It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unjust war is the only issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
'Iraq changes everything.

Without it, we'd be having an interesting discussion about George W. Bush's tax cuts and whether his deficit spending threatens the nation's economic well-being.

We'd be arguing over his environmental and energy policies.

We'd be debating his court appointments, his immigration policies, the future of Social Security, the state of public schools, health insurance coverage and whether the federal government should influence personal choices like abortion, marriage and the right to die.

In other words, we'd be thrashing out the important topics of a typical presidential campaign, to discern which candidate has the best ideas for America.

But a deafening roar is drowning out the customary din of political conversation.'

America under Bush started a war, killed thousands of people, sacrificed hundreds of her own valiant soldiers and conquered a soveriegn nation, using the justification that this foreign government participated in a heinous terrorist attack and posed an immediate and serious danger to America.

Which wasn't true.

'And now I'm having a dreadful time paying attention to any of the other relevant issues of this campaign. What can compare to the single-handed destruction of the legacy America spent 227 hard years crafting -- a commitment to justice, principle and the rule of law?'

'I've wondered lately why I wasn't caught up in the American bloodlust to strike at someone, anyone, to avenge Sept. 11; why I recoil so reflexively when I hear war defenders suggest that America is entitled to do whatever it wants to further its own interests, principle be damned. The explanation, I've decided, is personal.'

'There is a time for war, but for America -- because we are America -- there must be principle behind the decision to engage in one. For months I listened carefully to the Bush administration's arguments -- but heard no logical justification for attacking Iraq.'

I hoped I was wrong, that we would discover Bush indeed had secret knowledge that would validate this horrific action. I fretted the possibility I'd have to write a humble pie column, in which I would have to concede my alarm had been unwarranted.

'Instead, the opposite has occurred. With each passing week, it becomes increasingly clear no case for war ever existed.

Yet many Americans seem unfazed by this. Half of us still believe he's doing a good job, as if lying about war is pardonable.'

'I'm bewildered by the ends-justify-the-means rationalizing I hear -- ''At least we got rid of Saddam.'' ''At least we're giving the Iraqis a chance at democracy.'' ``At least now we can put pressure on Iran and Syria.''

These effects of projected force were never seriously in doubt, just as there was no doubt Caesar would plunder the riches of Cleopatra's Egypt once he overran it. Inventorying the spoils of victory has nothing to do with assessing the propriety of initiating war in the first place.'

'My America, which once strove to lead, now bullies instead. It's fun to be the bully -- for a while. Others cower in fear and awe -- for a while. Your domination reaps adulation and fealty -- for a while. And your fans, drunk with the afterglow of triumph, are more than willing to overlook your unseemly tactics.

Maybe this is why Bush's poll figures remain strong.'

'But bullies never prevail because force has weaknesses, and the bullied search relentlessly to find them. Leadership based on principle, by contrast, inspires lasting unity and strength.'

www.miami.com...

This person took the words right out of my mouth...I could not have said it any better!

edit:this is not the whole article..I did not paste it all..but it was so good I could not help but paste as much as I did..

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
2.38 -- Tons of biological agents the Administration claimed Iraq had
6,868 -- Gallons of anthrax the Administration asserted Iraq was ready to use
317 -- Gallons of botulinum toxin the Administration reported Iraq was hiding
581 -- Gallons of aflatoxin the Administration stated Iraq possessed
0 -- Iraqi Weapons of Mass Destruction found

And a partridge in a pear tree.

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by DiabolusKlown]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
great article, thanks for finding it mcgotti

*hits the nail right on the head*

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Agreed. Many political figures in modern history- mostly Very Bad Men- used these sorts of tactics to keep in power.

Hitler used it. He pointed to the appeasement treaty and told his people "Hey, look at us, we're the most powerful nation in the world! we forced all of Europe to give us a country without firing a shot!"

DE

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
A very impassioned and semi-powerful article.
Kudos to the author.....the feelings, the energy, the passion of his beliefs can be readily felt and easily grasped by those who feel as this author certainly does....kudos and well done.
And even with this invigorating passion for which this author expresses in his opinion article, sadly, I don't agree with alot of it....

regards
seekerof

top topics

join