It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum communication: atoms talk long distance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Quantum communication: atoms talk long distance

uk.reuters.com

U.S. physicists have coaxed tiny artificial atoms into communicating in an advance that may lead to super-fast quantum computers, the researchers said on Wednesday.
Quantum computers hold the promise of being enormously powerful, capable of solving in seconds problems that take today's fastest machines years to crack.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Previously they could only talk to each other if sitting next to each other (see article)

This is a huge leap in computing if true, just think of how much computers have advanced in 30 years?

in another 30 years the mind boggles .. beam me up scotty!!!!
now if the can just crack the power source (pesky batteries just so darn big) problem i think our future has unlimited potential.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to
i think this can be a major thing it could solve "globle warming" if it exists
post by Quantum_Squirrel

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If Global Warming Exists!?. It is scientific fact that global warming is real. The only reason there is a debate is because Republican lobbyists dont want any industrial regulations.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
mmmm, signal non locality... so its finaly thrust into the public eye. Good little piece of tech, oh and I cant wait for quantim computing... just think of what you will be able to do. With any luck the programs we have today will be no match for the power that these pcs will hold, but unfortunatly they will have to be rewriten for the new type of processers.

And KILO_ire where have you been the past few years? Im pretty sure its not a good thing to try and say that global warming isnt happening nods.

-fm

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
i don't think he meant if it is happening as a whole .. more like are we the ones responsible or is it a normal occurence of the planet?

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is a great thing to have discovered, and I hope it will continue to progress. It is just I remember people talking about advances toward quantum computing twenty years ago. Every now and then some one comes out and announces a discovery that says something about quantum computing is come closer. It just has not happened yet. I do hope I will be around if this ever does happen.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Also, interestingly enough, a couple of months back, New Scientist published an article on a working quatum cryptography system set up in Cambridge, Mass.

Link

Quantum cryptography guarantees secure communications by harnessing the quantum quirks of photons sent between users. Any attempt to intercept the photons will disturb their quantum state and raise the alarm.

But Elliott points out that even quantum cryptography "does not give you 100 per cent security". Although quantum keys are theoretically impossible to intercept without detection, implementing them in the real world presents hackers with several potential ways to listen in unobserved.

Even with its flaws, however, it would seem the future for communication is going to be quantum.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Quantum computing is gona be so cool!

The way I understand one aspect of it is you can have a massively powerful quantum computer any where in the world (universe?) and just take a small terminal with you where ever you go, not only would you have instant connectivity with the base computer - you would also have all the processing power and memory as they are essentially the same computer - could this be how skynet starts?? millions of computers connecting with each other is soooooo last century, lets just have one massive quantum computer that is everywhere all at once.... Omnipresent if you will, Oh god

top topics

join