It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lake Havasu teen becomes sixth 2007 victim of brain-eating amoeba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I gather from the article this appears to have spiked big time this year in the US.

It seemed like a headache, nothing more. But when pain killers and a trip to the emergency room didn't fix Aaron Evans, the 14-year-old asked his dad if he was going to die.

What was bothering Aaron was an amoeba, a microscopic organism called Naegleria fowleri that attacks the body through the nasal cavity, quickly eating its way to the brain. The doctors said he probably picked it up a week before while swimming in the balmy shallows of Lake Havasu.
www.examiner.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kind of makes one wonder how many other lakes in the south have them??
Cases have been cnfirmed in FL, TX and AZ according to the article.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Lake Havasu is quite the recreational destination. This is going to kill the economy around there.

I've always been infatuated with the amoeba. Pound for pound it has to be the deadliest organism on earth.

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Cripes. Now we have to worry about summertime and the swimmin' hole, which used to be one of life's little pleasures.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
sigh....is there anything safe anymore?? where are all these things coming from?

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I was interested in this thread.
But for some reason the link to the full story is no longer working.
Could you update the link if possible?
Thanks.

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
*Sigh* right in my own backyard. read about this a couple months ago, I never really liked swimming in large warm lakes like Havasu. Cool running water is supposedly ok though, like spring-fed rivers and streams, which is better during the summer anyway. Arizona was never supposed to have large, still bodies of water, all of the lakes in this state are man-made, and in my opinion, kinda gross.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
www.medpagetoday.com...

Here we go again, now 3 cases.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

EPIDEMICS 'Brain-eating' amoeba kills 10 in Pakistan: officials

Here we go again, now 10 cases.

A killer amoeba living in lakes enters the body through the nose and attacks the brain where it feeds until you die. People die every year from it.

Authorities in Pakistan's largest city have launched an urgent investigation after a rare water-borne "brain-eating" amoeba killed 10 people in four months, officials said Tuesday.

I am not sure why there is no medicine to kill this amoeba when enters our body. Every Year people have been dying. It is very fearful that it spreads through water.

Source

top topics

join