It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need help w/ serious teacher problem!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Recently, someone tore a Mexican flag in half on our local college campus (UNM). Anyways, (I'm a highschool student, by the way), my history teacher started talking about this with us. He thought that whoever ripped the Mexican flag in half had every right to, because "it wasn't flying under the American flag". Me and some other students told him directly (and politely) that we didn't think it was just for him to say this. He then told us that "we didn't respect patriotism, and needed to start respecting it." (he's not a war vet or anything, either). So, anyways, my grades in this class went down after this incident! They were fine before! What should I do?? Should I go to the principal?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by eliw777

your teachers being a arss
go to the princible and complain,expalain the situation and if that doesnt work contact your board of goveners at your school (if you have school goveners in the US)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Now there's a trend...

How much could your grades go down?

The flag incident occurred on 9-17-2007, the earliest it would have been discussed in your class is the next day (the 18th) today would be the fifth school day since the flag was torn down.

For those interested, here is the mea culpa from the perpetrator:

media.www.dailylobo.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Problem? Your teacher is 100% correct.

The person that ripped that illegally flown flag down should be considered a hero.

Grades going down? Maybe they should not have been that high in the first place?

www.usflag.org...

No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided,

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Problem? Your teacher is 100% correct.

The person that ripped that illegally flown flag down should be considered a hero.

Grades going down? Maybe they should not have been that high in the first place?

www.usflag.org...

No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided,

*SNIP* It's people like you that cause anti-Americanism in the world. >/

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Right, it wasn't a report card grade, but a standard weekly "analysis" that my school does, but the point is, that it affects my overall report card grade. What I meant to say is that he gave me bad scores in hw and stuff. I went from an A to C+.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by eliw777]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by eliw777
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Right, it wasn't a report card grade, but a standard weekly "analysis" that my school does, but the point is, that it affects my overall report card grade.

When you are wrong, you are wrong. Simply apologize for your ignorance on the subject, and I'm sure things will be fine.

If you think your opinion is right, what do you base it on?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I'm not saying that I was wrong, I was simply elaborating on what I had previously said. There's a difference between elaboration and correction.

Anyhow, I was raised to believe that everyone is equal, and was offended when the teacher implied that Mexicans are inferior to Americans. I live in a diverse state, and I have a diverse culture, therefore I am offended by racism like this.

What do you base YOUR opinion on? The fact that "them filthy wetbacks are breakin' in to our country"? I am ashamed that you can't seem to tolerate the 64% of Americans that disapprove of capital G.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   

What do you base YOUR opinion on?

The facts and the law? You on the other hand are basing it on "feelings". That is why being liberal is so easy. No thought involved, just feelings.

You felt offended, and you felt it was wrong.

Facts and Law don't matter?

He is something to help you. Try to reverse the situation, and then see if you feel the same. Let's say a group of Americans are studying in Mexico, and on the 4th of July they decide to raise the American flag at a Mexican University. Furious Mexicans decide to tear it down. Whose side would you be on then?

Don't let feelings get in the way, study the situation then make an informed decision. Stop being so liberal. I know it's going to be hard for you, but give it a try.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by RRconservative]

Edn

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't want to contribute to much to swinging this off topic but RRconservative, Kacen is right which what he said, it is people like you that contribute to racism and bring such negativity to your country. The law you quoted is so ridiculous its beyond belief, its just a flag, its just another hint that your country is still way to young, your not that different that those 'backward' countries in the middle east.

As for what you said eliw777 im pretty sure one thing (to a certain extent) your country still has is freedom of speech, though your teacher has the right to voice his opinions he doesn't have the right (or should have known better) to voice them at a school, and you have the right to have complained about what he said.

I would consider leaving it another week and see if your grades are still down, also if your friends grades are down if that is the case then you should talk to the principle of your school about it and hope that person isnt the type of 'patriot' your teachers thinks everyone should be.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I'm aware of the law, but don't you think it seems unnecessary to tear the flag in half, when more peaceful measures could have been taken, such as reminding the flag-bearer the current laws?

To Edn, I think that's what I'll do. It may have just been coincidental. Thanks

RRconservative: you sound like darth-vader or something. "Don't let your feelings get in the way!" I think your failing to understand that it was my TEACHER who made a racial remark that offended me, not necessarily the flag incident.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by eliw777]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

RRconservative: you sound like darth-vader or something. "Don't let your feelings get in the way!" I think your failing to understand that it was my TEACHER who made a racial remark that offended me, not necessarily the flag incident.

[edit on 26-9-2007 by eliw777]

Dick Cheney gets compared to Darth Vadar all the time, so I will take that as a compliment!

Your teacher made a racial remark? That's some new (made up?) information. This is the first time you brought that up!

As Bill O'Reilly might say "The Spin stops here."

Something that important to your story should have been reported from the get go. Most people now will think you are making that part up to inhance your credibility, which is about 0 now.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just so everyone knows...

There's a good Breaking News discussion regarding the flag incident here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It might be a better place to explore the various aspects of the incident.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Wow. You really just don't get it, do you?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

please be assured that all of ATS is not like that. I can certainly see from your perspective, I just decided not to get into it due to the right-wing hijacking of this thread

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
excuse me gentleman,but teachers are just dramaquenss with all the partiotism and i dont know what more,all they really care is theyr family and to have money to live as WE ALL DO!
you can expect to love my county that prices are high,people dont have money,people are bad,polution everywhere,i havent seen anything good from my country>_

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

That is a great response!

You can't explain it, change your story three times, and I don't get it?

Your inconsistancies...

1. The Mexican Flag was not ripped in half. It was simply ripped.

2. In your 1st post, you mention nothing about your teacher making racist remarks That came later.

3. Someone had to call you out about how a grade could fall in 5 days.

4. You editted the part from going from an A+ to a C on a weekly analysis. Bad grades in homework? A homework quiz is usually based on right or wrong answers. How can a teacher grade somthing wrong if it is right?

5. Now you say the grades might have been coincidental?

I just have one question for you. Would you let someone walk into your house and disrepect it in any way?

That is exactly what these people did by illegally raising the Mexican Flag on a college instituation. They disrespected the United States of America.

[edit on 27-9-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I just have one question for you. Would you let someone walk into your house and disrepect it in any way?
[edit on 27-9-2007 by RRconservative]

What if they were already there?

new topics

top topics

join