It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pick Up Artist A Complete Joke.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'm not one for TV but I caught this program called "The Pick Up Artist" on VH1 somehow, probably through fate... Is it just me or is this guy a COMPLETE idiot? They have an entire terminology dedicated to picking up girls in a bar. The TEACHER/INSTRUCTOR/SKI GOGGLE WEARER is some guy named "MYSTERY?" Oh... And just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. He has two "wingmen", one mexican guy called "THE MATADOR" and the other called "DUMB***", probably.. The point of the show is to teach your "Average Frustrated Chump" how to pick up drunk girls and whoever actually does it, wins.. God bless America.

This exactly the reason I close my eyes going from MSNBC, to CNN, even to FOX.. Maybe the rest of you have a different opinion.

Worst
Person
Ever.

And a few other things. The guy sometimes wears fake peircings, fake tattoo sleeves, and constantly dresses in feather boa's, top hats, ski goggles, and a trench coat. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yeah, Mystery and his buddies are complete tools. I still like the concept of the show though. If they had a new host it wouldn't be too bad IMO.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
mystery has been a PUA since the very beginning. He looks strange and wears weird clothes, but it's to standout. He is legit, although the show is a joke.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

No... HE is a joke. Singular and specific, HE. And his cool terminology.. Lame.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The show is designed to attract poor, horney, loser, males between the ages of 14 and 25. This is a huge demographic. Look at the ads.

The veracity of the shows premise has nothing to do with it. It's like Fox for kids.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

That's pretty much every guy that I've met in the past few years. I guess we're looking at media gold, huh?

[edit on 22-9-2007 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ah, it's all in good fun. People like Mystery have studied social dynamics and broken down into a science how the "natural" goes out and picks up girls. You all know that one guy that could go out and hit on just about any girl, and end up with her number. They study that, break it down, and model it.

If anything, some of these nerds end up with better self confidence in the real world, wither talking to girls or just becoming more social overall.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Mystery has a show now? I wondered when he was gonna turn into a sell-out, like David DeAngelo. At least DeAngelo runs seminars.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is also part of the dumbing down of America. This is what 90% of males think is the right thing to do. It really is a shame. Fathers, teach your daughters well and set a good example for them.

Seriously, and I don't want to come of like a primadona because I'm honestly one of the most self-depricating, honest, down to Earth people you'll ever know, I could nab any of this dufus' women from him while he's picking up on them, guaranteed, and I don't need a fluffy hat and peach fuzz to do it.

This guy is leading our male and female youths down a path that will lead to nothing but problems in their lives. This guy is what you call a "poser". He's also what you call a "loooooooooooooooooooozer".

Peace

[edit on 22-9-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

That about sums it up. I see how social dynamics is important but this guy makes a total mockery of the science behind them. Giving his own psuedo-science on "disarming" girls enough so you can pounce after they drop their defenses. It's so juvenile. I would run circles around this dork and everyone he's trained ever by just being a "normal" guy. There's this huge GREY area that he obviously isn't jumping into with these poor little guys and that's probably the worst part about it.

Just the term "average frustrated chump," proves to me just how nerdy this guy is. The last time I called anybody a chump was back in 2nd or 3rd grade. His techniques are for lames. The terminology is most insanely dumb things I've ever heard. And he's taking guys in a direction that may be effective to a very SMALL demographic of women who would actually buy into it. It's like this amazing gem of idiocy that I stumbled on and I'm fascinated by it. How does something like this exist? It's like the holy grail of stupid, to me.

I've picked up girls all over the U.S., South America, and parts of Europe just being the regular scumbag that I am. I know I'm a pretty fun dude and I'm pretty outgoing but still... I don't see where just being normal (minus feather scarf, 2 foot fuzzy top hat, goggles, and the bottoms of a bunny suit) stopped being so OBVIOUS to guys. Women don't want a magician. They want a man who's not afraid to say "hey" or "Oh hey you" or who'll grab their jean loop for a dance..It's not complicated, I promise.

As much as he's helping these guys, he's hurting a lot of others. He makes spitting game kind of an ugly spectacle, with tricks and gimmicks when he should just tell these guys to GET REAL. Don't be a tool of some ex-magician. Just be a strong, confident, and out going guy. There's nothing limiting these men except themselves and the false notion of not doing some meaningless gimmick right.

So guys. **** a magician... Get your swerve on!

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 12:24 AM
link   
As much of a turd I think this guy is, I have to admit, my wife got me hooked. The show itself is nothing short of pure gold. I can't help but cringe as these guys are forced into situations they don't really want to be in. Mystery is a complete turd who has discovered that there are a few girls in small towns that still fall for eyeliner and leapord print anything

And his two sidekicks are nothing more than former dorks who have learned a couple of secrets on how to manipulate insecure girls in their favor.

Here wanna know the secret? If a girls shows the slightest bit of interest in you, ignore her and act like you don't care about her. Guess what? Her ego will be shattered and regardless if she thinks you're attractive you are now a goal she must obtain, if you can live with yourself by capitalizing on that then congrats, you are a "pick up artist"

Mystery is a nice enough guy who is doing the best he knows how, can't judge a man for that. I can tell you he is as pathetic as he seem though, just don't judge him for it.

[edit on 23-9-2007 by kleverone]

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Okay ladies - give me a go, learnt enough of that twit to charm the pants off a nudist.

posted on Sep, 23 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It has been my experience that by just showing women that you are interested in them as a person, look them in the eye when they talk, ask them about themselves, and getting them ****faced drunk is about all the technique you need to be a first class "pick up artist."

I would rather watch the Fox news channel than "The Pick Up Artist" but I must admit it's sort of like seeing an accident along the side of the road; hard to look away.

[edit on 23-9-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 23-9-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
i agree with the OP...this show is totally lame...that "mystery" guy looks like a douche bag.. if that fool came up to me at a bar dressed like that and using those pick uplines/moves i would laugh in his face..
and oh yah bars...what a great spot for quality women...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadgeand oh yah bars...what a great spot for quality women...:

Hey Babe.....

Who said anything about quality women?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
heh, not many fans in here huh?

:shk:

I still blame VH1 for making this show lame. Well actually, just the nature of this show is lame - but Mystery is a true innovator in the fields of Social Dynamics and NLP.

You could just pass it all off as manipulating peoples insecurities, but that is being very close minded and ignorant. It's nothing different than what anyone else does.. for some it's an unconscious process - to others, they have to learn it - like the show illustrates.

Once you understand this within the context of NLP and social dynamics, it's very interesting.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
When I saw this show it made me mad that "Mystery" is basically teaching these guys how to lie and BS women in order to get them interested. Unfortunatly, this is the truth in society. Fakeness seems to be in and honesty and "being yourself" is out.

As far as VH1 being to blame for this, does that really surprise you?
Look at their other QUALITY shows such as "Flava of Love", "I Love New York" and "The Rock of Love" All shows that are extremily phony and staged.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
i agree with the OP...this show is totally lame...that "mystery" guy looks like a douche bag.. if that fool came up to me at a bar dressed like that and using those pick uplines/moves i would laugh in his face..
and oh yah bars...what a great spot for quality women...

The bar is the one great level playing field we have over women.
In bars we have a dim light advantage
Beer advantage
Wing-man advantage
Other than that woman have us at all the other things...Our brain can not challenge the woman game.

new topics

top topics

join