It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans Disarnament Act to bar Vets from owning guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Veterans Disarnament Act to bar Vets from owning guns

www.newswithviews.com

Hundreds of thousands of veterans -- from Vietnam through Operation Iraqi Freedom -- are at risk of being banned from buying firearms if legislation that is pending in Congress gets enacted.

How? The Veterans Disarmament Act -- which has already passed the House -- would place any veteran who has ever been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) on the federal gun ban list.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-9-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Taking guns from populations is a very risky enterprise. Especially a country that has a Constitution so firmly entrenched into its collective mind. US has 90 guns per 100 people.
I have seen "leaders" who have taken the guns have there poulations in checkmate.

Will this be our future as well? "Shall we stand here idle?"PH

I say.. Long live the Constitution!
DWT

www.newswithviews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-9-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
When we the people allowed the morons in congress the take guns from "criminals" it was only a matter of time.

When the 2nd amendment was written the US was not devoid of criminals, so why didn't the 2nd amendment say 'except criminals"?

Because they knew from colonial days the "courts" could declare anyone at anytime a criminal.................

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I agree AP. It is incredible, the Veterans who dealt with all the horrors of warfare, just to be looked at as crazy when they return from war. Then to top it off the same people the Vets were fighting, and working for turn against them as soon as they return. Will America ever wake up, or do they secretly want evil to win???
DWT

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm all for guns but come one man - if someone says "sorry - can't work, PTSD - need my SSA bene's" then goes off hunting with the buds - come on....

This will weed out the players looking for a handout. Those that really are suffering have no use for a gun after all - they by their own admission and diagnosis are basically nuts and incapable of a normal life. A gun is not something for an abnormal person to be playing with....

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
MADNESS!!!!

I can honestly say that as a Veteran that has been diagnosed with PTSD, they WILL NEVER TAKE MY GUN...

Besides the fact I need one to work..

DNTWASTETIME, thank you so much for this alert...

I will be at the statehouse next week....

Semper

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Hey I can not believe that this two morons Democrats are doing this, my husband is so upset about this, he have not seen his personal records from the military since he retired and he has an entry about the post war syndrome.

But he doesn't know what it was all about.

I tell you this will target many of the soldiers coming back from Iraq, my husband said he is not giving his weapon away to anyone.

apc

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Probably because they're the ones to really worry about.

Considering there is a growing frustration with the way this country is headed, people will military experience will be the first to take up arms in mutiny.

Shouldn't this decision be up to the states though? It should always be the decision of the State to decide who can and can't have guns, as long as the restrictions aren't unconstitutional.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by astmonster

When the 2nd amendment was written the US was not devoid of criminals, so why didn't the 2nd amendment say 'except criminals"?

Because they knew from colonial days the "courts" could declare anyone at anytime a criminal.................

I think it was because almost everybody used to own guns in America. Being a criminal with a gun doesn't do much for you if everyone else has guns as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is a simple plan to keep guns out of the hands of those who have a disorder that can put the public in danger. This must have enough data to back it up for it to make it this far, I don't know where that data is located since I just heard of this today and haven't searched for it yet. But I can also see it as a way to keep any veteran from using this as an excuse to get free benefits from the tax payers of this country because of the latest conflict.

My Dad is a Vietnam vet who suffers from PTSD. He has gotten help for his condition but I can understand why he shouldn't have a gun because I lived with his condition this while growing up. It isn't something that most people would like to talk about but for the sake of getting my point across I will address this.

Some of these people need constant help to overcome what they went through. If they don't seek help they stay crazy. Would you want some crazy person to have a gun and then shoot someone for no reason?

My Dad has become normal again, thanks to the doctors and drugs he was prescribed, but this took time and lots of patience. Having a way to prevent anyone from being injured or killed is ok with me. This is just another counter measure to protect the public.

Here is something to think about:

How many people actually suffer from PTSD?

How many are faking it to get free benefits?

If you suffer from a disorder like this would you want to own a gun knowing full well that you can shoot anyone in your family or neighborhood if you lost control?

