It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy to mask Coronado's swastika-shaped barracks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Navy to mask Coronado's swastika-shaped barracks

www.latimes.com

CORONADO, Calif., -- The U.S. Navy has decided to spend as much as $600,000 for landscaping and architectural modifications to obscure the fact that one its building complexes looks like a swastika from the air.

The four L-shaped buildings, constructed in the late 1960s, are part of the amphibious base at Coronado and serve as barracks for Seabees.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
rawstory.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Google Earth Nazi Symbol shaped building in U.S
Nazi Shaped Structure on US navy Base!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Here's a Google Earth image which has come up on ATS a few times before. It seems that the negative publicity this has garnered, no matter how unintentional it may have been, has spurred the U.S. Navy into action.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I don't understand why people take such offense to things that 'look something like' a symbol which happened to be used by someone we don't like... It's lunacy.

Should we hate Israel, because their symbol looks something like the heathen star?

Should we abolish the works of Charlie Chaplin, because he had the same mustache as Adolph?

Or how about we remove all phallic objects from children's view such as baseball bats, or flashlights, because they resemble the shape of the male genitalia.

No, I think this is going too far.
They are 4 L-shaped buildings. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think it's time people started looking at things for what they are, and not for what they think they resemble.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I agree with johnsky here, I think this is stupid. Spend over half a million dollars on hiding the shape of some buildings from Google Earth? To me, it seems the layout was quite sensible given the building's location and use. It's certainly not meant to be a symbol of hate or anything.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Swastikas are in the news a lot lately. I wonder what's up?

Police Find Swastika Cut Into Acres Of N.J. Cornfield

Ram

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I disagree: I use to work in Arcitect firms... Arcitects know exavtly what the structures looks like from all angels.

There is no good reason to make a building complex as a swastika...It's unusual.

Either the arcitect was a nazi - or the arcitect was given instructions that it should look like that from top. No matter what - Somone agreed it had to look like that. Somone said - yes ! thats a good idea - and had no trouble with it.

This is done on - Sketches - blueprints - before the project was allowed.
- It's an army building - It's to obvious.

Somone said - yes!

apc

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Now that's funny. When designing that thing somebody somewhere at least had to have gone, "Wait..."

I can see if you wanted every room to have a window, needed four separate buildings, and were confined to one square block... eh.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Seems like a big waste of money to me.

I agree with Ram though, someone had to know that these buildings formed a swastika from the air.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Swastika's were used long before the nazi's made them infamous.
I dont think the navy should have to change anything.
So if someone used a picture of a cat,and commited war crimes and started a war,would we start covering up all pictures of cats?
This is just wasteful spending.
And anyone who thinks Swastikas were a nazi invention,should do some homework.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ongoing news discussion...

Here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join