It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian military wrote Karzai speech: opposition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Canadian military wrote Karzai speech: opposition

news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A speech that Afghan President Hamid Karzai delivered to Canada's Parliament a year ago, urging the country's continued military support, was nothing more than a "political stunt," written by Canadian defense ministry staff, an opposition party charged on Tuesday.

The Afghan embassy denied the allegation, calling it ludicrous and insulting.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Could this guy be a bigger puppet for the West? No wonder he has so little control over the country. If this is true it may totaly undermine his ability to lead Afganistan. His own people will oust him so fast it will make your head spin.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Oh it wouldnt surpise me in the least, I doubt he represents much of the Afgani civilian interests. Considering some of the articles I've read say that the countries rural population and land is controlled by tribal warlords (growing the poppy on land that was once farm land, and manufacturing the drugs that come out of that plant), I doubt this guy will ever be able to control his country. Whether or not he is ousted seems like a moot point to me, Western interests and their representative will just replace him with someone else with the same dedication to said interests.

The destruction and exploitation that Afganistan has seen in the last 40 years is a blemish on the world.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
From your link;

Documents that the New Democrats obtained through access to information legislation showed a team of military officials worked on the speech at the request of Karzai's office.

Documents?

Our military first gets slammed for not keeping track of prisoners handed over to the Afghans and yet now they might get rapped for being too quick to document.

Can't wait to see how this plays itself out.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Dunno FredT, seems Canada's NDP wants an emergency session on this according to
NDP MP Dawn Black comments: "...she plans to call for an emergency debate on the issue in the House of Commons when Parliament resumes next month.
She also said she will seek an investigation by the Commons defence committee into the military's communications campaign..."

www.ctv.ca...
___

Looney NDP rhetoric makes Reuters, that's the biggest part of this story as far as Canada's participation. As for Karzai's using Cdn Military points,
goodness!, what a bunch..is this where Canadian Politics is headed

eg you want our Soldiers to stay, let us help you by writing your speech.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
We have a strong Canadian group here at ATS and I love to hear more of thier take on it. Its pretty clear that alot of it IS political, but what was Karzi (or his handlers) thinking if this is really true?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I read in the paper today on my way to work that some afgan citizens are calling for the death of our country. Specifically the chants said "death to Canada"

The calls were heard after a joint (NATO, US, CA) taskforces led raids and arrested suspected insurgents.

Now i can certainly understand their rage in having their homes invaded and people they care about arrested, but it seems to me, they dont want us there. If Karzai's speech was written by the occupying forces, it seems plain to me he does not speak for his citizens, and his call for support was really a call from the joint military command and joint leaders. If only there was a public forum where the citizens could actually voice their opinions and be heard.

new topics

top topics

join