It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merck abandons HIV vaccine trials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Merck abandons HIV vaccine trials

news.bbc.co.uk

Merck had previously expressed high hopes for the drug, which it spent 10 years developing.

\"Today is a very sad day for the industry because Merck\'s vaccine had shown an ability to turn on the immune system, which gave many people optimism it would work,\" said Sarah Alexander, from the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.

Doctors have said a preventative vaccine would be the best way to control the spread of HIV. \"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I hardly think its that sad a day for the industry seeing how much money they make on their shady deals and selling expired drugs to poor African countries.

I wonder how a company can spend 10 years developing a vaccine and have no inkling that perhaps it would not work. Seems to me like they are just going through the motions.

After all, we all know that its much more profitable to \'treat\' an illness rather then cure it.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScalamanderI wonder how a company can spend 10 years developing a vaccine and have no inkling that perhaps it would not work. Seems to me like they are just going through the motions.

I hate to tell you this, but that's the world of research and development. It's always been that way and it's not really likely to get better.

We are so quick to blame pharmaceutical companies for everything under the sun, including not giving drugs away, but the fact is that most of us would probably not be here if it were not for the drug companies motivated by the free market and private and federal grants.

We really have it too good when we so readily bite the hands that feed us.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
oh no they di'int..san fransicko is going to be up in arms!
how dare they abandon it? feather boas and tieras are going to be thrown about! we will not stand for this! c'mon you'all are you with me girls?

[edit on 21-9-2007 by josephus maximus]

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Reading between the lines...they probably succeeded in what they were doing, created a drug that would help control HIV, and had their hand slapped because of it. I expect they abandoned the research because funding was cut off.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scalamander
I wonder how a company can spend 10 years developing a vaccine and have no inkling that perhaps it would not work.

It's called science. Men are not gods.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Damn and I was hoping they were gonna go 2 for 2 for STD Vaccines.

top topics

join