It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is NASA Planning To Ignite Saturn By Fusion? The Coming Of Sol’s New Sun!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Shown here is the Cassini Space craft. Notice the Radioisotope
Thermoelectric Generator (RTG).
Courtesy: hafif.org

So how does one go about terraforming the outer moons of the Solar System? At present they’re too far out from the sun to be habitable. They need the heat to kick start the process. So what does one do? Create a sun in the outer Solar System using a plutonium bomb! And NASA is probably planning to do so. Don’t believe it? Read on….

Published: 24 Sept 2007 21:40:42

There are a few people in the world, who with endless imagination and creativity in union with massive resources and high technology have been playing “God” and secretly experimenting with changing the makeup of our solar system. There are not too many plans conceived that could be greater than creating a new star in our own backyard.

The logic of the Lucifer Project other than the extreme thrill of creating something so amazing, if not of sinister intent, could be that in order for humans to one day break out of this shell of Earth we must create more favorable conditions for traveling within our own solar system. For instance, could humans one day live on Titan? Maybe, but how do we warm it up? We play the part of creator and conduct solar system terraforming on a grand scale by turning Saturn into a small star that supplies Titan with the heat and light it needs to awaken. Turning one of our gas giants, like Saturn, into a star is the essence of the “Lucifer Project.”

The Cassini spacecraft is currently orbiting Saturn, but is likely to be sent into Saturn July of 2008. This report was written with the assumption that NASA will end Cassini's mission the same way they ended Galileo's by plunging it into the planet. The polar orbits that are currently scheduled allow an impact with Saturn on July 7 and approximately every week thereafter. The Cassini project is to be concluded no sooner than July 1.

Read the full article here.

If this is true, what are the repercussions for Earth? For the Solar System? Is this part of 'Alternative 3'? Should’nt we stop trying to play God, who as per the Bible said, "Let there be light and there was light!" Déjà vu? But this time the affects would be horrendous. With the Solar System out of sync, it would perhaps be the end of civilization as we know it!

Have a nice day while it lasts!

Mod Edit: Reduced External Quote.

[edit on 25/9/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Not possible. This is just as false and overtly ridiculous as when they disposed of the spent probe in Jupiter's atmosphere.

apc

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I just tagged a few of the Lucifer Project threads... click the tag on this thread to see them. More found in search.

Jibba jabba.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
www.badastronomy.com...

But some people think that NASA had more plans for Galileo. They claim that NASA's nefarious scheme was to drop Galileo into Jupiter and use it to ignite Jupiter like a fusion bomb, either turning it into a star like the Sun, or simply blowing it to smithereens. J.C. Goliathan, one of the main proponents of this "Jupiter ignition" idea, has a long page about all this.

There are several ideas put forth, and they are wrong for lots of reasons. They sound legitimate, as many pseudoscientific ideas do, but that's different than actually being right.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
You'd need to do more than that to Saturn mate to do what Nature failed to do!!!

[edit on 25-9-2007 by timelike]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
hmm i can see some serious flaws in this idea. Also im sure the risk would be way too high and the margin for error way too small to be viable

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
If it were physically possible to turn Saturn into a sun, and we had maybe 100,000,000 casinis it might just work

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Lucifer Project - didn't Arther C Clark call the 'new' star made from Jupiter 'Lucifer' in the book 2010?

Coincidence perhaps..??

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Due to extreme pressure of Jupiters Hydrogen Atmosphere the nuclear payload of the previous probe triggered a chain reaction. This left a "black spot" roughly the size of EARTH (yes ladies & gentlemen)

The largest weapon ever made was the Tsar Bomba 50 Megaton Nuclear bomb. The fireball was 2.8mi diameter.

The Galileo space probe produced a blast 2821x bigger than Tsar Bomba.

Imagine that they'll crash this probe into the hole on the pole. What will happen?

I think i know the answer.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by PureET]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think that they are hoping that the immense presure at the depth they require will magnify the explosion. The article say that the 17lb of plutonium and 6000 km radius spot appeared on the planet, so 215lbs would cause ignition.

Not saying that i think its possible, just saying that stranger things have happened and it could be in the realms of possibility

[edit on 25-9-2007 by scepticsRus]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Ah well, I had a post of questions but lost them while making a edit. Not going to bother with them again.

This topic is quite interesting, I love reading about it. Think Ill look more into it myself.

[edit on 25/9/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by karlwb
Lucifer Project - didn't Arther C Clark call the 'new' star made from Jupiter 'Lucifer' in the book 2010?

Coincidence perhaps..??

Not at all. The proponents of this crap weren't creative enough to come up with an original idea, so they basically lifted it whole cloth from 2010. They even kept the name.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Didn't Clarke have to greatly increase the mass of Jupiter?

