It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israelis Seized Nuclear Material in Syrian Raid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Israelis Seized Nuclear Material in Syrian Raid

www.timesonline.co.uk

Israeli commandos seized nuclear material of North Korean origin during a daring raid on a secret military site in Syria before Israel bombed it this month, according to informed sources in Washington and Jerusalem.

The attack was launched with American approval on September 6 after Washington was shown evidence the material was nuclear related, the well-placed sources say.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Articles:

www.timesonline.co.uk
www.france24.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Israelis 'Blew Apart Syrian Nuclear Cache'
Israel, US Shared Spy Data Before Syria Raid

[edit on 2007/9/22 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I don't know too much about this source but I know I don't like the term well-placed sources..

The article also stated that North Koreans were killed in the strike, I thought that there were no casualties.

This story doesn't feel right. I will let you read for yourself.

I am trying to find other sources and will update this when and if I find some.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Here is another one from the same source but goes into the details of the raid:

Snatched: Israeli commandos ‘nuclear’ raid

...Today the site near Dayr az-Zawr lies in ruins after it was pounded by Israeli F15Is on September 6. Before the Israelis issued the order to strike, the commandos had secretly seized samples of nuclear material and taken them back into Israel for examination by scientists, the sources say. A laboratory confirmed that the unspecified material was North Korean in origin. America approved an attack. ...

The raid was orchestrated by the Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak who was working on this since he took office on June 18.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Notice how very silent the arab nations have been on this attack. Not even the UN has said anything. Find that rather strange

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm not surprised and good for Israel and the U.S. for taking action.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well, either they did seize nuclear materials, which will surely lead to war, or it's a setup for another WMD scenario, which will surely lead to war.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
Well, either they did seize nuclear materials, which will surely lead to war, or it's a setup for another WMD scenario, which will surely lead to war.

the only outcome ... and i'm sure it's the outcome bush want's.

people need to keep their butts in their own country.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
So far I have only found the 2 timesonline.uk articles , and an AFP article which refers to the times article which has been released on numerous sites that use the AFP feed.

I am still looking for another article but Nuclear Paul I think you are right, whether this is true or fabricated, this is inching us closer to conflict.

EDIT: To add another article

This one from JPost which also cites the times story .

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This seems to be breaking news at the moment,
I can't find anything other than what you have cited JacKatMtn

Here's some articles on this situation:

North Korean Official Meets Syrian Delegation

SEOUL, South Korea, Sept. 22 (AP) — North Korea’s No. 2 leader met with a Syrian delegation in Pyongyang today, the North’s media reported, amid growing international concerns about weapons technology cooperation between the two countries.

N Korea trains Syrian missile engineers: report

A report says North Korea has trained Syrian missile engineers and the Arab nation has bartered farm products and computers for missiles from the Stalinist state.

The two countries have recently strengthened missile cooperation, with Syrian engineers staying in Pyongyang to acquire technology, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said.

Israeli Nuclear Suspicions Linked to Raid in Syria

WASHINGTON, Sept. 17 — The Sept. 6 attack by Israeli warplanes inside Syria struck what Israeli intelligence believes was a nuclear-related facility that North Korea was helping to equip, according to current and former American and Israeli officials.

N. Korea, Syria May Be at Work on Nuclear Facility

Bush Warns NK-Syria Nuclear Connection

This does not bode well..

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KINGOFPAIN
people need to keep their butts in their own country.

Somehow I get the feeling that you would be one of the first people to complain that the Bush administration did nothing to protect the U.S. if a nuclear device goes off here.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Maybe this week at the UN it will be brought up after Iran's rhetoric. That would be great. Show the evidence to the world.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

I was thinking the same but this is Syria and North Korea, although all the major players will be there next week.

I don't like this game they are playing..

This refers to ALL countries involved in these upcoming meetings at the UN.

A high stakes game of chicken with our collective lives hanging in the balance.

ok, ok, maybe I am being a little dramatic, but it does make you wonder

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
What a FANTASTIC WAY to bring all of the "Axis of Evil" into the game.

