It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elite UK troops rescue Italians in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Elite UK troops rescue Italians in Afghanistan

www.guardian.co.uk

Troops from the Special Boat Service, the navy's equivalent of the SAS, were called in by Nato after intelligence reports that the Italians were about to be moved from a building east of the town of Farah. The SBS troopers were taken to the area by helicopter, and as Italian commandos stormed the building, the SBS attacked the two trucks in which the captors were about to drive the Italians away.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Was the driver and translator the same person? I don't quite understand the statement but it sounds like he was executed!

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
After reading the article, my understanding would be the Translator and Driver are one and the same.

It would make sense to have a driver who also speaks the language.

I don't however see anywhere the mention of the driver being 'executed'
It would seem he/she got caught in the fire fight, whether by accident or by being a participant.

With one of the two hostages being severely wounded..... I don't really see that as a great success.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Maj Anthony hinted that their driver might have been complicit in the kidnappings, and might have been killed in the rescue.

Sounds to me like they think he was in on it so they executed him. Execution is not unheard of when it comes to special forces.

Both the Italian soldiers were injured, one seriously. Italian media reported he had gunshot wounds to the head and chest. British sources said he had been injured before the battle and may have been tortured.

If what they say is true then it was a successful operation in my opion.

top topics

join