Laws protect the public. You can say what you want about losing your rights, but you only lose them if you lose your mind first. While I feel for those who really suffer from PTSD, they should not have access to a gun. I am a veteran that doesn't suffer from PTSD because of the way I think. It makes me wonder about the state of these people when they witnessed whatever it was that caused them to suffer. This includes my Dad, but he got help and so far he is normal.

Take this post as my thoughts on this. I am just one person who lived through the aftermath of someone who suffers from this, but who has also served and not been affected by the things I have seen. I don't own a gun since there is no need for one. My Dad doesn't have a gun either since he doesn't have a need for one. If you wish to own a gun then go get one, but if you suffer from a condition that can cause my death then i'll support anything that will keep guns out of your hands.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
APC that is what I told my husband, the soldiers coming back from Iraq may not be all very happy about what is going on with the Iraqi war.

This will target them specially also you are right my husband said that this is a state issue, he said his gun was authorized by the state of GA and that is all he needs.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Exactly all. I say Vets are the only real soldiers we have to defend our Constitution, and children. The NGOs have depleted the soldiers in country to basically zero, by design. Read The Grand Chessboard
There is no ammo for the guns, even for the Police!

There are only super soldiers out there like the real Vets, and wannabes like me to protect the people from evil.

DWT

]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Probably because they're the ones to really worry about.

Considering there is a growing frustration with the way this country is headed, people will military experience will be the first to take up arms in mutiny.

Shouldn't this decision be up to the states though? It should always be the decision of the State to decide who can and can't have guns, as long as the restrictions aren't unconstitutional.

nah, as pointed out before criminals not having them is unconstitutional, and I might add that the age limit also is.

law = who has the most money.

youre a capitolist pig, you should understand that.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm not sure what the OP is getting at. PTSD is a mental illness and so I find restricting guns to them with this condition a good thing, just like many other mental illnesses. If the person is deemed cured then ok let them have all they want.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime

There are only super soldiers out there like the real Vets, and wannabes like me to protect the people from evil.

Just who is it that we will be fighting? We have basically just two forces the military and cops. If it is their goal to keep the military overseas and the cops without bullets/equipment what other force is there to take over America from within?

[edit on 22-9-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
My active tour USMC ended late 67...PTSD diagnosis 87.

Opted-out of the VA solution; Psych Triage & meds...in favor of healthy & effective alternatives. By contemporary standards my life, for the most part, would be considered normal...at this point, maybe even mundane

Not curable...usually manageable...but definitely preventable...see WAR.

This is my rifle...this is my gun...this one's for fighting...this one's for....

I plan on keeping both of them

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm not sure on this. Does PTSD mean someone is likely to use a gun in a bad manner? I mean others suffer from it too, rape and car accident victims as an example, will they be excluded from buying a gun? I really know nothing on the effects on PTSD, but I think it (banning of owning a gun) should be based on an individual basis rather than a particular illness in general.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Xtro You must not know about the 80,000 Chinese troops in Mexico waiting to invade US right now. Dnt believe me? Do a google search.
When there are no Us troops in the country , we depend on the Vets to help watch over and organize our populace. In this mind controled society the Vet is a madman. BS
No ammo, no guns=no chance.

NWO made "Terminator" to tell you something.T1,T2,T3, Do you know what is next? T4

DWT

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Army Suicide Rate Highest in 26 Years

I think we need to examine cause/effect here. We've created a cause: the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the effect is soldiers with PTSD and committing suicide. The response by the government is typical of our society - treat the symptoms, not the cause.

If you lowered deployment times, allowed more time at home you wouldn't have so many soldiers with PTSD and you wouldn't need to create this law. Treat the cause fix the effect.

Unfortunately, politics and agendas are more important than the mental health of our troops.

apc

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Unfortunately the only agenda here is disarmament.

Someone, anyone, who wants to legitimately kill themselves is going to do it even if they have to do it with a spork. Congress knows this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join