Say what you want about Bush, but NEVER call him or his administration stupid.

IMAGINE what could be done with health care or education if this government would set their mind to it! Maybe we should put oil wells in schools and hospitals!

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The first sign of a credibility issue with one of the authors of the piece at hotair, you can read it here.

This is the lead-in:

Grain of salt: one of the co-authors of this piece once reported that Israel was working on a bioweapon that would affect Arab genes only. He’s on firmer ground with today’s story but when you float something like that it’s part of your record forever. Consider yourselves warned.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Israel attacking Syria, unprovoked, to obtain radioactive materials.

1: Unprovoked. Syria did not attack Israel, nor did they broadcast that they intended to.
2: No casualties, yet, some people were killed who originated from North Korea... can someone say bogus information?
3: Nuclear/Radioactive materials. Radioactive can refer to many things, your home microwave contains radioactive materials. Your provincial/state nuclear power plant obviously contains nuclear material. Hell, your local doctors x-ray contains it.
So, basically as long as they brought back an x-ray, microwave, or knocked down a reactor, they are telling the truth.

Israel is really looking like a friendly bunch of people. lol.

What peeves me is this whole thing is being done to spark another war.

I cannot believe the number of war-mongers who are all for the US and Israel attacking the Middle East.
They have made their message clear. They want to be left alone. Your presence there is what is driving them to extreme measures.

[edit on 22-9-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Israel attacking Syria, unprovoked, to obtain radioactive materials.

Its not unprovoked!
Israel has a right to protect itself from the lunatics in Syria. What do you think Syria was going to do with nuclear material?
Its just like the cuban missle crisis. The U.S. was not going to sit by and watch the Communists put missles in Cuba. That would have turned into a war if Russia did not back down.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Here is another article, from Haaretz which basicly uses the times story as the basis of their own. At the end they mention an IAF fighter jet alert from today which I saw earlier but was going to wait and see if there was a conflicting story from Syria. They seem to be awfully quiet right now so I am posting that one as well for you to peruse.

Report: IDF seized nuclear material before Syria air strike

IAF sends fighter jets after Syrian aircraft

The IDF sent Israeli Air Force fighter jets after a Syrian aircraft that disappeared from IDF radar Saturday.

According to IDF sources, the Syrian aircraft was later found on the Syrian side of the border, after it had crashed.

edit:sp

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan

lol, never mind. That was too funny to reply to.

Okay. So back to discussing the facts instead of propaganda.

Here we have a report stating that Israel shot down a Syrian aircraft. Supposively carrying nuclear materials (again, that could be anything), then we have them stating that the raid was the first strike...

On the US side we have the media stating that North Koreans were killed in the raid, however, the Israeli counterpart of the report claiming there were no casualties.

The only thing that is constant is the fact that Syria has been silent. As if they were completely unaware that any of it ever happened. If it ever actually happened at all.

None of this adds up... especially the American and Israeli side of it.

I want to see what Syria has to say about this. If they say anything at all. For all we know, Israel might have never actually stepped foot into Syria at all.
Sounds like the same line of lies we had before the US went into Iraq.

Only this time, they seem to be creating a fake event to go along with the lies.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

I want to see what Syria has to say about this. If they say anything at all. For all we know, Israel might have never actually stepped foot into Syria at all.
Sounds like the same line of lies we had before the US went into Iraq.

Only this time, they seem to be creating a fake event to go along with the lies.

Why is it that you are doubting the Israeli and US version of this event, which you are more than welcome to do, and yet you seem willing to believe whatever Syrian officials have to say?

Is that how you ascertain "facts?"

What is it about the Syrian regime that has earned your trust, exactly?

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I don't think the issue is believing or not beliveing what the Syrains say because they have yet to say anything. It's a matter of remaining skeptical about WMD claims, especially after Iraq. Fool me once...

Showing the alleged nuclear materials to the IAEA would increase the credability of the claims. It seems surprising to me they were only shown to the US, before the raid it may have been for security reasons but now the raid has been completed there should be not problem with showing the evidence to the IAEA.

[edit on 23-9-2007 by KaneT]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join