And Saturn's an awful lot smaller. Oh well, instead of a new sun we'll have a lightbulb. 40w

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This is purest garbage, so it's fitting somehow that you got it from RINF.

Not to echo Plait, but he did pretty much hit all the nails on their heads so I imagine I will end up with much the same material:

1) it can't explode

The thermogenerators aren't designed to be a nuke. It's tough to get Pu239 to explode, it's harder to get 238 to do so. 238 gets HOT. That's why they use it. Thus it tends to self-initiate before it's very critical, and that doesn't make for good weapons.

During a reentry, the thermogenerator will erode in chunks and scatter. There's no reason and no mechanism that will allow for a critical mass of plutonium to be separated from the generator and then spherically compressed at a rate fast enough to avoid a fizzle. It's going to be scattered in a long trail after the thing starts coming apart. If you somehow DID get enough together by freak chance, it's going to happen so slowly (and by slowly, I mean slower than a fraction of a millisecond) that it will fizzle: vaporizing and expanding enough to go non-critical, and then scattering as a gas.

2) even if you set off a nuke, you can't initiate fusion that way

It takes more than just a nuke. You have to compress the D-T to hundreds of thousands of bars, then set off another nuke in the center to heat it.

3) It's the wrong sort of hydrogen

And it can't be done with light hydrogen either, you have to have deuterium and tritium. The tritium won't be appearing here, so that's out, and there isn't enough deuterium by orders and orders of magnitude for a D-D reaction, even if you could initiate one. Devices built as thermonuclear weapons can't set off D-D. And you can't even muster THAT up on Saturn. It's going to be H-H, which is just about impossible even in a lab, much less in a weapon.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Planets the size of Jupiter and Saturn must have taken far bigger hits during the their lifetime from high speed objects with an observable net effect of a temporary local discolouration as we observed after the comet impact on Jupiter. If an attempt at triggering a fullscale chain reaction is actually the object of the exercise it would be the ultimate expression of vandalism at best.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Tom Bedlam

Here's an excerpt from the same article...

We do know Saturn is mostly composed of the same elements as the Sun, hydrogen and helium, but we are unsure if fusion and fission reactions would work exactly the same on Saturn as on Earth.

However, conventional belief says Deuterium and Tritium (isotopes of Hydrogen) are necessary to accomplish fusion. Both are likely present deeper into Saturn. What is important to remember is the tremendous pressures inside Saturn are the key here when talking about implosion.

So the premise is that both D and T are present on Saturn. And tremendous pressures too. But this is only conjecture. Heck! What if it's not?

[edit on 25-9-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Maybe this might work if nothing but tritium and deuterium were present at high pressure. This is not the case.

This will not happen.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It is impossible for this to happen.

In a star or a planet, atoms deep within are pushed toward one another by the weight of all the overlying material. If pressures are sufficient and temperatures are high enough (approximately eight million degrees Kelvin), then fusion is ignited, and that body becomes a star. Jupiter would probably need to be about ten times as massive as it is to reach the central temperatures and pressures needed for fusion.
source

And as far as us "igniting" Jupiter- there is no oxygen, You NEED oxygen for something to burn. Fusion is a Nuclear type-reaction, not a chemical or thermal reaction. And Galileo did not leave any such sort of a huge black spot. But the Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 did.

The large feature was created by the impact of fragment "G" on July 18, 1994 at 3:28 a.m. EDT. It entered Jupiter's atmosphere from the south at a 45-degree angle, and the resulting ejecta appears to have been thrown back along that direction. The smaller feature to the left of the fragment "G" impact site was created on July 17, 1994, at 7:45 a.m. EDT by the impact of fragment "D". The "G" impact has concentric rings around it, with a central dark spot 2,500 kilometers (1,550 miles) in diameter. This dark spot is surrounded by a thin dark ring 7,500 kilometers (4,661 miles) in diameter. The dark thick outermost ring's inner edge has a diameter of 12,000 kilometers (7,460 miles) - about the size of the Earth.
Source

Deny Ignorance.
Peace.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Oh, this is about Saturn. I forgot. Saturn is far less massive than Jupiter, and therefore even more impossible (is that possible) to turn into a star than Jupiter is. (and also no oxygen, which means impossible to "ignite" or burn.)

Peace.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
There is just one small problem with this theory. How do you explain the impact of Shoemaker-levy9 failing to produce ignition in Jupiter?

Also, what is there to burn in the gas giants? They are all light element planets, so you may get some light radioisotopes and a hot spot, but that would be it, right?

No, I think there are other reasons to scuttle the plutonium powered ships. One may be for testing, and another other could be prevention of nuclear proliferation in space. That is my take.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join