logistical capability to just step in and take hold of the reins.. even if the military junta do decide to miraculously disappear!

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Daedalus3]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join